Scotland Football Club

shull

Mixed reaction to this. Performances have been up and down, good run, but late goal and Lithuania at Hampden destroyed us. Agree with comments on too much loyalty to some players but overall made a good fist of average players. Historically we are not good internationally. For all those World Cup finals in seventies and eighties we failed miserably to get out the groups or in between to qualify for Euro finals. Moving games to sky really killed it for me and I cannot see much hope no matter who takes over.

12 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

Mixed reaction to this. Performances have been up and down, good run, but late goal and Lithuania at Hampden destroyed us. Agree with comments on too much loyalty to some players but overall made a good fist of average players. Historically we are not good internationally. For all those World Cup finals in seventies and eighties we failed miserably to get out the groups or in between to qualify for Euro finals. Moving games to sky really killed it for me and I cannot see much hope no matter who takes over.

Pretty fair opinion but I fail to see why moving games to Sky has anything to do with the future of Scotland national team? :blink:

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Pretty fair opinion but I fail to see why moving games to Sky has anything to do with the future of Scotland national team? :blink:

I've spoken to a few people who don't have SKY who would have watched Scotland games if they were on BBC or STV. They said that their interest had waned in international football because it was on SKY. The second perceived boot in the nuts was that the England games were on STV.

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I've spoken to a few people who don't have SKY who would have watched Scotland games if they were on BBC or STV. They said that their interest had waned in international football because it was on SKY. The second perceived boot in the nuts was that the England games were on STV.

I don't doubt this could be the case but these same people are unlikely to attend games anyway and I still don't see what impact, of any note, it has on the future prospects of the team.

On the other side of the coin people who have Sky could easily, if the team were doing well, be inclined to toddle along.

The whole Sky/STV thing is, IMO, much ado about nothing.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I don't doubt this could be the case but these same people are unlikely to attend games anyway and I still don't see what impact, of any note, it has on the future prospects of the team.

On the other side of the coin people who have Sky could easily, if the team were doing well, be inclined to toddle along.

The whole Sky/STV thing is, IMO, much ado about nothing.

I think it's scandalous that our national team's games are broadcast on a channel that charges a fortune to subscribe to.

It might only affect a small proportion of the support, but the SFA have sold out and in doing so have caused irritation in the first instance, followed by frustration and eventually a fair degree of indifference.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

I think it's scandalous that our national team's games are broadcast on a channel that charges a fortune to subscribe to.

It might only affect a small proportion of the support, but the SFA have sold out and in doing so have caused irritation in the first instance, followed by frustration and eventually a fair degree of indifference.

I don't think it's scandalous. A tad "dramatic". 

Also it depends on what you think is "a fortune" as its, IMO, more is it value for money.

It could just as easily be said people spend more on watching a diddy team in a diddy league. 

SFA "sold out" again, is more drama. 

I also doubt it has any REAL effect, apart from giving people an opportunity to moan about something and who almost certainly wouldn't attend any games so what effect does this have, again, on the team? 

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I don't think it's scandalous. A tad "dramatic". 

Also it depends on what you think is "a fortune" as its, IMO, more is it value for money.

It could just as easily be said people spend more on watching a diddy team in a diddy league. 

SFA "sold out" again, is more drama. 

I also doubt it has any REAL effect, apart from giving people an opportunity to moan about something and who almost certainly wouldn't attend any games so what effect does this have, again, on the team? 

I disagree on all counts.

Here is criteria for having sporting events on free to air TV - I'd say the national team playing the national sport should count under the criteria listed below

2/1 The Government wants to make sure that key sporting events are made available to all television viewers, particularly those who cannot afford the extra cost of subscription television. This is why some events are protected by law as “Listed Events”. 
2.2     There are many different sports and sporting events which people feel passionately about. Unfortunately we cannot list them all.  A listed event is one which is generally felt to have special national resonance.  It should contain an element which serves to unite the nation, a shared point on the national calendar, not solely of interest to those who follow the sport in question.

Later on in the document the government offers the opinion that only the finals of tournaments are important enough and that even although by their definition Friday & Sunday's Scotland games meet the criteria they are allowing the TV rights for them to be bought in advance. I would agree with the term "scandalous".

4. Why aren’t all national team games, including friendly and world cup qualifying matches, listed?
As far as national team football coverage is concerned, the finals tournaments of the World Cup and European Championship are listed, whereas friendly games and qualifying round matches are not.  This is because not all of them meet the criteria for listing (e.g. early qualifying matches against weaker nations). While it is accepted that crucial matches (e.g. those towards the end of the qualifying rounds) would meet the criteria, it is impractical to list only these matches due to the fact that the broadcasters would be required to contact rights holders as and when the national teams qualified.  Developments in football tournaments occur rapidly.  It would usually not be possible for broadcasters to conclude the necessary consultations with rights holders in good time.  

