Scotland Football Club

shull

Guest TPAFKATS

Our captain just won the champions league.
We have more players in from the English Premier than we've had in a while.
We have a plethora of treble, treble winners
And yet...

We've lost 6-1 on aggregate over 2 home games where our best player has been our keeper. Arguably the next 2 best players were our centre halfs, also from the championship, one making his debut.

McGregor was a ghost in both games.
Mctominay is a holding midfielder who can't hold.
Even O'Donnell's diving was second rate.
Matt Phillips ffs.

Guest TPAFKATS
He has to go 4-5-1 and try to stop the cheap goals
Since all our decent players are in midfield but the attitude stinks
I thought it was 4-5-1 given the lack of support to the "striker" over the last 2 games.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Our captain just won the champions league.
We have more players in from the English Premier than we've had in a while.
We have a plethora of treble, treble winners
And yet...

We've lost 6-1 on aggregate over 2 home games where our best player has been our keeper. Arguably the next 2 best players were our centre halfs, also from the championship, one making his debut.

McGregor was a ghost in both games.
Mctominay is a holding midfielder who can't hold.
Even O'Donnell's diving was second rate.
Matt Phillips ffs.

Not many gained pass marks. I guess Steve Clarke now knows the magnitude of the job in front of him. Putting things in some sort of perspective though is the fact that we were playing the worlds best team tonight. Russia too are highly rated. Both are currently out of our league, sadly. 

Must say i absolutely love to see Scotland get pumped, how anybody can support a team with an old-firm player in it is beyond me....Scotland fans are brutal as well, more of a fancy dress party than anything...seriously would not watch Scotland if they were playing in my garden....in gym tonight and most guys in there having good laugh about Scotland, nobody cares...

8 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Must say i absolutely love to see Scotland get pumped, how anybody can support a team with an old-firm player in it is beyond me....Scotland fans are brutal as well, more of a fancy dress party than anything...seriously would not watch Scotland if they were playing in my garden....in gym tonight and most guys in there having good laugh about Scotland, nobody cares...

You get one half of the gruesome twosome saying there's an agenda against them

That's their excuse to support England and Norn Iron

But the real reason is that we are pish

They also don't play any Scots in their team so i don't see the point in their youth system

Well, looking ahead, next up Russia away...................................🙈

After that we have an opportunity to build some confidence with games against San Marino (H), Cyprus (A) and Kazakhstan (H)

Surely we need to target 9 points from the last 3 games to give us some hope in this fecking stupid play off route? 

It's hard to see us causing any half decent teams any real problems at the minute, unfortunately it's a struggle to see us qualifying no matter how many chances we get.

:(

9 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Not many gained pass marks. I guess Steve Clarke now knows the magnitude of the job in front of him. Putting things in some sort of perspective though is the fact that we were playing the worlds best team tonight. Russia too are highly rated. Both are currently out of our league, sadly. 

The reality is we are a very poor team. Even in the Bertie days we got some good results  ... the group doesnt lie we are a 5th pot seed. Thought Clarke got it all wrong but then again what did he win as a manager ? Why did he not pick another CF... why did he drop our wide players. I reckon he just wanted everyone to get a game. Johnny Russell ???

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Well, looking ahead, next up Russia away...................................🙈

After that we have an opportunity to build some confidence with games against San Marino (H), Cyprus (A) and Kazakhstan (H)

Surely we need to target 9 points from the last 3 games to give us some hope in this fecking stupid play off route? 

It's hard to see us causing any half decent teams any real problems at the minute, unfortunately it's a struggle to see us qualifying no matter how many chances we get.

:(

San Marino have targeted 5th 

29 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

The reality is we are a very poor team. Even in the Bertie days we got some good results  ... the group doesnt lie we are a 5th pot seed. Thought Clarke got it all wrong but then again what did he win as a manager ? Why did he not pick another CF... why did he drop our wide players. I reckon he just wanted everyone to get a game. Johnny Russell ???

Aye, although he was in charge for over two and a half years, with a win rate of just over 28%, a goal difference of -19. :lol:

I'll not quote some of the results, I'm still trying to block them out. 

Clarke's been in the job for 5 minutes, Johnny Russel has scored 18 goals in 49 appearances, what other forward do we have that's better than that? 

While Clarke's not "won" anything I think his experience in England and taking Kilmarnock to third would suggest he knows more than you, or anyone on this forum about how to manage a football team. 

Aye, although he was in charge for over two and a half years, with a win rate of just over 28%, a goal difference of -19. [emoji38]
Clarke's been in the job for 5 minutes, Johnny Russel has scored 18 goals in 49 appearances, what other forward do we have that's better than that? 
While Clarke's not "won" anything I think his experience in England and taking Kilmarnock to third would suggest he knows more than you, or anyone on this forum about how to manage a football team. 

