Scotland Football Club

shull

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

It's mixed feelings, overall, on last nights match.

There's no doubt not losing for 8 games on the trot is something to be happy about but the opposition in these games certainly play a part in this. 

The Czech's are, IMO, the only team worth mentioning in the last 8 games.

Over the years we've played better and lost so Clarke is showing why he's a good manager, getting the best from the players at his disposal. 

The manager has bravely stuck to a system that he and the players believe in and we are getting the rewards.

It wasn't that long ago he was getting criticised for his approach so credit to him for sticking with it.

As I mentioned last night, McGinn is getting stronger and more confident in each game, IMO he should be captain although that's unlikely with the return of Robertson. 

It's been a while since we've had something to look forward to like next months game, and while Serbia will be favourites, like @TPAFKA Jersey 2 has already mentioned, 5/1 is generous as we're confident and that makes a difference to the players when they step onto the park. 

The only "stat" that really matters is the scoreline but this is something to be aware of, we are unlikely to keep winning games with these stats............

image.png.4d9d21908c0efa0d5bbab1d8d3399b19.png

Good post. 
Starting with the stats they are very misleading (other than of course the possession stat). 6 shots on goal but not one save of any note for Marshall. Balance that though with the acknowledgement that of the 12 other attempts, 2 of them were brilliant chances that they squandered, and perhaps another two that you’d put in the very good chance category and on another night, another team may have taken one or two of those chances. For the most part though, their possession didn’t hurt us. Also factor in we too had a couple of great chances. Fraser had at least one in the first half, McBurnie hit the woodwork and there were a few other great openings when the very final ball let us down. 
Agree with the rest of your post completely.

I’ve already stuck a score on us. Only got 9/2 though because I use Willie Hills. I did a quick cost/benefit analysis in head about how long it would take me to download another app, register and deposit cash and concluded that my time was more valuable that the extra tenner I’d get for the additional half a point. 😃

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

There's no doubt not losing for 8 games on the trot is something to be happy about but the opposition in these games certainly play a part in this. 

And there's the "aye but" I was looking for from you. :lol:

What a joyless, miserable bugger you are.

Just now, oaksoft said:

And there's the "aye but" I was looking for from you. :lol:

What a joyless, miserable bugger you are.

Sorry, should I have posted a pointless "we won" post like your contribution? 😂

You're trying, and failing again, to make my post something it isn't.

As I said, best you stay out of football threads, you, after all, don't take your football too seriously, which is apparent from your simple posts. 😉

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

It's mixed feelings, overall, on last nights match.

Over the years we've played better and lost so Clarke is showing why he's a good manager, getting the best from the players at his disposal. 

The manager has bravely stuck to a system that he and the players believe in and we are getting the rewards.

It wasn't that long ago he was getting criticised for his approach so credit to him for sticking with it.

As I mentioned last night, McGinn is getting stronger and more confident in each game, IMO he should be captain although that's unlikely with the return of Robertson. 

It's been a while since we've had something to look forward to like next months game, and while Serbia will be favourites, like @TPAFKA Jersey 2 has already mentioned, 5/1 is generous as we're confident and that makes a difference to the players when they step onto the park. 

The only "stat" that really matters is the scoreline but this is something to be aware of, we are unlikely to keep winning games with these stats............

image.png.4d9d21908c0efa0d5bbab1d8d3399b19.png

On reflection I think you’re maybe being slightly harsh on that point. You have to talk about the opposition in terms of where we currently sit as a team. On that basis  I’d put Slovakia and probably Israel too in the teams of note category. Completely agree though on Czech C Team, Kazakhstan, Cyprus and San Marino and out of those only San Marino (and at a push Kazakhstan) did we beat comfortably. 

5 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

On reflection I think you’re maybe being slightly harsh on that point. You have to talk about the opposition in terms of where we currently sit as a team. On that basis  I’d put Slovakia and probably Israel too in the teams of note category. Completely agree though on Czech C Team, Kazakhstan, Cyprus and San Marino and out of those only San Marino (and at a push Kazakhstan) did we beat comfortably. 

I'm well aware where we are in the world rankings, currently 49th, and as such we are amongst other teams that are similarly average.

Slovakia have won ONE game in over a year. dropping like a stone.

The diddy that is Oaksoft cited they had qualified for 2 tournaments since we last qualified.

That's as pointless as saying we qualified for 5 world cups on the trot or England won the world cup, historic form means little.

Israel are almost as bad, played 10, winning just TWO in just over a year. 

So, between them they have won 3 games from 21. 

Hey, we are where we are but these teams are not, IMO, in the same league as the Czech's, who have won 5 from 11 over the same period.

I'm using the last year as a decent pointer towards form, not going back to 2016 or 2010. :lol:

PS The Czech reserves battered us for the last 20 minutes, put us under more pressure than any of the other teams named above. 

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I'm well aware where we are in the world rankings, currently 49th, and as such we are amongst other teams that are similarly average.

The diddy that is Oaksoft cited they had qualified for 2 tournaments since we last qualified.

That's as pointless as saying we qualified for 5 world cups on the trot or England won the world cup, historic form means little.

Hey, we are where we are but these teams are not, IMO, in the same league as the Czech's, who have won 5 from 11 over the same period.

I'm using the last year as a decent pointer towards form, not going back to 2016 or 2010. :lol:

PS The Czech reserves battered us for the last 20 minutes, put us under more pressure than any of the other teams named above. 

Aye, including their first team 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Also depends on how you define “teams of note”. I take that to mean teams of our standing or higher.

if by that you mean teams you wouldn’t ordinarily give yourself a chance of beating, then I wouldn’t even put the Czechs in that category. 
Out of curiosity, genuine question because I haven’t, have you evaluated the 5 Czech wins in the same way you have ours ie who did they beat?

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Also depends on how you define “teams of note”. I take that to mean teams of our standing or higher.

if by that you mean teams you would ordinarily give yourself a chance of beating, then I wouldn’t even put the Czechs in that category. 
Out of curiosity, genuine question because I haven’t, have you evaluated the 5 Czech wins in the same way you have ours ie who did they beat?

England 2-1

Kosovo 1-0

Slovakia 3-1

Cyprus 2-1

Israel 2-1

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Not really..................funny thing the mind. :P

image.png.6d70877d63cb42fe2c104770dd3265d0.png

I can’t see the “pressure” stat there. 
I also can’t see the stat that quantifies how much bother we were in for all their possession and attempts at goal. Absolutely zero of which troubled our keeper. 
I’m not denying they had a few good chances, but so did we and I genuinely felt like we weren’t going to concede. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I can’t see the “pressure” stat there. 
I also can’t see the stat that quantifies how much bother we were in for all their possession and attempts at goal. Absolutely zero of which troubled our keeper. 
mom not denying they had a few good chances, but so did we and I genuinely felt like we weren’t going to concede. 

The last 20 minutes we were sitting so deep we were almost in the stand behind the goals.

Don't you remember? 

Up until that point we were the better team, their reserves didn't even know each others names. 

17 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Sorry, should I have posted a pointless "we won" post like your contribution? 😂

You're trying, and failing again, to make my post something it isn't.

As I said, best you stay out of football threads, you, after all, don't take your football too seriously, which is apparent from your simple posts. 😉

I think Oaksoft is obsessed with u in someway, seems to follow you about forum..seems to be some kind of stalker or have a crush on u...

• 3 weeks later...