St Mirren Contract thread

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

Danger is other teams who are already there come sniffing in January. Reilly and McGinn could do a job in top flight no doubt

Of course they could. So why would they commit to a club that may not be in the top flight?

Maybe a get-out clause would help but if I were a player I'd keep my options open until I knew what League I'd be in.

23 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Of course they could. So why would they commit to a club that may not be in the top flight?

Maybe a get-out clause would help but if I were a player I'd keep my options open until I knew what League I'd be in.

yeah exactly these things can be written into contracts.

Also they might want to  stay to safeguard against getting injured, they might be happy at the club and feel it matches their style, may want to repay the clubs loyalty to them. There's lots of reasons they would sign before knowing if we're getting promoted but there is lots of reasons why they would not. Hence why I posted it on a discussion forum... 

24 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

yeah exactly these things can be written into contracts.

Also they might want to  stay to safeguard against getting injured, they might be happy at the club and feel it matches their style, may want to repay the clubs loyalty to them. There's lots of reasons they would sign before knowing if we're getting promoted but there is lots of reasons why they would not. Hence why I posted it on a discussion forum... 

I am not having a go. Of course I would love to see our good players signed up long term but that doesn't happen any more. Contracts are short and players rightly are looking for the best deal and Premiership wages are higher. The bottom line is these guys have families and mortgages. I would like to think we could keep these players if we get promoted but until that is secured I do not think there will be much happening.

3 hours ago, Sonny said:

I am not having a go. Of course I would love to see our good players signed up long term but that doesn't happen any more. Contracts are short and players rightly are looking for the best deal and Premiership wages are higher. The bottom line is these guys have families and mortgages. I would like to think we could keep these players if we get promoted but until that is secured I do not think there will be much happening.

Rules should be changed to protect smaller clubs. The no compensation for players over 22 rule is crazy. Gavin Reilly example is a perfect one. We take him in from a rough time in SP and get his confidence back and banging in the goals. Then can sign pre-contract for another club in January and we don't get a penny. Penalises small clubs as per. 

14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Teams in the Premiership will be all over a few of our star players come January especially if we enter the new year comfortably on top. Thats just life, up to the board to make them offers that will convince them to go up with us.

Tricky one though, don't want to break the bank then if there's a dip in form or serious injury we coud be snookered for a replacement. 

Last nights game was a great to watch, with the exception of a short lull just after their goal I don't think we were particularly challenged. team that played were probably really close to our strongest possible 11. What do we think the chances are of signing down some of the out of contract players for next season? I know Morgan has been discussed to death and very likely he'll be away but what about the others? For me McGinn and Reilly are the priority to get signed up longer term before January when they'd be free to talk to other clubs. 
Reilly
McGinn
Baird 
Davis (Taking option) 

Baird! Takes a big man to admit they were wrong....good on you Bazil.

Next TC will be on to say he hopes we keep Jack Ross.

Unless the club is facing severe and unforeseen financial pressure, I cannot believe that any core player will be allowed to leave before the summer, especially if we are still around the top of the league.

In the summer, if we are promoted, we may need to replace many of our team and perhaps our manager if our form continues like this but I would happily accept that right now for a guarantee that we'll be in the Premiership.

1 hour ago, Hambud said:

Baird! Takes a big man to admit they were wrong....good on you Bazil.

Next TC will be on to say he hopes we keep Jack Ross.

I wasn't wrong, Baird had some very poor games last season as he has on occasion this season. has improved but far from the finished article. My personal opinion is hang off on a new deal for him until later in the season then make an assessment. 

When a player improves his game it doesn't mean he no longer had his bad games the previous seasons:huh:

I wasn't wrong, Baird had some very poor games last season as he has on occasion this season. has improved but far from the finished article. My personal opinion is hang off on a new deal for him until later in the season then make an assessment. 
When a player improves his game it doesn't mean he no longer had his bad games the previous seasons. :huh:

What very poor games has he had this season? Morton away. What others?

I feel there is a real sense of togetherness in the squad since Jack Ross arrived. High morale can go a long way to making players wanting to stay. Eckersley for me was a prime example. One of the first players to re-sign in the summer and looks delighted to be here. 

Hopefully if not already, the wheels are in motion to tie our players up on longer deals. As every other season in the premiership, our fate of what league we will be playing in the following season has mostly always been the potential to drop down a league. We could be in a stronger position to negotiate earlier if we guarantee top 4.

