Scotland Football Club

shull

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Biggest mistake was Iain Munro not getting near that squad

Iain Munro could not really be considered for the WC in ‘78.

Season 77/78 was our first season in the new Premier League and we finished just above the bottom two. It’s no surprise he was overlooked imo.

I do think there  were more experienced players in that squad at the time. Munro and Peter Weir broke through into the Scottish team in 79. What a great left wing we had back then.

Not ideal losing Danny McGrain before the finals. Stupidly taking an injured Gordon McQueen. The problem with the squad he took was it peaked a year or two earlier. He stuck by players that got him to the WC but some were way out of form.

Still find it unbelievable that we never pumped Iran. Peru were a good South American team. 

Edited by SuperSaints1877

1 hour ago, antrin said:

And Sandy Jardine.

loyalty had a high price.  :(

If we had a fully fit Danny McGrain and Gordon McQueen it would have been so different. 

A fit Jardine was a great footballer who could play across the whole back 4 so great cover.

I’d have left out Willie Johnston for John Robertson and brought Davie Cooper.

Don Masson and Bruce Rioch were probably past their prime but Ally took them and played them out of loyalty.

Souness only played against Holland and what a difference he made. A power house in midfield who at that age should have started every game ahead of Masson.

What a squad we had back then though.

What was fcuking pitiful of the SFA was in not providing proper hotel and training facilities. I bet the blazers went first class. Corrupt as usual. 

I think with a fully fit squad and a few changes that was arguably the best squad we had as we had players throughout that team who went onto dominate English and European football over the next few years. Souness and Dalglish won European Cup in 78, 81 and 84 with Liverpool.

Kenny Burns and John Robertson won European Cup in 79 and 80 with Nottingham Forest.

Always amazed me that the proud Scottish captain of Forest John McGovern never ever got a cap for the national team despite leading his team to back to back European Cup wins.

40 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

If we had a fully fit Danny McGrain and Gordon McQueen it would have been so different. 

A fit Jardine was a great footballer who could play across the whole back 4 so great cover.

I’d have left out Willie Johnston for John Robertson and brought Davie Cooper.

Don Masson and Bruce Rioch were probably past their prime but Ally took them and played them out of loyalty.

Souness only played against Holland and what a difference he made. A power house in midfield who at that age should have started every game ahead of Masson.

What a squad we had back then though.

What was fcuking pitiful of the SFA was in not providing proper hotel and training facilities. I bet the blazers went first class. Corrupt as usual. 

I think with a fully fit squad and a few changes that was arguably the best squad we had as we had players throughout that team who went onto dominate English and European football over the next few years. Souness and Dalglish won European Cup in 78, 81 and 84 with Liverpool.

Kenny Burns and John Robertson won European Cup in 79 and 80 with Nottingham Forest.

Always amazed me that the proud Scottish captain of Forest John McGovern never ever got a cap for the national team despite leading his team to back to back European Cup wins.

Those were (nearly) the days.

• shull changed the title to Scotland v Ukraine Nations League 21/9/22
On 9/20/2022 at 7:41 AM, faraway saint said:

Wednesdays game is on ITV4, a surprising bonus.

I'll take a wander along to a wee bar today to check if he's showing the match, the downside being local time here means a 8:45 kick off.

So, barman only too happy to put the Scotland game on, taking 2 new American "pals" with us to watch the soccer. 

The bigger test is easing up on the never ending flow of bevvy to be in top form tonight. 😉