Scotland Football Club

shull

On 6/15/2022 at 7:07 AM, faraway saint said:

What's next?

Scotland host Ukraine on 21 September (19:45) before visiting the group leaders six days later, with the Irish visiting in between on the same night Armenia host Ukraine.

I'll be in Ibiza for the home game against Ukraine, need to find a suitable bar to settle down and watch this game.

7 points should be enough, win/draw against Ukraine and beat Eire. 

Easy. 

• 1 month later...

I received an email from Oman Air . They are running day trips for games in Qatar. Pity Scotland aren’t playing. I love Oman. Very good hotels and great service. Might have taken up the opportunity along with my sons and a friend or two.

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

I received an email from Oman Air . They are running day trips for games in Qatar. Pity Scotland aren’t playing. I love Oman. Very good hotels and great service. Might have taken up the opportunity along with my sons and a friend or two.

What f**king use is that if you stay in Paisley ? 🤷‍♂️

21 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

What f**king use is that if you stay in Paisley ? 🤷‍♂️

Well…..I don’t. None of us do.

I do like Muscat. Nice  city

Would have been happy to base myself there for the World Cup.

Edited by Rascal

1 hour ago, renfrew156 said:

Does anyone think Scotland will win any of these games coming up?

When our biggest goal threat currently is deemed to be John McGinn then you see we have major problems.

Our biggest issue with the national team is that we never seem to be able to find a regular goal scorer.

I remember in the 70s and 80s during our golden era of qualification for major tournaments I witnessed at Hampden and abroad players like Law, Dalglish, Jordan, Gray, McCoist, Johnson, McAvennie, Nicolas, Archibald, etc

Some of those players were recognised home and abroad for their goal scoring prowess but stick a blue shirt on them and the goal return was often disappointing.

During that era arguably the best goal per game ratio probably belonged to Mo Johnston. His pairing at club and country with Ally McCoist was outstanding.

Can you believe that Scotland started Alan McInally with MoJo against Costa Rica in 1990 WC opener rather than an in form McCoist?  

MoJo was seen by SFA and managers of that time as a bit of a playboy.

Same issue went against Frank McAvennie. There was a fall out after the away playoff qualifying tie against Australia prior to Mexico. Both were two of the hardest working players on the pitch. 

When Fergie took charge of the 1986 WC opener against Denmark had Paul fcuking Sturrock starting ahead of a free scoring sensation in the top league in England McAvennie. WTAF? 

Next game against West Germany Eamonn fcuking Bannon started ahead of Macca and Davie Cooper. Only one recognised striker in Archibald started. 

Final game Fergie dropped Souness against Uruguay.

Up front Sharp and Sturrock. I’d have had fighters and winners on that pitch like Macca and Souness who would have handled the dark arts better than those two. Souness supposedly was dropped as news broke he was taking over at Rangers.

In 1978 WC Derek Johnstone taken ahead of Andy Gray who scored for fun in England and won PFA player AND young PFA award that season.

Even in WC 1982 Stein took Paul fcuking Sturrock. Jeezo. 

Some of the greatest club managers Scotland has produced but not immune to mistakes. The alledged playboy lifestyles of McAvennie, MoJo, Andy Gray, McCoist and Nicholas went against them. You only need to look at some other international forwards who led similar lifestyles but were given the freedom to deliver on the pitch.

BTW. Anyone remember when Aber picked up Sturrock by his ears and battered him into the Love St turf. Luggy then reacted violently and got sent off. Think we ended up losing that game mind you.

47 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

When our biggest goal threat currently is deemed to be John McGinn then you see we have major problems.

Our biggest issue with the national team is that we never seem to be able to find a regular goal scorer.I remember in the 70s and 80s during….

In 1978 WC Derek Johnstone taken ahead of Andy Gray who scored for fun in England and won PFA player AND young PFA award that season.

Erm…
naw.

wrong year, mibbe.  I was there.

(It was an ok journey.  Don’t grieve for me.  :)   )

http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/1978/squad_sco78.html

3 hours ago, renfrew156 said:

Does anyone think Scotland will win any of these games coming up?

Is the Ukraine game in Poland just an excuse for a big piss up?

image.thumb.png.eba7a9618e392021b0b38ee060b1888b.png

Why not? Two are at home.

Krakow is a lovely city to visit,

A draw there would be ok.

15 hours ago, antrin said:

Erm…
naw.

Derek Johnson WAS in the squad. I think he had scored 30 odd goals that season and scored in the home nations games. I think the biggest mistake was him not getting any minutes on the pitch in Argentina despite those facts.

Edited by stlucifer

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Derek Johnson WAS in the squad. I think he had scored 30 odd goals that season and scored in the home nations games. I think the biggest mistake was him not getting any minutes on the pitch in Argentina despite those facts.

Sorry, I picked you up wrong.  I know Johnson was in the squad ( see I posted it…?) but I stupidly thought you meant he was picked ahead of Andy Gray, who wasn’t in the squad.

I realise now that you think Gray should have been in the squad.  Apologies.

1 minute ago, antrin said:

Sorry, I picked you up wrong.  I know Johnson was in the squad ( see I posted it…?) but I stupidly thought you meant he was picked ahead of Andy Gray, who wasn’t in the squad.

Can't find anyone with that name........................oh wait, a spelling error, help ma boab, the end of the world.

Glass houses and all that, ya plum. :byebye

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Can't find anyone with that name........................oh wait, a spelling error, help ma boab, the end of the world.

Glass houses and all that, ya plum. :byebye

I had already mistakenly disagreed with the content of his post.  I saw no value in picking up on that, also.

For the same reason that, until now, I saw no value in quoting the following mess.

As for player's not being able to spot each other, we'll, you're having a laugh”

Edited by antrin

I had already mistakenly disagreed with the content his post.  I saw no value in picking up on that, also.

For the same reason that, until now, I saw no value in quoting the following mess.

As for player's not being able to spot each other, we'll, you're having a laugh”

Children, children. 

I had already mistakenly disagreed with the content his post.  I saw no value in picking up on that, also.

Taken with the grace of a slug, well done, you sink lower every day. :lol:

3 hours ago, antrin said:

I realise now that you think Gray should have been in the squad.  Apologies.

It wasn't me who suggested Gray instead of Johnston. I think it was SuperSaints1877 who I think was suggesting Johnston was taken to Argentina instead of Gray.

20 hours ago, antrin said:

Erm…
naw.

Andy Gray was in the bigger squad prior to the whittled down version that went out to Argentina.

My opinion is that Andy Gray was a better choice than Big DJ (Derek Johnstone not Johnson) who never tested himself beyond Scotland and some European games.

MoJo should have gone to Mexico instead of Paul Sturrock in my humble opinion but his shenanigans in Oz put paid to that.

7 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Andy Gray was in the bigger squad prior to the whittled down version that went out to Argentina.

My opinion is that Andy Gray was a better choice than Big DJ (Derek Johnstone not Johnson) who never tested himself beyond Scotland and some European games.

MoJo should have gone to Mexico instead of Paul Sturrock in my humble opinion but his shenanigans in Oz put paid to that.

I don't know if SuperSaints1877 made the same error but that was my mistake. JohnstonE. Not a Rangers fan so not really that interested. As long as you knew who I was referring to.