The 3 Monthly Spend

Kombibuddie

26 minutes ago, HSS said:

Just had the e-mail in about the latest £2 spend.

1.Murals inside the stadium

2.Equipment to tend the SMiSA bought artificial pitch at Ralston.

3.No spend.

The example shown with the Mural option looks great.Its that magnificent image of Big Thommo after his League Cup Final goal.There would be 2 murals in each of the home stands and they would fairly brighten the place up a bit.

Option 1 got my vote but no doubt the money will be spent on the pitch.

This is a head Vs Heart decision for me. Would love to see the murals and would be happy if the option won. But anything that saves the club money and can contribute to our facilities/ product on the park gets my vote. So two it is. 

In saying that the murals could potentially be a money maker down the line if they’re involved in stadium tours and and that generates income... who knows. 

My preference is the mural paintings. It's time we did something for ourselves and I think they'll look really smart if the work this guy has done in the town is anything to go by.

Given the stuff in town is exterior facing it's going to get much more of a tanking than these which will be inside and protected from the elements. Don't think there should be much upkeep required?

My second preference was to bank.

Third preference was the Astro tractor. We've put quite enough in to that park without also paying for the tractor to maintain it!

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

For some reason I've received the e-mail with my link to vote but not the one that goes into detail about the options. Would someone be able to post it here or send it to me in a DM? Ta in advance.

Dear SMISA member

Happy new year to all our members and we are feeling hopeful 2019 will be a more enjoyable one for everyone connected to St Mirren than the second half of the last year was. Your latest updates from SMISA are below.

January £2 spend ballot

It’s time for the latest vote on where you would like to spend the last quarter’s worth of the £2 portion of your membership. We have developed two projects, listed below, which both follow the theme of brushes (bear with us), of different kinds. There is £3,000 available to spend this quarter and as both projects would take the whole budget, we are asking you to pick one of the below options.

1) Stadium murals - This is a project initially suggested by members in a previous survey which we have looked at on and off over the past couple of years before eventually settling on a format we think works. We are proposing to commission an artist to create six giant murals around the stadium – each commemorating an iconic scene from one of the club’s major trophy wins.

The murals would go on the walls on the inside of the stands (near the toilets and pie stalls) and we hope to have two murals in each of the three home stands (Main, West and Family). Not only would this be a permanent celebration of our greatest moments and bring the club’s history to life for future generations, but it would liven up the stadium’s grey breezeblock interior.

They would be painted by Paisley-based street artist Mark Worst, whose eye-catching work round town will already be familiar to many – he painted the mural of the 1987 cup team in Brown’s Lane and the giant kingfisher on the gable end in Johnston Street.

096c8bd5-fe43-4d28-9e4b-0d93a84682f3.jpg

We have scoped out the project with Mark and he has produced a mock-up of an example mural, shown above, to give you an idea what one might look like. If the mural project wins, we would ask the members to vote for which trophy wins you want Mark to paint a scene from, and to suggest/submit any iconic images which mean most to you. From there, Mark and SMISA will work out which ones are suitable for him to paint. These will include an inscription/caption and SMISA logo.

For logistical reasons and on the advice of the artist these will work best as a portrait of a relevant individual(s) (for example, winning goalscorer or captain/manager/player with trophy) rather than a team shot or large-scale scene. The murals won’t work on the outside of the stands due to the texture of the surface, but Mark advises they will work well on the flat interior walls.

2) Maintenance equipment for Ralston pitch - As you know, SMISA has invested £50,000 towards the new 4G astrograss pitch at the club’s training ground at Ralston, believed to be one of the best surfaces in Scotland. You can see the club’s head of youth Allan McManus thanking SMISA members for your contribution in this video.

Given the surface is being heavily used by the club’s first and youth teams, and that these surfaces do wear down over time, the club are keen to keep it in good condition and prolong its life. With that in mind, they have asked if SMISA could contribute towards equipment to help maintain the surface – in the form of a mini tractor with extendable brushes. Our £3,000 would pay for the bulk of the cost, and the club would make up the rest. You can see a similar machine in action in this video.

