Scotland Football Club

shull

Doesn't matter, 6 from 6, they get zero and we still blew it? 

We did blow a great chance, I was just suggesting that the away win against the Czechs wasn’t as good as it looks on paper. Anyway, if this time last week we were offered the scenario of qualifying for next year’s Euro’s and losing these 2 games I think most would have taken it.

Roll on the world cup draw, no safety net now, which is very disappointing but we're moving in the right direction.

[mention=12180]truesaint[/mention] makes some point, but I see us in transition between the diddy teams and the big boys, a year or so ago we were not in that position.

As for the Euros, well, that will take care of itself, no predictions at this stage, way too early, unless you're a sad sack. 

When is the world cup draw?

1 minute ago, rabuddies said:

Actually, I rather think the way the great Hungarian team of the 50's, the Mighty Magyars, were turned into world beaters by playing as a team on a regular basis against Junior League sides, works teams and anybody else that could be found at short notice. Now, the fact that at the time it was an Iron Curtain country and everybody did what the Government said, or else, probably helped a great deal.  Now, wee Nicky has been practicing this for the last eight months so perhaps we might have a chance of adopting this philosophy in the near future.   🚔:fire

No disrespect but that was then, jeezo 70 years ago. 

I agree on the last point, wee Nicky for Scotland manager. :lol:

Ok, so, my view on the nations cup games overall..................

We have a more than decent goalie.

The defence, which if you look back to the start of the campaign, was all over the place, is decent, but still a work in progress.

The midfield is pretty strong, McGinn probably the brightest light going forward, but still lacking a real strong defensive midfielder, Jack contributes little IMO. 

Up front, despite Dykes being a "find" we still lack that killer touch, which is the same for lots of teams. 

I like Griffiths, sitter tonight apart, he has goals in him but he need to be playing for Celtic week in week out.

It's easy to criticise but the squad we have is as good as it gets IMO.

Clarke has done well with the players at his disposal.

There's no doubt we have improved and the world cup qualifiers, and possible friendlies, before the euros will tell us a lot more before the tournament kicks off in June. 

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Who shouldn't have played on Sunday then? 

And why? 

Team shouldn’t have had so many changes , you can’t just change that many players from one game to the next and hope you pull something off ,Clarke has made an arse of it IMO. Dykes was suspended and Robbo had a slight hamstring pull but that was essentially the only changes that were needed.

12 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Team shouldn’t have had so many changes , you can’t just change that many players from one game to the next and hope you pull something off ,Clarke has made an arse of it IMO. Dykes was suspended and Robbo had a slight hamstring pull but that was essentially the only changes that were needed.

Thanks for your contribution. :lol:

You, or I, certainly, don't know the condition of players so, no disrespect, I'll go with the guy who had us on a 9 game streak streak before blew it.

It's coming across you don't rate Clarke, who took Kilmarnock, a team we, St Mirren,  COULD be matching, to 3rd in the league.

THAT'S a real manager. 

PS it's noticeable that your posts after last Thursday's game were rather less than tonight. 😂😂😂

Edited by faraway saint

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Thanks for your contribution. :lol:

You, or I, certainly, don't know the condition of players so, no disrespect, I'll go with the guy who had us on a 9 game streak streak before blew it.

It's coming across you don't rate Clarke, who took Kilmarnock, a team we, St Mirren,  COULD be matching, to 3rd in the league.

THAT'S a real manager. 

I asked for your release from the sin bin and this is the thanks I get , gratitude would have been nice .......🤬

11 hours ago, billyg said:

True , but when you beat a team home and away , you expect to finish above them !

The Czechs were decimated in both matches against us. 

First game their entire team. 

Second game 6 of their best players. 

They would have beaten us home and away, if it weren't for that. 

A much better side who are light years ahead of us. 

Edited by Prague Buddie

32 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

As are Israel. 

1 hour ago, Prague Buddie said:

You neatly side step the fact that we also had players out.

Why this constant need for self-flagellation?

We won both games. Period. Therr is no "aye but what if..."

What next? Do we undermine our Euro qualification by saying "Aye but....if Serbia had fans in the stadium we'd have lost"?

Can we not just enjoy a wee bit of success for 5 minutes after 22 years without feeling the need to wallow in the shite?

