The 3 Monthly Spend

Kombibuddie

SMISA August options and update  

August spend - £3,000 (roughly) available.  A no will role over to future options not to pay BTB early. 

Project one – Community programmes (£1,500)

The SMISA committee recently met St Mirren’s assistant head of youth Ross Paterson, who is responsible for the club’s community programmes, who presented a few ideas which SMISA funding could make happen.

These would strengthen the links between the club and community by bringing into St Mirren adults and children from Renfrewshire who could benefit from extra support. We have chosen two, which would work as follows:

We’re on our way - lifestyle programme for adults (16s+), male and female, focusing on health and wellbeing. Weekly one-hour sessions covering diet, nutrition and physical activity, with the focus on getting fitter, losing weight, living better, achieving goals and having fun.

Super Saints - Fun and interactive football sessions for young people with additional support needs aged six-12 years old. Weekly one-hour sessions at the St Mirren Airdome, with the focus on fun football themes, games and activities, with participation from parents/guardians/support workers.

A budget of £1,500 would allow the club to run both of the above for 20 families for 20 weeks. The money would be spent on facility hire, staff, equipment and marketing.

Project two – pre-match family entertainment (£1,500)

You will remember last season SMISA supported a programme of pre-match entertainment in and around the family stand before home games. This was a partnership effort between different fan groups, co-ordinated by the club’s two supporter liaison officers – John White and John Allison – and Colin Bright (aka Paisley Panda), funded by us and the SMFC Fans Council.

The aims were to get families to the ground early, improve the matchday experience, and bring new fans into the club. We saw it as an investment in St Mirren’s future – if it attracts even one new young fan who becomes an adult season ticket holder, that’s worth a lot of money to the club.

The two Johns sought feedback on last season’s trial via social media and comments received included:

“Convinced my 4 year old to come with me. She enjoyed face painting and balloon guy.  If anything it got another adult on a seat as I wouldn’t have gone if she said no. Brings out great family atmosphere in stand” @Brydo86

“My nephew definitely enjoyed it and absolutely added to the match day experience.  Presents the club exactly as it should be- a proud family club” @GarryW1lliamson

“As one of the buskers, I loved the chance to play some music at the ground for my team.  Think it makes a great atmosphere having some party events happening.” @Cwhyte25

My two boys have a season ticket with their Dad & they loved the pre match entertainment, they liked the face painting, meeting Panda, the balloons etc… Elizabeth Irvine

“Thought it resulted in a lovely family atmosphere in and around the ground” @John37064395

The scheme is going to run again this year and the Fans Council plan to put £1,500 towards it. We would like SMISA members to contribute the same – with a budget of £3,000 and a cost of £300 per game, the scheme could run at 10 home games this coming season.

The money would be used for – though isn’t necessarily restricted to – hiring entertainers and other attractions, such as live musicians, face painters, balloon artists, giant inflatables etc.

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I didn't vote because I am petulant and childish.

Since SMiSA sheep members agreed in large numbers to have 'ring-fenced' money 'un-ring-fenced' I couldn't give a shit any more what they do with my £2 contribution.

You got a can opener I can borrow Wilbur.                                                                                                Would like to see some money saved up over some years so the roofs can be extended with glass plastic. In the winter you can get wet even sitting near the back of the stands. This would add more comfort to the fan experience. The roofs are far too short. 

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I didn't vote because I am petulant and childish.

Since SMiSA sheep members agreed in large numbers to have 'ring-fenced' money 'un-ring-fenced' I couldn't give a shit any more what they do with my £2 contribution.

Why not change your direct debit to £10 or £23 depending on your contributions?

they aint gonna say "sorry Wilbur, we cant take your £10/£23"... then just ignore the vote if they still send it to you.

I see that Smisa are sponsoring big Nico's shirt for the season.... where was the vote for that?

should we drop  the facade now, and just change our direct debits to pay directky into the club's account? They are just throwing the money supposedly ringfenced at the club for anything Gordon wants! Its now officially a farce.

