Scotland Football Club

shull

17 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Any update on Pattersons injury situation?

Looking ahead it's satisfying that we have him and Tierney for the next umpteen years in the attacking full back positions although I hope Patterson doesn't develop an injury pattern.

No confirmation yet but he’s having scans on his knee and ankle, worryingly the same ankle that was operated on last season.

Hope the boy is ok as he’s a cracking player, but I was very impressed by Hickey when he came on to replace him. 

10 minutes ago, HSS said:

So apart from stamps,passports and coins no one uses the term Eire?

Pilots…?

image.jpeg.75b8a10fc87b7670a41cee9337fdfd79.jpeg

you get signs like that all down the west coastal cliffs….  :)

eta

i now understand those signs are all round the…. Er….   Eire coastline, to mark its neutrality in WWII.

Edited by antrin

3 hours ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

It’s actually Rep of Ireland. No one uses the term “Eire” , except on stamps. 

When I send birthday cards to my children and grandchildren in Donegal, I always write the country destination as Eire .

They always arrive in the correct place .

I usually say "the Republic", but that's only because I have never been fully sure how "Eire" should be pronounced - I have heard it pronounced 'air', 'er-ah' and 'ear-ah'.

Recently I discovered that 'Alba' is not pronounced the way I thought it was, either. 😆

1 minute ago, W6er said:

I usually say "the Republic", but that's only because I have never been fully sure how "Eire" should be pronounced - I have heard it pronounced 'air', 'er-ah' and 'ear-ah'.

Recently I discovered that 'Alba' is not pronounced the way I thought it was, either. 😆

I would say Ay ra.

For what it’s worth I hate the term “The Republic”. Republic of where? South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Ireland?

For me, Ireland, Republic of Ireland and Eire all acceptable. 

Recently I discovered that 'Alba' is not pronounced the way I thought it was, either. [emoji38]
I don't refer to Finland as Suomi or Hungary as Magyarország, so I've no reason to refer to Ireland as Eire. I just tend to use the one language at a time - that language usually being "drunken sailor".

Yeah, Alba is more like ah-lip-ah.

10 minutes ago, Slarti said:

I don't refer to Finland as Suomi or Hungary as Magyarország, so I've no reason to refer to Ireland as Eire. I just tend to use the one language at a time - that language usually being "drunken sailor".

Only if you listen to that foreign chappie’s YouTube offers or you are using the Gaelic.

if you use use your usual drunken sailor, then you know it’s simply as it reads Al-ba.

51 minutes ago, Slarti said:

I just like to be precise. Ireland's a geographical term, though I believe the Republic uses the term in its constitution, it refers to the whole of the island of Ireland and I don't think they amended it after the Good Friday/Belfast Agreement.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I would say Ay ra.

For what it’s worth I hate the term “The Republic”. Republic of where? South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Ireland?

For me, Ireland, Republic of Ireland and Eire all acceptable. 

I would say Ireland's not, for the aforementioned reasons, unless you're referring to the whole island. But if you said "the currency of Ireland is the Euro", I would suggest that the statement is incorrect, as Northern Ireland uses sterling. :) 

20 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Quite a few Eerie supporters arrived at Edinburgh when I landed from Ibiza.

I'd have thought Glasgow would have been a better airport? 

Probably flew Ryanair, only need to get passengers in the rough location intended, I know one person flying to Germany but landed in Austria.

I'm living the life, watching in bed with the electric blanket on, I'm bloody freezing, and I can't face a drink either.

That apart, REALLY looking forward to this, revenge very much in mind, a dreadful performance against them the last June and three points should be enough motivation for the team tonight.

Scotland 3-0 Irish.

Get right into them, they are pish.