Alexander Blackman? Right or wrong decision?

stlucifer

For me. Definitely wrong.

As a nation we are continuously crying outrage at terrorists capturing and killing our troops on the ground and showing the film of the assassination. How is that different from a well trained soldier walking up to an injured combatant and deliberately shooting him and proclaiming that he knew it was against the code of conduct expected from our troops. I feel sorry for anyone caught up in war but how would this have went down if it was a soldier from our enemies doing precisely what he did? The guy lying on the ground may have been coerced into battle. We can't know. The only thing we can do is deter our soldiers from committing atrocities.

A question to easily test the intelligence of the respondent.

The guy is a murderer and should stay in jail for some time.

I'd imagine with a few years this type of behaviour will be perfectly acceptable for British and American troops mind you.

Edited by Kemp

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. Arthur Wellesley

war is wrong 

Violence of all kinds is wrong unless purely and demonstrably in self defence. I think we are too willing to "support our boys" unconditionally without really thinking through what they are voluntarily doing in our name. This guy is not alone in engaging in this sort of act.

When we call people "heroes" we enable this type of person to think they can get away with anything.

There are no heroes and this man should be jailed for life IMO.

Guest TPAFKATS
Whatever you think of the outcome itself, the sight of people punching the air in celebration outside the court was pretty distasteful. The guy is a killer, that's the bottom line.

It looked as though a few of those hipflasks that were getting passed around outside court had been refilled a few times.
The still photo of them 'hooraying' was similar to the images of some English fans during the German national anthem last week.

I can only imagine what it is like to be in the theatre of war, particularly sustained over a long period of time.
In this particular case, I have yet to hear or read a media report that explains how the new verdict of diminished responsibility was reached.

17 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. Arthur Wellesley

war is wrong 

Might be wrong but its all we have ever done since being upright- its in our DNA, especially the Scots

Guest TPAFKATS
Your hatred of the English shines right through yet again

Ok Captain, I'll bite - explain how the part of my post that you have quoted equates to you alleging I hate the English?

From personal experience of surveying the wreckage of a British Army helicopter downed in the Falklands, where at least one of the crew was still alive in the water, and was subsequently shot by argentine forces, and the rightful cry of Murder was heard across these lands.... you are either who you are, or no better than them!

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:44 PM, TPAFKATS said:

Ok Captain, I'll bite - explain how the part of my post that you have quoted equates to you alleging I hate the English?

In what way does it not?

You brought up a totally unconnected incident purely because of your hatred of the English.

Try explaining why you did that? Try explaining what your point was.

You are no different from Farage and UKIP. For you, its all about "them".

You are driven by your hatred of the English.

Edited by mcdowell76

Guest TPAFKATS

In what way does it not?
You brought up a totally unconnected incident purely because of your hatred of the English.
Try explaining why you did that? Try explaining what your point was.
You are no different from Farage and UKIP. For you, its all about "them".
You are driven by your hatred of the English.

You're not very good at this trolling lark, are you?

Someone's trying far too hard to get attention with a new alias

On 29/03/2017 at 9:58 PM, Lord Pityme said:

From personal experience of surveying the wreckage of a British Army helicopter downed in the Falklands, where at least one of the crew was still alive in the water, and was subsequently shot by argentine forces, and the rightful cry of Murder was heard across these lands.... you are either who you are, or no better than them!

There were reports of the British shooting prisoners in the Falklands and taking "souvenirs" from prisoners . In one day in 1972 , a detachment of the British Paratroop regiment shot 26 unarmed civilians , killing 14 of them in another part of the UK . .go a bit further back and you find that the British military invented the concentration camp , so it doesn't bode well to point the finger at others . .

15 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

There were reports of the British shooting prisoners in the Falklands and taking "souvenirs" from prisoners . In one day in 1972 , a detachment of the British Paratroop regiment shot 26 unarmed civilians , killing 14 of them in another part of the UK . .go a bit further back and you find that the British military invented the concentration camp , so it doesn't bode well to point the finger at others . .

I think my post has gone over your head?

i was pointing out what an act similar to that carried out by Marine A looks like from another perspective. That being what if it was one of ours??? The guy is not innocent, he shot a dying man to possibly endear himself to those around him. It actually makes him look like a coward, and I suspect, but dont know his colleagues saw this in him, hence the footage being "found" of his loathesome act.

remember he wasnt prosecuted by the dead taliban's family, a bent UK lawyer or amnesty international.... he was given up by his section! And trust me for that to happen he must have been the biggest shit going, as that act by his colleagues is almost unheard of.

The guy broke the Geneva convention code on war or did he. The only one's that know the circumstances surrounding that day are the troops there. Did he spot a grenade or a grenade pin while another searched the enemy or was he thinking I ain't killed anyone yet and does it, who knows his section reported him they would all have gave different statements during an investigation by higher up and by MP'S. Nobody knows and truth be told nobody will

Guest TPAFKATS
The guy broke the Geneva convention code on war or did he. The only one's that know the circumstances surrounding that day are the troops there. Did he spot a grenade or a grenade pin while another searched the enemy or was he thinking I ain't killed anyone yet and does it, who knows his section reported him they would all have gave different statements during an investigation by higher up and by MP'S. Nobody knows and truth be told nobody will

There was a recording.

7 hours ago, jkd said:

FFS.

11 hours ago, jkd said:

Its only a guess but I think if you are recorded on video & audio shooting dead an injured non-threatening enemy, then say "guys... i just broke the Geneva convention" and admit that in your court martial, fail,to mention any other perceived threat (grenade), and all the others in your section present give statements to the same effect, then we know exactly what transpired... just guessing though..!

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, jkd said:

I get what everyone is saying, I think I should have worded a bit off my statement in that we dont know what was going through his head only he knows. In a fire fight people react differently mentally. That was what i was meaning.

Given he asked his fellow soldiers to keep it quiet and admitted the act means he knew exactly what he was doing and knew it was unlawful. Does anyone know what's going through anybody's head when the are killing someone lying on the ground helpless?

25 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Given he asked his fellow soldiers to keep it quiet and admitted the act means he knew exactly what he was doing and knew it was unlawful. Does anyone know what's going through anybody's head when the are killing someone lying on the ground helpless?

Revenge , murder , some other evil purpose . .?

Someone once said there are 4 types of people who join the military , The guy whose family have been in the military for generations , the guy who wants to do his duty a patriot , the guy who wants employment and lastly the person who sees a way where he can legally kill his fellow man. .