22 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I see that Smisa are sponsoring big Nico's shirt for the season.... where was the vote for that?

should we drop  the facade now, and just change our direct debits to pay directky into the club's account? They are just throwing the money supposedly ringfenced at the club for anything Gordon wants! Its now officially a farce.

You'll know the answer better than me LPM, due to your previous involvement, but is/was there a financial allowance made for profile/advertising/recruitment spend??

26 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

You'll know the answer better than me LPM, due to your previous involvement, but is/was there a financial allowance made for profile/advertising/recruitment spend??

There is a policy if you like of the committee being able to sanction spending up to £500 without the need to refer to the membership for approval. That is envisaged to be used along the lines you suggest of admin costs i.e. Accounts software package, leaflet printing, stationery etc, etc,...

dont know how much it costs to sponsor a shirt? But ffs its just another below the line way of throwing money at the club. On its own you could say its no biggie, but with the growing number of other payments to the club like buying tables at all their related functions it looks like smisa are doing the commercial managers job for him, and are his 'go to' piggy bank/easy squeeze for cash.

will the membership get het up about it? No... they'll just go with the flow. It does make the claim in Smisa of "Independent " look very embarrassing now, and its a growing, unchecked direction that almost always ends in tears.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

There is a policy if you like of the committee being able to sanction spending up to £500 without the need to refer to the membership for approval. That is envisaged to be used along the lines you suggest of admin costs i.e. Accounts software package, leaflet printing, stationery etc, etc,...

dont know how much it costs to sponsor a shirt? But ffs its just another below the line way of throwing money at the club. On its own you could say its no biggie, but with the growing number of other payments to the club like buying tables at all their related functions it looks like smisa are doing the commercial managers job for him, and are his 'go to' piggy bank/easy squeeze for cash.

will the membership get het up about it? No... they'll just go with the flow. It does make the claim in Smisa of "Independent " look very embarrassing now, and its a growing, unchecked direction that almost always ends in tears.

I do agree with some of what you say but I think, in this instance, you are way wide of the mark.

Off the top of my head player sponsorship is £420.00 (inc Vat) as I think that's what we paid through my business. I think it's only right that as an "independent" business with a vested interest in the club that they support the club in instances like this, I also can't believe that GLS (again in this instance) has picked up the phone asking SMiSA to shell out for this players shirt.

As I said I do agree with some of what you say with regard to how easily the committee seem to twist in relation to meeting GLS's/The Clubs requirements but that's more from a "constitutional" perspective. 

55 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:
There is a policy if you like of the committee being able to sanction spending up to £500 without the need to refer to the membership for approval. That is envisaged to be used along the lines you suggest of admin costs i.e. Accounts software package, leaflet printing, stationery etc, etc,... dont know how much it costs to sponsor a shirt? But ffs its just another below the line way of throwing money at the club. On its own you could say its no biggie, but with the growing number of other payments to the club like buying tables at all their related functions it looks like smisa are doing the commercial managers job for him, and are his 'go to' piggy bank/easy squeeze for cash.

£350 to sponsor a players home shirt & £300 to sponsor the away shirt. (according to official site)

No doubt, in the depths of the small print, it will be etched, a clause allowing SMISA to spend funds without referring to the membership. I wouldn't be too bothered about it, no doubt either, if it went to the members, it would be a yes vote anyway.

They've just cut out the middle 1200 & something in the middle.

More importantly

£113k for J McGinn in 2015

£278k for K Mcallister 2017

£306k for S Mallan 2017

£306k for L Morgan in 2018

Undisclosed ££££££k from J McGinn sell on clause.

All speculation of whatever the money St Mirren will receive from the sell on but if it isn't a million quid, it aint a kick on the arse away from that.