Edited by oaksoft

24 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You neatly side step the fact that we also had players out.

Why this constant need for self-flagellation?

We won both games. Period. Therr is no "aye but what if..."

What next? Do we undermine our Euro qualification by saying "Aye but....if Serbia had fans in the stadium we'd have lost"?

Can we not just enjoy a wee bit of success for 5 minutes after 22 years without feeling the need to wallow in the shite?

For 85 mins against Serbia, it was the best I have seen Scotland play for a good number of years. At the final whistle my Mrs had to scrape me of the ceiling. I am still on cloud nine about qualifying. 

However, I am also realistic. We have a long way to go. We are still losing to the Slovakia's and Israel's of this world. Teams which an almost (minus their best striker) full strength Czech side disposed of comfortably. I am also fairly confident a full strength Czech side will dispose of us easily at the Euros (I hope I am wrong). 

Yes, we qualified, which I am elated about after suffering while following Scotland home and away for the last 20 years. But it merely papers over the cracks. Clarke’s results haven't been so spectacular. And most of the performances have been dross. 

Those 85mins against Serbia have given me hope though! 

7 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

For 85 mins against Serbia, it was the best I have seen Scotland play for a good number of years. At the final whistle my Mrs had to scrape me of the ceiling. I am still on cloud nine about qualifying. 

However, I am also realistic. We have a long way to go. We are still losing to the Slovakia's and Israel's of this world. Teams which an almost (minus their best striker) full strength Czech side disposed of comfortably. I am also fairly confident a full strength Czech side will dispose of us easily at the Euros (I hope I am wrong). 

Yes, we qualified, which I am elated about after suffering while following Scotland home and away for the last 20 years. But it merely papers over the cracks. Clarke’s results haven't been so spectacular. And most of the performances have been dross. 

Those 85mins against Serbia have given me hope though! 

Really?

2-1 and 1-0 against Israel..........................not what I'd call comfortable. 

3-1 and 2-0 against Slovakia, better but nothing I'd be worried about if I was a top team. 

As for us, I'd see it pretty close, certainly not "easy".

Time will tell. 

Oh, you must be watching a different team as we have slowly, and we came from a low start, improved.

I have already made the case we haven't played any real strong teams, that includes the Czech republic, but as we are in this level of teams we've only lost 2 from the last 11.

We are starting to look like a decent unit, we don't have a "world class" player like Wales who have Bale for example, so Clarke has built a strong squad who are starting to believe in each other.

Aye, the glory days are long gone but we are certainly in a brighter place than we have been for some time. 

On 11/19/2020 at 7:11 PM, faraway saint said:

A few decent points in this article IMO.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55003407

Certainly none from you though. You would think an inveterate gambler might try to either attend matches or at least brush up on his football knowledge before lining the bookmakers satchels. 😂

• 3 months later...
The new Chelsea manager has suggested Scotland take their young starlet Billy Gilmour to the Euros.
Gilmour has played 34 MINUTES for Chelsea this season. 
Dear Chelsea manager, shut the feck up. 
Not even close, he's played 399 MINUTES. [emoji1787]

I await, your "I'm out" reply [emoji14]

6 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Not even close, he's played 399 MINUTES. emoji1787.png

I await, your "I'm out" reply emoji14.png

In the league..............:byebye

I don't count games against Mickey Mouse teams in cups that the "big" teams don't take seriously. :lol:

Even if you're that desperate to try to make a point, just over 4 complete games a season...............................................:1eye

Edited by faraway saint

In the league..............:byebye
I don't count games against Mickey Mouse teams in cups that the "big" teams don't take seriously. [emoji38]
Even if you're that desperate to try to make a point, just over 4 complete games a season...............................................:1eye

So you don't count the minutes in the Mickey Mouse Champions League that the big teams don't take seriously. [emoji1787]

I'm out [emoji848]

9 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

So you don't count the minutes in the Mickey Mouse Champions League that the big teams don't take seriously. emoji1787.png

I'm out emoji848.png

Oh aye, 90 minutes in a meaningless game against Krasnodar (aye, giants) when Chelsea played almost a reserve side and a whole 5 mins against Seville.  :lol:

Good idea your out.....................out of your tiny mind. :byebye

A point well made. :1eye