St Mirren v Dumbarton Championship 8/4/17

shull

Dumbarton play with two holding midfielders and three in front of those and one striker and rely on breaking. They are physical and streetwise. They got what they came for and that was a point. It was difficult today but no surprise as Dumbarton's recent results have been good. We really had two midfielders against their 5. Maybe we should have changed to a 4-5-1 but we needed the win so had to keep two strikers up top. Overall I thought we just about deserved the victory and if Loy had hit the penalty decently we would have got it. Read elsewhere that all 4 penalty misses this season have cost us valuable points. Hope Jack now has them practising in training. I hate these wee run up penalties. Take a long long run and hammer it down the middle.Disappointed but off the bottom for the first time since September which is something to celebrate.

PS: I would take Thompson of Dumbarton next season when we stay up. Niggly bastard but I thought he was impressive.

Ps. He's already signed a pre contract with Morton

Really poor disjointed performance from us today we missed Morgan big time and  Stelio's Is no Morgan but credit to Jack for trying. We were 2nd to every ball and outfought by a well organised Dumbarton team that scrapped for their lives. We miss Davis at the back McKenzie n Baird have no passing ability or composure and just hammer everything into the sky. My concern is that you get away with that against the teams in the bottom half but against the teams in the top half we will get punished.  Another poor penalty 1 scored from 5 the difference between staying up or going down. Midfield ???? Mallan was lost without Morgan, McGinn had an off day and the referee spoiled the game with his continuos stoppages for petty fouls. On the positive we are off the bottom , Jack is confident that the upcoming games against the top teams will suit us better, but after today I don't  have his confidence and i am concerned about our ability to service the strikers minus Morgan

Edited by Bobbyreid

Thoughts on today's game:

- we we very very poor. We barely deserved a point -couldn't string two passes together

- we don't seem to have a settled penalty taker. Strange.

- The referee was absolutely shocking. An absolute embarrassment.

- Dumbarton came to ruin the game and get a point.

- We lack pace without Morgan

- McGinn looks shattered

- Mallan is not the player he thinks he is.

Guest TPAFKATS
Really poor disjointed performance from us today we missed Morgan big time and  Stelio's Is no Morgan but credit to Jack for trying. We were 2nd to every ball and outfought by a well organised Dumbarton team that scrapped for their lives. We miss Davis at the back McKenzie n Baird have no passing ability or composure and just hammer everything into the sky. My concern is that you get away with that against the teams in the bottom half but against the teams in the top half we will get punished.  Another poor penalty 1 scored from 5 the difference between staying up or going down. Midfield ???? Mallan was lost without Morgan, McGinn had an off day and the referee spoiled the game with his continuos stoppages for petty fouls. On the positive we are off the bottom , Jack is confident that the upcoming games against the top teams will suit us better, but after today I don't  have his confidence and i am concerned about our ability to service the strikers minus Morgan

I'm concerned by our starting striker's ability to be in a position to get service, i.e. in the box.

53 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Oh ffs... Here we go again.
Neither were McLean or McGinn apparantly.

I guess you will be happy when we get to admire him in another clubs colours!

At the risk of incurring your wrath Brian :P

He is a young lad who has played out his skin at times but watching the game on TV today he tried a few too many clipped passes. when the simple ball to feet was on. He will learn that in time but it was a bit frustrating to watch, however as I said he is still young and his decision making will improve. It's just a shame we are where we are as it puts the youngsters in the side under a lot of pressure.

One thing I did notice today was when Mallan, Loy or a few others lost possession they didn't stand with their hand on their hips, they tracked back and won the ball back.................that was very pleasing to see and a huge step forward from what the departed players did earlier in the season!

Oh ffs... Here we go again.
Neither were McLean or McGinn apparantly.

I guess you will be happy when we get to admire him in another clubs colours!

McLean carried a team in the SPL. McGinn bossed a national semi final against Celtic and won a cup final at 19 or whatever age he was.

Comparing those players to Mallan is laughable. He was not the only one who didn't turn up today, but let's remember what level we are at here.

7 hours ago, TopCat said:

In this season yes.

This is our fourth game against Dumbarton this season. We haven't beat them once.

When you consider the clear difference in quality of players between the teams, this is quite remarkable.

It's just not good enough

In fact fecking shocking

Dress it up anyway you want not acceptable

McLean carried a team in the SPL. McGinn bossed a national semi final against Celtic and won a cup final at 19 or whatever age he was.

Comparing those players to Mallan is laughable. He was not the only one who didn't turn up today, but let's remember what level we are at here.

McGinn senior has played at a higher level and was not much better today.

Your point is totally moot.

How do you know what Mallan would be doing in the Premiership!?

He is where he is.

At the risk of incurring your wrath Brian [emoji14]
He is a young lad who has played out his skin at times but watching the game on TV today he tried a few too many clipped passes. when the simple ball to feet was on. He will learn that in time but it was a bit frustrating to watch, however as I said he is still young and his decision making will improve. It's just a shame we are where we are as it puts the youngsters in the side under a lot of pressure.
One thing I did notice today was when Mallan, Loy or a few others lost possession they didn't stand with their hand on their hips, they tracked back and won the ball back.................that was very pleasing to see and a huge step forward from what the departed players did earlier in the season!

