The 3 Monthly Spend

Kombibuddie

Could @smisatrust consider providing additional funding to @StMirrenRadio and @StMirrenTV?

11:07 AM - 19 Jul 2017

1 reply0 retweets3 likes

Retweet

Direct message

ian c cummingTweet text

1. New conversation
    •  

All ideas and suggestions are welcome. If we can get details on how funds would be spent and would benefit we can definitely look at this.

1 reply1 retweet1 like

Retweet

Direct message

Complete no- brainer option for the July 2017 £2 spend vote.... vote to save the spend on both sides of the vote.

Reasons - the spend choices for the club are just paying/part paying bills the club has the funds to cover, I assume a budget was created and being worked to...? So no need for Smisa members money to go there.

on the 'Community' side, well for starters I don't class giving the academy yet another £2500 for balls as a community option. The academy receives funding, and no doubt can get a deal on equipment through Club/SFA/SPFL kit sponsors. Add to that the youngsters playing at the younger levels arent all kids off the schemes, as I have seen they get dropped off, and picked up in nice big cars. Thats not a reason to hold anything against them or there parents (we all strive to provide the best we can for our families) it is highlighting the fact that they may not be the most deserving case.

ask the Wheelchair basket ball team, the Monday Night Marvels or any Womens football club trying to get off the ground what £2500k would mean to them?

we should have a charity/community project process agreed whereby Smisa adopts one or more local charities/projects for a year, and instead of taking the lazy option and writing a cheque, encourage all of us to get involved with the charities/projects, to lend our time, our support, our skills and experience. The FC get it right by organising very succesful collections for the local foodbank, it makes everyone involved/donating think not just about the collection, but about the problems that create the need for a food bank in the first place, then perhaps some of them will want to become active in seeking to address the causes, and lobbying their elected representatives to make a change.

the £2500k option for the Panda Club really highlights all that is wrong in how projects are chosen for this spend option.

as I found out whilst working with the committee, most of the kids attending the Panda Club are actually season ticket holders, then they pay a fee on Matchday to access the panda club, them Smisa sponsor it to the tune of £2500k.... the club are picking up three funding sources for most of the kids attending the Panda Club..! Its just bonkers. Ask Stevie on the community team his thoughts? He sees its wrong and wants it to be organised differently.

my main reason for opting to save the funds is this, whilst working for the best part of a year to secure a loan, and grant for Smisa to enable the purchase of the majority shareholding I was challenged by more than one potential funder to show 'ok so you have got 1300 people subscribing £12 a month... how are you investing that to benefit the community? What community businesses do you propose to set up that we can lend/give you a grant for, and how much profit will they generate to feedback into the trust, and show real outcomes in the community..?

neither Smisa or the club were interested in using the £2 spend, or Smisa funds to grow the members investment. That is a shockingly blinkered/shortsighted view, bordering on negligence of duty.

someone on the Sports Scientist thread pointed out if we banked the remaining £2 pot for the next nine years till it was time to complete the purchase of the majority shareholding in the club Smisa would have a Rainy Day fund of £250k to set them up in taking over the reins of club management.

just think how much more could be achieved by careful investment in small businesses like a Smisa Cafe, a Smisa Pub, a Smisa Snack Van etc.... how does having £1 million or more in the bank sound in nine years time, whilst being able to make a real difference to projects in the community along the way..?

lets vote for a change to more progressive, forward looking options that will not only benefit the community by creating jobs, supporting projects and creating supply opportunities for other local small businesses, but will also swell the Smisa coffers by making our money work for the benefit of our community and our club!

29 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

the £2500k option for the Panda Club really highlights all that is wrong in how projects are chosen for this spend option.

as I found out whilst working with the committee, most of the kids attending the Panda Club are actually season ticket holders, then they pay a fee on Matchday to access the panda club, them Smisa sponsor it to the tune of £2500k.... the club are picking up three funding sources for most of the kids attending the Panda Club..! Its just bonkers. Ask Stevie on the community team his thoughts? He sees its wrong and wants it to be organised differently.

Just like to point out that Season Ticket holding kids don't pay to attend The Panda Club. 

I voted save for option 1 and gym equipment for option 2. Would have liked the chance to vote for a couple of options for number 2 as the values vary and we could have spent in 2 areas. 

1 minute ago, davidg said:

Just like to point out that Season Ticket holding kids don't pay to attend The Panda Club. 

I voted save for option 1 and gym equipment for option 2. Would have liked the chance to vote for a couple of options for number 2 as the values vary and we could have spent in 2 areas. 

Not disagreeing with you, but thats not stated on the club website (see below) and its my understanding that everyone attending was paying £3 last season to attend. Perhaps you have personal knowledge/experience of booking a youngster in?

SMISA PANDA CLUB

The SMiSA Panda Club is open to St Mirren fans, both male and female, aged 5-12 years old and membership is FREE!!