16 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Rules should be changed to protect smaller clubs. The no compensation for players over 22 rule is crazy. Gavin Reilly example is a perfect one. We take him in from a rough time in SP and get his confidence back and banging in the goals. Then can sign pre-contract for another club in January and we don't get a penny. Penalises small clubs as per. 

Why would we be due any money for Gavin if he left in January? He’s 24 years old and a fully developed professional with nearly 200 first team appearances.

He’s entitled to talk to anyone in January about a move and we can’t grumble about that. If we had the utmost confidence in his ability then we would’ve offered him a longer deal to avoid such an issue.

We’ve done no more to develop him than his previous clubs.

12 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

What very poor games has he had this season? Morton away. What others?

Partick, Raith and I believe the ICT game didn't cover him in glory but like someone else said he is not the only one and I do think he's had a decent season so far. Night and day from last season.  

I'm not posting this to talk about Jack Baird, it's a curious notion that some St Mirren fans think others would want to see a player fail. I'm delighted he seems to have worked on his game and has improved. Not sure how that can possibly make a person wrong for being critical of him last season. :lol:  Still don't think he's the finished article or would have played as much if Davis and Mckenzie had stayed fit so would hang off on a new contract for him just now. Gives him a wee incentive to keep doing better and I think Davis will help that. 

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

Why would we be due any money for Gavin if he left in January? He’s 24 years old and a fully developed professional with nearly 200 first team appearances.

He’s entitled to talk to anyone in January about a move and we can’t grumble about that. If we had the utmost confidence in his ability then we would’ve offered him a longer deal to avoid such an issue.

We’ve done no more to develop him than his previous clubs.

We wouldn't be, my point is the rules aren't fair on clubs signing older players. If he was 20 we would of got comp for him. Why not at 24? Are players not able to improve passed the age of 22? It's complete nonsense and disadvantages teams. 

Partick, Raith and I believe the ICT game didn't cover him in glory but like someone else said he is not the only one and I do think he's had a decent season so far. Night and day from last season.  
I'm not posting this to talk about Jack Baird, it's a curious notion that some St Mirren fans think others would want to see a player fail. I'm delighted he seems to have worked on his game and has improved. Not sure how that can possibly make a person wrong for being critical of him last season. [emoji38]  Still don't think he's the finished article or would have played as much if Davis and Mckenzie had stayed fit so would hang off on a new contract for him just now. Gives him a wee incentive to keep doing better and I think Davis will help that. 

But you are NOT just slating him for LAST season.

You say he has had numerous poor games, albeit you have now diluted that to him not covering himself in glory!

Thank heavens for warning beepers when reversing!

Jack has played consistently well in a regularly changing defence.

He is keeping McCart out of the team, Buchanan too.

Davis and MacKenzie would be most people's first choice defence, mine included.

That said, if Gary's injury struggles continue then Davis and Baird show tremendous potential as a partnershipband compliment one another well. Harry talks players through the game and is an excellent pro. I just hope we can keep him.

I suppose the lesson is that at our level, we should trust the manager to spot potential in players and help them improve their game.

Mind you... It is a helluva lot easier just to continually criticise!

5 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

But you are NOT just slating him for LAST season.

You say he has had numerous poor games, albeit you have now diluted that to him not covering himself in glory!

Thank heavens for warning beepers when reversing!

Jack has played consistently well in a regularly changing defence.

He is keeping McCart out of the team, Buchanan too.

Davis and MacKenzie would be most people's first choice defence, mine included.

That said, if Gary's injury struggles continue then Davis and Baird show tremendous potential as a partnershipband compliment one another well. Harry talks players through the game and is an excellent pro. I just hope we can keep him.

I suppose the lesson is that at our level, we should trust the manager to spot potential in players and help them improve their game.

Mind you... It is a helluva lot easier just to continually criticise!

Yet bazil is continually haranguing people for daring to criticise any other parts of the club.

Funny that, eh?

30 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

We wouldn't be, my point is the rules aren't fair on clubs signing older players. If he was 20 we would of got comp for him. Why not at 24? Are players not able to improve passed the age of 22? It's complete nonsense and disadvantages teams. 

24 isn't young for a footballer.  What age do you reckon the compensation agreement should stop at?  I'd understand your argument if we had developed Gavin over a longer period of time however, by the time he is free to talk to other clubs, he wouldn’t have even completed a full season with us. I don’t know how we could possibly claim any compensation over him.

Arguably, QOTS are the team that developed Gavin into the goal scorer (and received a nom.fee from Hearts) he is and due to lack of opportunity/confidence it never quite worked at Hearts or Dunfermline. No-one else should be due anything in regard to compensation. 

Edited by Spam_Valley