Added to the £1003000 (of course some will have been spent already) but that is around 2 million quid if speculation is close ish, on transfer fees in since John McGinn toddled off to Hibs. The jist for me is,

That ring fenced money doesn't need to be looked at or thought of again until the day arrives to burst open the bank to pay GLS his money and buy that majority shareholding.

When that happens and St Mirren is genuinely owned by its supporters, I expect GLS to stand for election as Chairman & he'd have my vote.

Edited by Graeme Aitken

45 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I do agree with some of what you say but I think, in this instance, you are way wide of the mark.

Off the top of my head player sponsorship is £420.00 (inc Vat) as I think that's what we paid through my business. I think it's only right that as an "independent" business with a vested interest in the club that they support the club in instances like this, I also can't believe that GLS (again in this instance) has picked up the phone asking SMiSA to shell out for this players shirt.

As I said I do agree with some of what you say with regard to how easily the committee seem to twist in relation to meeting GLS's/The Clubs requirements but that's more from a "constitutional" perspective. 

Its the continuing direction the committee seem to be drifting along thats the worry! They wont engage in open forum, most members are happy believing their subs will help the club in some way, so the committee are unchallenged in their thinking.

Thus they continue to drift on dangerous tides  believing if they can still see the shore, they're ok!

1 hour ago, WeeBud said:

I think it's only right that as an "independent" business with a vested interest in the club that they support the club in instances like this, I also can't believe that GLS (again in this instance) has picked up the phone asking SMiSA to shell out for this players shirt.

I agree to a certain point about the vested interest but ffs. St Mirren employ a commercial manager. No effort has been made to find a sponsor for the fellas home shirt, thus bringing new money into The Club

who are Black & White Sportswear? Never heard of them but since they are sponsoring the away kit and I am now aware of them, would like to have a look at their stuff. Google search only brings up a company in Tokyo

Edited by Graeme Aitken

Just now, Graeme Aitken said:

I agree to a certain point about the vested interest but ffs. St Mirren employ a commercial manager. No effort has been made to find a sponsor for the fellas home shirt.

who are Black & White Sportswear? Never heard of them but since they are sponsoring the away kit and I am now aware of them, would like to have a look at their stuff. Google search only brings up a company in Tokyo

I think you should re-consider the bit in bold, it's hardly as if he's been waiting weeks for someone to pick up the sponsorship for his jersey!!

The guy signed yesterday afternoon and within an hour the shirt sponsorship had been announced.....in our business we sponsor a player but don't actually ask for a particular player, once we've agreed to sponsor it's generally the next guy that signs that we get, I accept this would be different for individuals choosing their favourites but I'm pretty sure that SMiSA will do the same as us.

19 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I think you should re-consider the bit in bold, it's hardly as if he's been waiting weeks for someone to pick up the sponsorship for his jersey!!

The guy signed yesterday afternoon and within an hour the shirt sponsorship had been announced.....in our business we sponsor a player but don't actually ask for a particular player, once we've agreed to sponsor it's generally the next guy that signs that we get, I accept this would be different for individuals choosing their favourites but I'm pretty sure that SMiSA will do the same as us.

I had thought about that as I typed, however, you make my point beautifully.

The ink is barely dry (as you acknowledge) and sponsorship was announced within an hour with SMISA named as the sponsor of the home kit.

I find it unbelievable that SMISA were waiting in the wings for the next signing to come along, especially as a couple of players already signed still don't have a home or away kit sponsored. If it was a case of just being allocated, SMISA would have sponsored a players kit already.

The Club could have at least made an effort to find an external sponsor and attempted to bring new money into The Club.

Edited by Graeme Aitken

it was stoopid of the SMISA committee, (not to be confused with SMISA) to sponsor the player, it reduces the already narrow options that exist for raising new revenue.  Nothing SMISA contributes can really be considered new money as it is cash that could (probably should) be spent on other things.

