St Mirren v Dumbarton Championship 8/4/17

shull

Looked a better side in the second half with Sutton on but not up to the standard we were hoping for.

Perhaps missed Morgan but more significantly Mallan and McGinn not at it today at all.

Dumbarton are incredibly effective at stopping team's playing and have guys like Thomson, Nade and Vaughan who will come up with a goal. Frustrating side to play against.

Still, off the bottom and with a game in hand!

For me it was a poor performance against a well-drilled side. A game we would have lost 3 months ago. We are off bottom with a game in hand. Stelios had 3 men on him everytime he had the ball and should slot back in to the full back slot on Tuesday. Hard to pick a motm for me as the team were pretty meh. Sutton won all his headers and possibly should have got the full second 45 mins. Mehhhh.

Poor today, but have to credit a very well organised and disciplined Dumbarton team. They were miles better than Ayr, and, on that showing, will be staying up.

We seemed jaded, and couldn't find a way to break them down. Too many players having off days. Mallan and McGinn didn't get going, and Stelios didn't look comfortable in the advanced position. Baird was very nervy, and McKenzie's distribution was poor this afternoon.

Hopefully just a blip, as our recent form has been very good. Finally, though, the other results went in our favour, so not as disappointing as it could have been.

Today this team completed the first stage of our survival in this league.

They got us off the bottom for the first time in over half a year.

An added bonus is that we have a game in hand.

Also, we have no more crap teams to play against. All are against better teams who will not sit in.

Except for Raith.

With a wee bit of luck we could have scored that penalty and been sitting 8th tonight but no way should that take the shine off a great day for us. Forget the result and the performance and focus on the next game. We have the chance to end Tuesday night one point behind 7th place. Onwards and uowards.

Lacked the guile to break down very well organised team. Missed Morgan a lot and stelios gamble didn't really pay off. Thought Todd in hindsight might have been better option on left. Off bottom though and l fully expect us to pick up some points against top four but whether it will be enough depends very much on Ayr

15 minutes ago, Drew said:

Poor today, but have to credit a very well organised and disciplined Dumbarton team. They were miles better than Ayr, and, on that showing, will be staying up.

We seemed jaded, and couldn't find a way to break them down. Too many players having off days. Mallan and McGinn didn't get going, and Stelios didn't look comfortable in the advanced position. Baird was very nervy, and McKenzie's distribution was poor this afternoon.

Hopefully just a blip, as our recent form has been very good. Finally, though, the other results went in our favour, so not as disappointing as it could have been.

McKenzie s defending was first class..every player distribution was poor..

Lacked the guile to break down very well organised team. Missed Morgan a lot and stelios gamble didn't really pay off. Thought Todd in hindsight might have been better option on left. Off bottom though and l fully expect us to pick up some points against top four but whether it will be enough depends very much on Ayr

I actually thought Stelios did ok. We just didn't seem to be on it today. Our big players were out of sorts and we didn't really have the spark required. Two big moments were the 2 v 1 that Smith fecked up and the missed penalty. Loy had a shocker today and needs to have a look at himself ahead of Tuesday.

Morton won't sit in like Dumbarton did. This will be a cracking, open game.

We just can't seem to get to grips with Dumbarton. The epitome of a bogey team. We were probably fortunate to get the draw but that ref was absolutely shocking. We need to hope that's the bad game out of the way and the real Saints march in against Morton. Season defining, though not absolutely crucial evening coming up.

2 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Well done whovever played the music before the penalty...didn't miss the penalty but cmon' tae feck! We drew against a stuffy hardworking side that are hard to break down. I think we'll beat Morton on Tuesday night. We're off the bottom and won't be going back there!

Amen

Guest TPAFKATS

As others have pointed out Dumbarton sit in and play on the break and set pieces. They stuck to this, even at one down and we started to rush play as we weren't breaking them down.

We were generally poor, although I would point out though that the abuse Baird takes is shocking. People quick to shout abuse for a misplaced pass then silent when he put in either of his two last man challenges.
Poor control BT Mackenzie met with nae luck etc in comparison.

The ref was utterly incompetent, including many decisions that should have went against us (Loy's elbow, a couple of minutes after his penalty miss, on the fud who dug up the penalty spot - not even a yellow)

10 minutes ago, strummer said:

McKenzie s defending was first class..every player distribution was poor..

I didn't think he was as a solid as previously, and poor distribution from a defender can be a bigger problem than with other players. I'm not singling him out for criticism, but we wasn't nearly as good as he has been recently.

1 minute ago, Julian Banjos said:

Morton, like Falkirk and Dundee Utd, are stumbling towards the play-offs. No wins in their past 4 games with defeats to Dunfermline and Dumbarton. We should be looking to beat them on Tuesday no doubt. I think the players will really fancy it.

We'll need McGinn and Mallan to step it up. When they play well, the entire team plays well. There ia absolutely no reason why we can't leave their midden with 3 points.

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

As others have pointed out Dumbarton sit in and play on the break and set pieces. They stuck to this, even at one down and we started to rush play as we weren't breaking them down.

We were generally poor, although I would point out though that the abuse Baird takes is shocking. People quick to shout abuse for a misplaced pass then silent when he put in either of his two last man challenges.
Poor control BT Mackenzie met with nae luck etc in comparison.

The ref was utterly incompetent, including many decisions that should have went against us (Loy's elbow, a couple of minutes after his penalty miss, on the fud who dug up the penalty spot - not even a yellow)

It wouldn't be fair to single anyone out today... I thought our passing was poor in general considering our recent form.

Think the early goal worked against us today. After last week it looked as if the players and some fans reckoned it was going to be another demolition job when Magennis scored.

Dumbarton seem to be a bogey team for us. Draw probably fair in the end - funny that, after so many wins, it's a scrappy point that takes us off the bottom.

Dumbarton play with two holding midfielders and three in front of those and one striker and rely on breaking. They are physical and streetwise. They got what they came for and that was a point. It was difficult today but no surprise as Dumbarton's recent results have been good. We really had two midfielders against their 5. Maybe we should have changed to a 4-5-1 but we needed the win so had to keep two strikers up top. Overall I thought we just about deserved the victory and if Loy had hit the penalty decently we would have got it. Read elsewhere that all 4 penalty misses this season have cost us valuable points. Hope Jack now has them practising in training. I hate these wee run up penalties. Take a long long run and hammer it down the middle.Disappointed but off the bottom for the first time since September which is something to celebrate.

PS: I would take Thompson of Dumbarton next season when we stay up. Niggly bastard but I thought he was impressive.

Edited by Sonny

Had Jack not started with Stelios in midfield then most of us would have been screaming abuse at him.

Hindsight is a great thing.

Stelios is a real danger running at players.

From midfield, he was getting the ball when stationary and couldn't attack as expected.

There was also too big a gap between him and Eckersley for most of the match.

Carlsberg don't do 1-1 draws at home, but if they did, they'd do them on a day when two other results go your way and you get off the bottom of the league.

We move on. We gained today, we didn't lose out, even if it was disappointing after last week.

3 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

It's clear we cannot produce the level of performance that we did against Hibs and Ayr United every game but we will have to grind out results the way Dumbarton have done with so-called inferior players.

Dumbarton set up very defensively in every game , especially against the more attacking teams in this league.

cant fault them at all . Thought the sons were great today . We played OK in spells , but they were more than worthy of their point. 

For me , they were the most organised team we've come up against. Well played .