Indeed, and looking at the managers he worked under as coach at Chelsea, he has a wealth of experience and is very highly thought of.

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, although he was in charge for over two and a half years, with a win rate of just over 28%, a goal difference of -19. :lol:

Again as of yesterday I am wrong, he had one good result v Holland in play off followed by 6-0 defeat

Bertie was shite

Going on Hols next week thank feck, will go to Wizard of Oz and try and get a brain :P

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Again as of yesterday I am wrong, he had one good result v Holland in play off followed by 6-0 defeat

Bertie was shite

Going on Hols next week thank feck, will go to Wizard of Oz and try and get a brain :P

A bit of grace in admitting a mistake, that'll never catch on, especially in Stirling. :thumbs2

7 minutes ago, munoz said:

Clarke is definitely the best Scottish manager available. The national team are lucky to have him.

Agreed, it’s Clarke or Strachan (who I believe we should never have punted). Clarke has worked at a higher level than most of our options, and his turnaround at Kilmarnock was phenomenal - not even a transfer market needed to turn a shitey relegation side into a quality side.

Clarke’s turnaround at Kilmarnock is what Scotland need here, a manager who can turn shite into gold. Unfortunately it’s a very difficult task, but in fairness he’s had two games against a Belgian side who have a habit of smashing goals in, a tough gig against a good Russian team and the narrow win over Cyprus. Too early to judge Clarke, and fans need to remember the pish he’s working with.

7 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Agreed, it’s Clarke or Strachan (who I believe we should never have punted). Clarke has worked at a higher level than most of our options, and his turnaround at Kilmarnock was phenomenal - not even a transfer market needed to turn a shitey relegation side into a quality side.

Clarke’s turnaround at Kilmarnock is what Scotland need here, a manager who can turn shite into gold. Unfortunately it’s a very difficult task, but in fairness he’s had two games against a Belgian side who have a habit of smashing goals in, a tough gig against a good Russian team and the narrow win over Cyprus. Too early to judge Clarke, and fans need to remember the pish he’s working with.

While I've already stated my faith in Clarke this isn't close to some of the pish we've had over the last 10-15 years. 

We probably have more players playing in the top 2 leagues in England, with a decent proportion in the top league.

Unfortunately any players playing in Scotland, even with Celtic, are not particularly skilled. 

There's plenty people throwing their theories around, the fact is there's something not happening when they step on the park.

Even although NIrelnad lost 0-2 to Germany last night they were well in the game and created more than a few decent chances, we simply don't. 

If we don't win the last 3 games against diddy teams the pressure will be really on Clarke. 

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

While I've already stated my faith in Clarke this isn't close to some of the pish we've had over the last 10-15 years. 

We probably have more players playing in the top 2 leagues in England, with a decent proportion in the top league.

Unfortunately any players playing in Scotland, even with Celtic, are not particularly skilled. 

There's plenty people throwing their theories around, the fact is there's something not happening when they step on the park.

Even although NIrelnad lost 0-2 to Germany last night they were well in the game and created more than a few decent chances, we simply don't. 

If we don't win the last 3 games against diddy teams the pressure will be really on Clarke. 

It might be a better Scotland team than in recent years, but it’s still nothing of the quality of Belgium or Russia, and qualification was always going to be a long shot with this group.

I do think Clarke will get until the Nations League at least. Bulgaria are beatable but I would worry if Serbia made the final.

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

It might be a better Scotland team than in recent years, but it’s still nothing of the quality of Belgium or Russia, and qualification was always going to be a long shot with this group.

I do think Clarke will get until the Nations League at least. Bulgaria are beatable but I would worry if Serbia made the final.

I wasn't comparing the current team to Belgium, I was comparing it to the recent quality of players previous managers, who were roundly slagged off, had to choose from.

There's no doubt Scottish players, on international duty, under perform, but they perform reasonable well in league games. 

Clarke will, and should, get to the next qualifying for the world cup, the revolving door has to stop some time and most agree Clarke is probably as good as we have right now. 

18 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I wasn't comparing the current team to Belgium, I was comparing it to the recent quality of players previous managers, who were roundly slagged off, had to choose from.

There's no doubt Scottish players, on international duty, under perform, but they perform reasonable well in league games. 

Clarke will, and should, get to the next qualifying for the world cup, the revolving door has to stop some time and most agree Clarke is probably as good as we have right now. 

I agree here. I still feel we should never have gotten rid of Strachan. Couldn’t see any better options than him, and he was doing a decent job with an average squad.