St Mirren v Dumbarton Championship 8/4/17

shull

1 hour ago, renfrew said:

There were 4600 when we played Ayr and 3900 yesterday. 700 of a different so 300 less in the home stands. What your point about the size of the Morton support ?  My point is we had a lot less fans yesterday than last week.

Alot less??? 300 less isn't alot especially slap bang in middle of school holidays I think it's quite good going as is 3600 home fans for a team bottom of the league for 7 months.

My Morton comparison was you saying it was one of the biggest games of the season.

Well Morton are in their highest league position in over 30 years yesterday was one of their biggest games of the season yet could only muster just about 2200 home fans.

Outwith Morton only Celtic and Hearts had bigger crowds than St Mirren yesterday again pretty good going from a team that's been fighting relegation 3 seasons in a row.

Fantastic support unfortunately not fantastic supporters on here.

15 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Alot less??? 300 less isn't alot especially slap bang in middle of school holidays I think it's quite good going as is 3600 home fans for a team bottom of the league for 7 months.

My Morton comparison was you saying it was one of the biggest games of the season.

Well Morton are in their highest league position in over 30 years yesterday was one of their biggest games of the season yet could only muster just about 2200 home fans.

Outwith Morton only Celtic and Hearts had bigger crowds than St Mirren yesterday again pretty good going from a team that's been fighting relegation 3 seasons in a row.

Fantastic support unfortunately not fantastic supporters on here.

Partick (just) and Dunfermline also had bigger crowd yesterday than us :P  I'm not saying the crowd was poor, just surprise the home support was smaller than last week by 300. As for the Morton crowd, who cares ?

Seemingly Ayr got booed off at F/T yesterday. Contrast that with the magnificent support we have offered Saints despite being rock bottom since September.

I'm immensely proud to be Saints supporter. When the chips are down, we know how to get behind our club. I've seen it so often in the past, and while we do have our (small) quota of miserable boo boys, they are clearly the exception by a huge margin.

No-one should have any complaints about the turn out and level of support at games - home or away. We're doing our bit, and I reckon it will count for a great deal in the final analysis.

COYS & SMTID

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

Seemingly Ayr got booed off at F/T yesterday. Contrast that with the magnificent support we have offered Saints despite being rock bottom since September.

I'm immensely proud to be Saints supporter. When the chips are down, we know how to get behind our club. I've seen it so often in the past, and while we do have our (small) quota of miserable boo boys, they are clearly the exception by a huge margin.

No-one should have any complaints about the turn out and level of support at games - home or away. We're doing our bit, and I reckon it will count for a great deal in the final analysis.

COYS & SMTID

In fairness Drew. There have been times this season our team have been booed off the park. Even in defeat we back them if it looks like they've at least shown effort.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

COYS & SMTID

I've said it before - the worst boo boys I ever heard were Falkirk fans when I took in a game from the home stand seats against us. We were winning, Yogi Hughes threw on all three subs to try and change it. Then a Falkirk fan gave Hughes dug's abuse, bawling at him to get a sub on. Another Falkirk fan turned to the first fan - 'shut up ya' daft cnut, he's already got all three subs on!' - 'Shut up yer'self, who you calling a cnut anyway?' - 'You, ya complete c**t!'... cue stewards stepping in to stop Bairns fans brawling amongst themselves. 

Most entertaining. :D

20 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Partick (just) and Dunfermline also had bigger crowd yesterday than us :P  I'm not saying the crowd was poor, just surprise the home support was smaller than last week by 300. As for the Morton crowd, who cares ?

Easter holidays bud - lots of folk go away with kids these days so all crowds suffer. I think it's why the authorities are agin summer football.

15 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

In fairness Drew. There have been times this season our team have been booed off the park. Even in defeat we back them if it looks like they've at least shown effort.

With a handful of games to go, I think it is remarkably stupid, though.

I don't boo our own players and management team. Never have done. To do it when your club needs your support most is nuts.

22 minutes ago, renfrew said:

The way I interpreted your first post was you were having a dig about the size of the crowd apologies if I took it the wrong way.

I am more recently been a 10-15 game a season fan due to various circumstances but back in February decided if I could i would re-arrange alot of things to make as many games as possible and only missed the Hibs game since and I think since Ayr away crowds both home and away have been great in size and the backing they have given the team.

3 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

I'm not sure how they calculate the attendances but there's no way the ground was less than half full yesterday, 

both the main and west stands were about 90-95% full and when you take in the rest of the ground I would say

the crowd must have been closer too 5500..

Clearly a money laundering operation going on, masterminded from Skyview HQ. Bring back Clydeside Buses.

8 hours ago, billyg said:

Stunned ? , really ? I'm not one one for dishing out abuse at games , but I thought he was awful yesterday , Big Gary's game has gone to pot too since losing Davis as his partner. I'm wondering if Ross might have a look at Rocco Quinn in a bounce game at centre back to see if he could slot in , big Baird could cost us everything that we have put right in the last few months , he simply won't do !

Baird might not be the best defender we've had at the club, but I watched the highlights and he put in a few good saving tackles yesterday.  I think the boy gets a lot of unfair stick - a bit like Cheesy.