These guys are just pissing around with other people's money.  But there is one interesting point-if they are taking tables at club events using member's money then who is attending?  Is there a ballot where only non committee SMISA members can enter or do they lap up the gravy on their own?  Surely that is a taxable benefit?

1 hour ago, Graeme Aitken said:

I had thought about that as I typed, however, you make my point beautifully.

The ink is barely dry (as you acknowledge) and sponsorship was announced within an hour with SMISA named as the sponsor of the home kit.

I find it unbelievable that SMISA were waiting in the wings for the next signing to come along, especially as a couple of players already signed still don't have a home or away kit sponsored. If it was a case of just being allocated, SMISA would have sponsored a players kit already.

The Club could have at least made an effort to find an external sponsor and attempted to bring new money into The Club.

You may well find it unbelievable but it's exactly the experience I had a couple of years ago when we first sponsored a player...….

CK: that's brilliant, you want to sponsor a player

Me: yeah, more than happy to

CK: any player in mind

Me: not really, just the next one signed will do

Subsequent years have been pretty similar

On 8/9/2018 at 9:40 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You got a can opener I can borrow Wilbur.                                                                                                Would like to see some money saved up over some years so the roofs can be extended with glass plastic. In the winter you can get wet even sitting near the back of the stands. This would add more comfort to the fan experience. The roofs are far too short. 

Yes and how about a net behind both goals at pre match and half time whilst players pelt shots at goal and miss going  straight into the unsuspecting crowd. Not long before someone is seriously injured or worse. Saw a guy get whacked on the head last week and its just a matter of time before a child behind the goal is serously injured. They do it at Parkhead and other clubs. No reason why money shouldn't be spent on this.

Edited by lenziebud

You may well find it unbelievable but it's exactly the experience I had a couple of years ago when we first sponsored a player...….
CK: that's brilliant, you want to sponsor a player
Me: yeah, more than happy to
CK: any player in mind
Me: not really, just the next one signed will do

Subsequent years have been pretty similar

Unbelievable that SMISA were waiting in the wings to sponsor the next player signed when St Mirren have players signed already whose kit is not yet sponsored.

Bring that to today, players with kit sponsorship available (according to official website)

Cody Cooke
Ryan Flynn
Josh Heaton
Jeff King
Jordan Kurkpatrick
Gary Mackenzie
Ian Mcshane
Ross Stewart
Cameron Macpherson
Danny Rogers

10 of 23 (listed) 1st team players have, Home or away kit available to sponsor. Some have both.

Suggests to me, there is no one waiting in the wings for the next player signed but it also demonstrates, other opportunities for new money to generate revenue.

Stone the crows, Adam Eckersly has home and away kit sponsored but he is pictured in last season' kit. They could at least stick the current strip on the fella if the club are accepting peoples money to sponsor it.

Get it sorted Stubbsy.

2 hours ago, Graeme Aitken said:

I think that’s the company that runs the club shop

13 minutes ago, Graeme Aitken said:

Unbelievable that SMISA were waiting in the wings to sponsor the next player signed when St Mirren have players signed already whose kit is not yet sponsored.

Bring that to today, players with kit sponsorship available (according to official website)

Cody Cooke
Ryan Flynn
Josh Heaton
Jeff King
Jordan Kurkpatrick
Gary Mackenzie
Ian Mcshane
Ross Stewart
Cameron Macpherson
Danny Rogers

10 of 23 (listed) 1st team players have, Home or away kit available to sponsor. Some have both.

Suggests to me, there is no one waiting in the wings for the next player signed but it also demonstrates, other opportunities for new money to generate revenue.

Stone the crows, Adam Eckersly has home and away kit sponsored but he is pictured in last season' kit. They could at least stick the current strip on the fella if the club are accepting peoples money to sponsor it.

Get it sorted Stubbsy.

although it wouldn't bother me, and I can honestly say that as we sponsor one of the above named, it may come down to players likely to feature regularly.....that throws up a slightly different argument re Heaton and King right enough!!