No wrath whatsoever.

As you rightly say... He is young. He will learn and improve... He tracked back and made an effort.

Stunned at the level of abuse aimed at young Jack Baird today. Made a couple of potentially costly errors but the bile that was slabbering out of some of our supporters' mouths was totally uncalled for.

All in all, another point on board and absolutely delighted to get off the bottom. Tuesday night will be our biggest test of the season mentally. I believe we have a stronger squad man for man than Morton now and if we play like we have been recently we'll be fine.

3 minutes ago, RossCSmfc said:

Stunned at the level of abuse aimed at young Jack Baird today. Made a couple of potentially costly errors but the bile that was slabbering out of some of our supporters' mouths was totally uncalled for.

All in all, another point on board and absolutely delighted to get off the bottom. Tuesday night will be our biggest test of the season mentally. I believe we have a stronger squad man for man than Morton now and if we play like we have been recently we'll be fine.

Stunned ? , really ? I'm not one one for dishing out abuse at games , but I thought he was awful yesterday , Big Gary's game has gone to pot too since losing Davis as his partner. I'm wondering if Ross might have a look at Rocco Quinn in a bounce game at centre back to see if he could slot in , big Baird could cost us everything that we have put right in the last few months , he simply won't do !

1 minute ago, billyg said:

Stunned ? , really ? I'm not one one for dishing out abuse at games , but I thought he was awful yesterday , Big Gary's game has gone to pot too since losing Davis as his partner. I'm wondering if Ross might have a look at Rocco Quinn in a bounce game at centre back to see if he could slot in , big Baird could cost us everything that we have put right in the last few months , he simply won't do !

Ben Gordon is fit and available.

That might just end up being the biggest point of the season.

Dumbarton are no mugs and Aitken has them playing as a well organised team that work hard and make it difficult to play against them.

If we'd had this squad since the start of the season we'd be a top four side. Of that I have no doubt, however, every current top four side has had shitty results along the way and, by the way, they've all lost points to Dumbarton.

It's the mark of a decent side that they pick up points when not at their best and that was us yesterday.

People have looked at the last 5 games and are worried about facing the top four away from home. I'm not entirely convince the top four have been playing particularly well recently and I'd take our form against theirs right now.

A better footballing team may well have taken advantage of our off day yesterday so let's take that as a bonus and move onto Morton on Tuesday lifted by the fact that we can finally look over our shoulder at someone.

Well, my Dad and I arrived about 2:40, seated by 2:45 in the main stand and the atmosphere was pretty upbeat.

Game kicked off, pretty reasonable stuff from two teams at the lower end of the league.

Decent move for the first goal, although their goalie looked a tad silly, then they scored and spoilt the expected rout.

The penalty, well, shit effort but we were still, IMO, the better side in the first half.

Second half was scrappy in the extreme, our two main men in midfield, Mallan & McGinn, were very poor and, as such, we lost any real threat, although they did sit deep and gave us opportunities we never looked like taking. I thought Todd looked decent when he came on, albeit very late.

Overall, uninspiring. The usual wallopers in the crowd shouting abuse at a few players spoil this "great atmosphere", confirming that home games are a chore compared to away games.

For a change other results went our way.

The Morton game will be interesting.

Oh, JR looked very dapper on the side line, do I get a gold star for that observation?

Last thing, SMISA should splash out on sunglasses for the main stand, stupid sunshine spoilt the game, summer fitba, my arse. :lol:

Forgot about him , yes , I really think JR needs to remove Baird from the side or it could cost us big time !

I agree that Baird wasn't great yesterday but that could be levelled at most of the team and certainly all of the back four, keeper included, IMO.

What was really worrying to me was that neither Irvine nor McKenzie seemed to take any time to talk to Baird during the game either to give encouragement or advice and I watched for it after his mistakes.

Thomson of Dumbarton has been a real handful any time I've seen him this season. He's not the best player but his physicality certainly unsettles our guys.

We're obviously missing big Harry but changing the partnership at this stage and dropping Gordon in there may not work.

4 minutes ago, DLBud said:

That might just end up being the biggest point of the season.

Dumbarton are no mugs and Aitken has them playing as a well organised team that work hard and make it difficult to play against them.

If we'd had this squad since the start of the season we'd be a top four side. Of that I have no doubt, however, every current top four side has had shitty results along the way and, by the way, they've all lost points to Dumbarton.

It's the mark of a decent side that they pick up points when not at their best and that was us yesterday.

People have looked at the last 5 games and are worried about facing the top four away from home. I'm not entirely convince the top four have been playing particularly well recently and I'd take our form against theirs right now.

A better footballing team may well have taken advantage of our off day yesterday so let's take that as a bonus and move onto Morton on Tuesday lifted by the fact that we can finally look over our shoulder at someone.

Let's hope that we get more room to play against the top four teams. Just a pity we failed to kick on after being 1-0 up yesterday.

12 minutes ago, billyg said:

Gary's game has gone to pot and this has no influence on Baird's game? Baird is a young player who gets little help or support from the experienced defenders around him.