A day at the SMiSA Panda Club is as follows:

• SFA/St Mirren FC Qualified Coach for 1 hours coaching (Cost £3).
  • Lots of footballing fun within the Airdome.
  • 1 match day ticket. Children will be accompanied and supervised by Community Coaches to the match.
  • SMiSA Panda Club members will be seated in the exclusive ‘Panda Area’ in the West College Scotland Family (South) Stand.
  • Football sessions will take place on the astroturf pitches inside the Airdome, located at the North Stand End of the Paisley 2021 Stadium.

Adults wishing to attend the game can purchase tickets from the St Mirren Ticket Office.

Parents are to collect their child at the Community Office, located at the North Stand end of the stadium, at the end of the match.

14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Not disagreeing with you, but thats not stated on the club website (see below) and its my understanding that everyone attending was paying £3 last season to attend. Perhaps you have personal knowledge/experience of booking a youngster in?

SMISA PANDA CLUB

The SMiSA Panda Club is open to St Mirren fans, both male and female, aged 5-12 years old and membership is FREE!!

A day at the SMiSA Panda Club is as follows:

• SFA/St Mirren FC Qualified Coach for 1 hours coaching (Cost £3).
  • Lots of footballing fun within the Airdome.
  • 1 match day ticket. Children will be accompanied and supervised by Community Coaches to the match.
  • SMiSA Panda Club members will be seated in the exclusive ‘Panda Area’ in the West College Scotland Family (South) Stand.
  • Football sessions will take place on the astroturf pitches inside the Airdome, located at the North Stand End of the Paisley 2021 Stadium.

Adults wishing to attend the game can purchase tickets from the St Mirren Ticket Office.

Parents are to collect their child at the Community Office, located at the North Stand end of the stadium, at the end of the match.

Yes, my wee fella attends with a kid from next door to us. It's been free of charge every week for my kid as he is a season ticket holder but the lad next door needs to pay as he's not. 

Been this way for years. 

Edited by davidg

21 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Oh dear!

You'd think that someone so embittered towards the club would get his facts right before launching in to yet another borefest of a tirade and making an arse of himself yet again.:D

On the contrary (which must really tick you off) i am concerned about getting the most from any funding smisa allocate within our community. And it was the community coaching team at the club that highlighted to me their concerns that the funding of the Panda Club wasnt being done as effectively as it could be.

you see i look for improvement, consensus and the way forward.... what are you looking for?

On the contrary (which must really tick you off) i am concerned about getting the most from any funding smisa allocate within our community. And it was the community coaching team at the club that highlighted to me their concerns that the funding of the Panda Club wasnt being done as effectively as it could be.
you see i look for improvement, consensus and the way forward.... what are you looking for?

Some good points on this thread and the saving funds option would be absolutely fine if that's how the vote goes. For me though (as I've said in other threads) it's all about St Mirren. That's the team I support and that's the team I want to give the best possible chance now and in the future. It's all fantastic planning for the future when we own the club but in the here and now if they think a sports scientist would benefit them and gym equipment that's where my X is going this quarter.

Not saying about anyone in particular but I hope the 'it's us and them' approach disappears pronto. I'm a lot more concerned about the benefit to St Mirren football club than saying these are things they should be funding themselves. If we can save their budget in anyway, brilliant [emoji106]

We did meet with Stevie, we did have the debate around the Panda Club and Gordon decided the theory behind it was to facilitate getting as many young fans in as possible. So, it stayed as is after arriving at a consensus and agreeing how it could work going forward.

1 minute ago, HSS said:

I've got a predicament.I suggested the Johnstone Burgh option but I really like the St Mirren Basketball option.

Can I vote against myself?:huh:

That was my point. 

Some of the choices were only £500 some were thousands. 

I would have liked to select 2 that would have still been less total spend than some others. 

Some great choices though. 

16 minutes ago, davidg said:

That was my point. 

Some of the choices were only £500 some were thousands. 

I would have liked to select 2 that would have still been less total spend than some others. 

Some great choices though. 

There is never going to be a system that satisfies all... but like you, I would happily have voted tor the two community involvement options at a total of £1,000... less than some of the others.

Whatever the criticisms, the guys at the helm are listening, and adapting things to show they are listening to the membership. Fair play to them for that, and especially to Kenny for being so actively engaged on here.

my preferred option would be

• suspend the monthly vote & allow the £2's to accumulate into a sizeable fund (would be in excess of £250000, to be used when SMISA is the majority shareholder.

A quarter of a million quid as cash in hand to fund whatever we see fit. Instead of frittering away £8000 every 3 months. Someone else said somewhere "a no brainer" to me.