3) None of the above - Members can also vote for neither of the above, which means the money would stay in the pot for possible use in the future.

Your link to vote by secure online ballot will follow this email – whichever of the three options above has the most votes will win. Voting will be run until Friday 25 January.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Cheers div :)

So the fans pay for the 4G pitch, are being asked to pay for a game on it and are now being asked to pay for its upkeep. Hmmm.

Murals for me.

This is St Mirren, not Rangers. not Celtic, not even Scotland, ST MIRREN, , you should be donating 5 pints of blood every week, if not why NOT? :D

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Cheers div :)

So the fans pay for the 4G pitch, are being asked to pay for a game on it and are now being asked to pay for its upkeep. Hmmm.

Murals for me.

I think I'll keep my typing finger away from a keyboard on this one. I think Teresa May's Brexit deal that got bombed out was more imaginative.

Did they not think about the maintenance before buying? or was it another one of these "we'll get SMISA to pay for that too"

Buy the groundsman a good quality sturdy brush suitable for astro. Jobs a good un.

4 hours ago, Kombibuddie said:

I think I'll keep my typing finger away from a keyboard on this one. I think Teresa May's Brexit deal that got bombed out was more imaginative.

Did they not think about the maintenance before buying? or was it another one of these "we'll get SMISA to pay for that too"

Buy the groundsman a good quality sturdy brush suitable for astro. Jobs a good un.

From reading the request, it looks like this will extend the useful life and keep it in better shape but it’s not an essential. For me, this is exactly one of the types of uses the discretionary fund was set up for. 

If it isn’t voted for then a manual fix from the groundsman seems like the likely option. 

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Or maybe the Club could buy the equipment required?

I'm sure they could. Maybe they will if it's a no vote, I don't know. 

My point has always been, as long as there is a majority of voting members that want us to save the club money, options like this will always have a place on the vote. 

Voted for the murals, would look great I think and another step towards making legoland at least feel slightly like home. Would be great to have something similar around the outside of the stadium too. There's no need for the place to be such a drab carbon copy of other new build homes. A bit of bohemian spirit would be very welcome indeed.

Agree with the above posters, the fund is not there for day-to-day maintenance of facilities. The club needs to budget for that itself. I'd be staggered if that was voted through. 

The Club is getting subsidised because it is absolutely shite and hopeless at spending our Season Ticket money , Gate Money, TV Fees and any other Income that comes in. 

SMISA should have nothing to do with run of the mill expenses. 

SAVE SAVE SAVE. 

Crowdfund for fecking murals. 

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Or maybe the Club could buy the equipment required?

54 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

That’s my position. We’ve supported over and above by replacing the surface and saving the club money. Think they could meet us a little bit of the way on this one...

While there's the opportunity to shake the Smisa Magic Money Tree.... Gordon will just keep sending the bills in. This was his position even before BTB was secured! He said way back.. "but that money is just sitting there".

From reading the request, it looks like this will extend the useful life and keep it in better shape but it’s not an essential. For me, this is exactly one of the types of uses the discretionary fund was set up for. 

If it isn’t voted for then a manual fix from the groundsman seems like the likely option. 

A decent broom and a bit of elbow grease will do the same job and save SMISA a fortune (for Murals or saving altogether)

1 hour ago, Kombibuddie said:

A decent broom and a bit of elbow grease will do the same job and save SMISA a fortune (for Murals or saving altogether)

I doubt it would do the same job and even if it did it would take longer. A bit of machinery to keep the pitch in good condition for our players to train on, extends its life and saves time.

Benefits my club = gets my vote. 

Would be fine with any option that passes though.

I doubt it would do the same job and even if it did it would take longer. A bit of machinery to keep the pitch in good condition for our players to train on, extends its life and saves time.
Benefits my club = gets my vote. 
Would be fine with any option that passes though.
What benefit do you expect this heavy piece of machinery to do exactly?