Scotland Football Club

shull

Just now, faraway saint said:

IF VAR had been used the Austrian first goal would have been offside.

I don't happen to agree that if ANY part of the body is offside, it should be the foot IMO, but there was an arm hanging out.

Ach well, them's the breaks. 

If VAR was used then Scotland’s first goal might have been ruled out

A perfect example of why we have a bit of a downer on friendlies.

in a competitive match there is no way he swaps Patterson and Robertson with O’Donnell and Hickey. That was the moment we lost our attacking threat. 
EVERYBODY knows Scotland are always at their best when they are taking the game to the opposition. 
I’m sure Clarke won’t be too bothered but we as fans find it very frustrating. Well I do anyway.

All that said no one could deny that Austria deserved at least a point, but throwing away a 2 goal lead in any game should always be treated as very disappointing. 

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

IF VAR had been used the Austrian first goal would have been offside.

I don't happen to agree that if ANY part of the body is offside, it should be the foot IMO, but there was an arm hanging out.

Ach well, them's the breaks. 

I’d take it a step further and say it should be any part of your body that you can legally score with but yes, definitely not an arm. Makes no sense at all. 

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

A perfect example of why we have a bit of a downer on friendlies.

in a competitive match there is no way he swaps Patterson and Robertson with O’Donnell and Hickey. That was the moment we lost our attacking threat. 
EVERYBODY knows Scotland are always at their best when they are taking the game to the opposition. 
I’m sure Clarke won’t be too bothered but we as fans find it very frustrating. Well I do anyway.

All that said no one could deny that Austria deserved at least a point, but throwing away a 2 goal lead in any game should always be treated as very disappointing. 

One of Clarke's strengths is he gives youth time on the park, not just in the squad.

Hickey is 19, playing in Serie A, and every minute he gets on the park will bring him on. 

Patterson had put in a good shift defending, as I mentioned earlier, as this is a side of his game he has to improve. 

A friendly, not a better time to give some players time on the park.

The real game(s) are coming. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

One of Clarke's strengths is he gives youth time on the park, not just in the squad.

Hickey is 19, playing in Serie A, and every minute he gets on the park will bring him on. 

Patterson had put in a good shift defending, as I mentioned earlier, as this is a side of his game he has to improve. 

A friendly, not a better time to give some players time on the park.

The real game(s) are coming. 

Can’t disagree with any of that. 

Only thing I’d say is momentum is a big thing too. As is consistency. I’ve no issue with making changes. In fact at half time I was calling for him to replace Ferguson and Armstrong both of whom it just wasn’t happening for tonight. If he felt Patterson had done enough I’d have put Hickey on at RWB where he plays reasonably regularly for Bologna.

I just don’t see the point of giving O’Donnell any game time. I’m not an O’Donnell knocker, I just don’t think he’s the future and he’s not even the present unless we are very desperate. 

It’s really my only criticism of Clarke, the fact that he makes a fair few baffling subs. I just think sometimes he tries a wee bit too hard to keeps the clubs happy. 

22 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’d take it a step further and say it should be any part of your body that you can legally score with but yes, definitely not an arm. Makes no sense at all. 

Nice way to summarise it, 100%, NO advantage if your hand/arm is "offside".

I'm going to steal this and send it to the football authorities and claim it as my own. :lol:

39 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

2-2 final score.

Austria deserved a point, at least, probably the best they've played in the last 3 games we've played them. 

Lots to be positive about, we're still undefeated in yonks, and can look forward to the Ukraine game with plenty  of confidence. 

Well done Scotland. :thumbs2

Austria never got a point tonight,they got a draw 😉