What could any club in Scotland do with a quarter of a million quid of it's own money. hmmmmmmmmmm

57 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

We did meet with Stevie, we did have the debate around the Panda Club and Gordon decided the theory behind it was to facilitate getting as many young fans in as possible. So, it stayed as is after arriving at a consensus and agreeing how it could work going forward.

Kenny I am sure Gordon was all for getting another £2.5k in the till. The point is even the guys running the Panda club know the funds arent being used effectively, but Smisa members are being asked to kerp throwing money at something which isnt fit for purpose.

why cant Smisa say 'comeback with a proposal that is fit for purpose" instead of rolling over and putting an ineffective spending option to the members?

my preferred option would be
  • suspend the monthly vote & allow the £2's to accumulate into a sizeable fund (would be in excess of £250000, to be used when SMISA is the majority shareholder.
A quarter of a million quid as cash in hand to fund whatever we see fit. Instead of frittering away £8000 every 3 months. Someone else said somewhere "a no brainer" to me.
What could any club in Scotland do with a quarter of a million quid of it's own money. hmmmmmmmmmm

Graeme,

If we suspend the vote then we aren't offering what members were sold, can't support the club with requests for assistance and would breach community benefit society regulations that state we shouldn't ignore the wider community. The £2 pot is the only money SMISA has that is set aside for spending by the society as per the wishes of its members. Without that there's no funding available to do anything. Perhaps we could look at setting aside a portion of spend each quarter, but again that needs a vote and it is a procedural change. I'd also highlight that without the £2 pot there may be very few votes.

From a personal viewpoint, I really don't see many big ticket items outside the obvious such as safe standing or filling a corner. For me the club should take a lead on items like that. There is no doubt we need to develop a fund for the future, but it needs to be practical. We need to understand cashflow, not to mention the effect firing a Manager or releasing a player could have (among other things).

25 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

Graeme,

If we suspend the vote then we aren't offering what members were sold, can't support the club with requests for assistance and would breach community benefit society regulations that state we shouldn't ignore the wider community. The £2 pot is the only money SMISA has that is set aside for spending by the society as per the wishes of its members. Without that there's no funding available to do anything. Perhaps we could look at setting aside a portion of spend each quarter, but again that needs a vote and it is a procedural change. I'd also highlight that without the £2 pot there may be very few votes.

From a personal viewpoint, I really don't see many big ticket items outside the obvious such as safe standing or filling a corner. For me the club should take a lead on items like that. There is no doubt we need to develop a fund for the future, but it needs to be practical. We need to understand cashflow, not to mention the effect firing a Manager or releasing a player could have (among other things).

Suspending the vote would most certainly not! breach community benefit society rules. But lending £15k to the club without consulting the membership most certainly did. 

If the membership chose to suspend the vote then that is their right.

Suspending the vote would most certainly not! breach community benefit society rules. But lending £15k to the club without consulting the membership most certainly did. 
If the membership chose to suspend the vote then that is their right.

Okay then, so how do we do any work for the wider community without having money to do anything with? That was one of your hot topics previously. I didn't say that suspending the vote itself would breach rules, I did though highlight an associated effect...a ripple effect if you will.

Lending 15K didn't, just move along from that one Tony.

It is indeed their right, hence me offering my personal opinion and a few issues around doing it. The academy want balls, TVs above serving areas, nets behind goals, training equipment, gym equipment, youth kits, kids in to football, funding coaches and indeed absolutely anything that has ever been mentioned that is under 8K couldn't be put forward for a vote or funded. So instead of having a well managed process we'd move to ad hoc funding that would give the impression of going cap in hand.

To add, it may have appeared that I was implying that suspending the vote could see us breach regulations. I was trying to highlight that could be an effect of it as we have no other obvious way to fund work that includes the wider community. Fair enough, we could possibly do that for free.

7 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

To add, it may have appeared that I was implying that suspending the vote could see us breach regulations. I was trying to highlight that could be an effect of it as we have no other obvious way to fund work that includes the wider community. Fair enough, we could possibly do that for free.

Working for the community benefit is not all,about writing cheques!

smisa could invest in a Smisa community cafe, creating jobs and profit to reinvest in smisa and the community. Any fool can write cheques and give other peoples money away, what about making smisa members subscriptions actually work for the community, members, support and club..? Its embarrassing that the club wont entertain any of these ideas, but are never short of ideas to get a cheque signed.

Working for the community benefit is not all,about writing cheques!
smisa could invest in a Smisa community cafe, creating jobs and profit to reinvest in smisa and the community. Any fool can write cheques and give other peoples money away, what about making smisa members subscriptions actually work for the community, members, support and club..? Its embarrassing that the club wont entertain any of these ideas, but are never short of ideas to get a cheque signed.

You mean other than the options in this months vote and in the votes so far? The club did entertain plans for a cafe...

I'm leaving it here for tonight. Strangely enough, watching GLOW is a lot more appealing.