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, Seaside Nipper said:

We have been good for two single minute spells and that yielded a goal and a penalty. We need to move the ball quicker. It's pedestrian and written for a set piece header winner for them unless we sort it. We can only improve....emoji86.png

Pretty much what I said to my Dad yesterday at the game, too slow too predictable with no penetration making it easy for Dumbarton to defend.

On 08/04/2017 at 8:54 AM, thomsons dropped it said:

Agree,early goal would see us go on and win I think. That's my hope anyway. First home game for me this year.

Just getting ready to come down the A82 on my motorbike.....Black and White one of course.:)

Fine day up here,meet my Brother at the Green Welly and all we need after that for a right good day out is .......

You know the rest Saints....

COYS !!!!

Had a seven hour round trip yesterday,weather was great but a little cool on the bike.Left at 17.00 after the game and home at 20.15,not bad with those pesky cameras. The Match was a little disappointing result wise but we are off the bottom and let's be positive. The Great Unwashed on Tuesday, lets get something there and keep the momentum going. 

Yflab came over and introduced himself after the match as I was getting ready to leave, good of him to do so and nice to meet a fellow Saint from the Forum 

A good day overall for me,I don't see Saints as often as I would like although it looks as if Caley will be on the fixtures for us next year....... 

P.s. Most impressed at the level of applause for the team at full time, despite the result.

Well done to all.

Edited by thomsons dropped it
Oops

On 4/8/2017 at 5:14 PM, Bud the Baker said:

Alternatively JR could adapt his tactics to suit the players we have available. With Eckersly suspended we should play Stelios at LB Smith wide and Sutton & Loy upfront.

Despite the gap between us in the table I don't think Morton are anything special - I'd go at them on Tuesday night make it a good old fashioned blood & thunder derby!

We'll beat Morton. Huge Saints support through there, the team will want to make amends for an insipid display, Morton kinda coasting lately too. Duffy is a good manager though, so won't be easy.

17 hours ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Had a seven hour round trip yesterday,weather was great but a little cool on the bike.Left at 17.00 after the game and home at 20.15,not bad with those pesky cameras. The Match was a little disappointing result wise but we are off the bottom and let's be positive. The Great Unwashed on Tuesday, lets get something there and keep the momentum going. 

Yflab came over and introduced himself after the match as I was getting ready to leave, good of him to do so and nice to meet a fellow Saint from the Forum 

A good day overall for me,I don't see Saints as often as I would like although it looks as if Caley will be on the fixtures for us next year....... 

P.s. Most impressed at the level of applause for the team at full time, despite the result.

Well done to all.

7 hours on the bike. Respect. Proper biker. Proper supporter.

It was a flat performance on Saturday. McGinn and Mallan in the middle seemed to be crowded out at times, but even when not, were off the boil. Haven't seen Mallan misplace so many passes for a long time, even when under little pressure. I think a few players are looking as though they need a rest. Hopefully we can recharge the batteries and go all out at Cappielow. Sutton might be worth a start having not played much in the last couple of weeks, and to give us a physical threat up front, to go with the pace of Loy and Smith.

I'd go with:

O'Brien

Irvine  McKenzie Gordon Stelios

Magennis Mallan McGinn Smith

Loy Sutton

Real attacking threat from wide areas, pace and physicality up front. Need the two Stevies to be on it though. Been fantastic for the last couple of months, just need a few more performances and we'll get over the line. 

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

It was a flat performance on Saturday. McGinn and Mallan in the middle seemed to be crowded out at times, but even when not, were off the boil. Haven't seen Mallan misplace so many passes for a long time, even when under little pressure. I think a few players are looking as though they need a rest. Hopefully we can recharge the batteries and go all out at Cappielow. Sutton might be worth a start having not played much in the last couple of weeks, and to give us a physical threat up front, to go with the pace of Loy and Smith.

I'd go with:

O'Brien

Irvine  McKenzie Gordon Stelios

Magennis Mallan McGinn Smith

Loy Sutton

Real attacking threat from wide areas, pace and physicality up front. Need the two Stevies to be on it though. Been fantastic for the last couple of months, just need a few more performances and we'll get over the line. 

Looks good to me assuming Ben Gordon is match fit. Not convinced that Rory and John play well together but we don't have a lot of options. For me, Stelios, Magennis and Smith have the potential to make all the difference as they can be unplayable at times. Looking forward to this.

Looks good to me assuming Ben Gordon is match fit. Not convinced that Rory and John play well together but we don't have a lot of options. For me, Stelios, Magennis and Smith have the potential to make all the difference as they can be unplayable at times. Looking forward to this.

Agreed about the front two, but feel we need the physicality of Sutton in some games. Those three you mention are excellent coming forward. Smith works so hard, Magennis is a gem of a player and Stelios is a real find. Fingers crossed for a better performance tomorrow night.

4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Agreed about the front two, but feel we need the physicality of Sutton in some games. Those three you mention are excellent coming forward. Smith works so hard, Magennis is a gem of a player and Stelios is a real find. Fingers crossed for a better performance tomorrow night.

The only other option might be to bring back Craig Storie into the middle alongside Steve McGinn to protect the defence and let Stelios bomb forward and have Smith more central alongside either Rory or John and bring the other one on for impact later in the game.