The solution is simple - exclude the last two "make or break" matches from the contract.

The Sky thing is a funny one.

We complain that Sky dont want Scottish football yet complain when they do and we actually have to pay to watch . Newsflash - Sky make you pay to watch everything.  FWIW , i dont personally believe that Scotland footy on the telly would have any impact on the team.

impact on the general level of interest in the national team , perhaps yes, but isnt it amazing how many of those "disinterested" punters squeal when they cant get a ticket for the game against the Auld enemy ?

It maybe hasn't done anything to the future of the team but for me it's killed a massive part of the buzz. Which in turn reduces the hype and interest created.

Unless you have sky sports then you need to go to some effort to be able to watch the games.

If it's appearing on everyone's STV then more people would end up watching even just by chance and get excited about it.

I'm not a big fan of watching football in pubs, there are too many distractions, I'm also not a fan of watching through dodgy links as you can bet your mortgage that it will stutter/buffer/crash at the important parts.

Someone kindly mentioned Now Tv before the last game which turned out to be brilliant and I will use it again but I still think more people would get excited about it if it was easy for them to see.

In my opinion that is what SKY does to it. People have England games on in their living room in Scotland ffs!!!

The Sky thing is a funny one.
We complain that Sky dont want Scottish football yet complain when they do and we actually have to pay to watch . Newsflash - Sky make you pay to watch everything.  FWIW , i dont personally believe that Scotland footy on the telly would have any impact on the team.
 impact on the general level of interest in the national team , perhaps yes, but isnt it amazing how many of those "disinterested" punters squeal when they cant get a ticket for the game against the Auld enemy ?

I don't complain about sky not buying scottish football. I complain about sky picking and choosing which leagues to make ridiculously strong at the cost of others.

14 minutes ago, Hambud said:

It maybe hasn't done anything to the future of the team but for me it's killed a massive part of the buzz. Which in turn reduces the hype and interest created.

Unless you have sky sports then you need to go to some effort to be able to watch the games.

If it's appearing on everyone's STV then more people would end up watching even just by chance and get excited about it.

I'm not a big fan of watching football in pubs, there are too many distractions, I'm also not a fan of watching through dodgy links as you can bet your mortgage that it will stutter/buffer/crash at the important parts.

Someone kindly mentioned Now Tv before the last game which turned out to be brilliant and I will use it again but I still think more people would get excited about it if it was easy for them to see.

In my opinion that is what SKY does to it. People have England games on in their living room in Scotland ffs!!!

In the teachers post he seemed to directly link Sky and the future of the Scotland team, that was my point.

All the other stuff about Sky is totally a different subject, with nothing related to the Scotland football team or the new manager.

As I suggested earlier, start a thread about Sky. 

Those of us who actually go to football - not you Faraway- don't need to subscribe to satellite tv as Saints are never on that. The SFA have decided that as we don't get any money from qualification to major tournaments, they can scrounge some from Sky and let the fans watch our biggest rivals instead. The wisdom of those who run the game here can be measured by the national teams consistent failures.

As for the next manager, the same people will be choosing so the same "qualities" for the post will apply. The last few decades of mediocrity have dulled my appetite for Scotland, so the predictable appointment of someone whose face fits the criteria does not overly concern me. Past caring really. Pity though, it could definitely be much much better than what we have at present.

6 minutes ago, Froggie said:

Those of us who actually go to football - not you Faraway- don't need to subscribe to satellite tv as Saints are never on that. The SFA have decided that as we don't get any money from qualification to major tournaments, they can scrounge some from Sky and let the fans watch our biggest rivals instead. The wisdom of those who run the game here can be measured by the national teams consistent failures.

As for the next manager, the same people will be choosing so the same "qualities" for the post will apply. The last few decades of mediocrity have dulled my appetite for Scotland, so the predictable appointment of someone whose face fits the criteria does not overly concern me. Past caring really. Pity though, it could definitely be much much better than what we have at present.

Considering you post in this thread on a regular basis really makes you look like a rather foolish frog. :lol:

Hop off and spread your happy opinions somewhere else.

Cannie wait till tomorrow, Liverpool v Man Utd, smashing.  :byebye

Just now, linwood buddie said:

Really don't think McKay is the guy for the job , I think it will go to Moyes.

Could well be Moyes.

He's a difficult one for me, done a great job at Everton, didn't get a real chance at United then he's slowly lost most of his credibility with his last couple of positions.

Let's face it, no one's going to turn us into the type of team we used to be, a thankless task TBH.