Jack Ross - Manager of the Month

1 minute ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Didn't ask me to subscribe and I'm not an existing suibscriber.

I must have read a couple of stories previously. If anything like the Herald group, they let you read a couple to lure you in then ask for a subscription.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

I must have read a couple of stories previously. If anything like the Herald group, they let you read a couple to lure you in then ask for a subscription.

Here's the gist of it

Ross County chairman Roy MacGregor says manager Jim McIntyre is going nowhere following interest from Dundee.

The Dens Park club had targeted McIntyre as a potential successor to Neil McCann, who decided against making his interim stint as manager permanent.

MacGregor will not entertain any approach for McIntyre, who led the Staggies to the League Cup in 2016, should the Dark Blues come calling.

MacGregor said: “We have had no approach and we won’t welcome any approaches.

“He is not interested, he’s doing a job and he’s halfway through that.

“We want to make it very clear, with no ambiguity, that he’s going nowhere.”

32 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Reality is- Dundee will play the top teams in Scotland, therefore IF a manager can do a job there then their stock is far higher.

Don't necessarily agree with that. Canning is a premier League manager. Is his stock higher for keeping them up this season? Or Steve Robinson - is his stock higher? Winning a League would improve your reputation more than keeping a team in the bottom six of the Premier league in my humble opinion. If I were a manager the chance of winning something rather than treading water has more appeal to me. If he gets us promotion then clubs far better than Dundee will be showing interest.

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

I think the only thing that pains you my friend........is when you have bugger all to gripe about, I do believe you enjoy wallowing in negativity

Honest question?

how is another(lets be honest 'bigger') club making a formal approach for our manager my fault, or due to you believing I am negative towards it?

if you want someone to blame try Dundee, Smfc or Ross, or any of their agents... the only parties actually involved.

edit: apparently Ross is in Aberdeen's thoughts too if McInnes goes to Sunderland or Middlesborough 

Edited by Lord Pityme

I can't see Jack moving to Dundee. Aberdeen or Hearts maybe but Dundee no.

A young manager in Scotland should be looking at England as the end career goal. That's the move that could end up being life changing for him and his family.

Will a move at this point in time to Dundee open the door to that kind of move? I highly doubt it. What's he going to achieve at Dundee? A top 6 finish at best? There's a long list of managers that have achieved that with similar clubs to Dundee and haven't had a sniff of a job down south and certainly not a 'big' job down there.

If Jack is as bright a guy as we think he is he'll be looking longer term and realise his stock would be at its highest by getting us up and keeping us up for a season. That would be the time to move on.

One slight reservation for a chairman might be that he's not stayed at any one club particularly long and completed a project. He's in the perfect situation to do that with us at the moment.

Maybe he'll take the short term view and pocket the extra £20k a year or whatever it would but I honestly think that would be a mistake for his own career longer term.

9 minutes ago, yardley1877 said:

I can't see Jack moving to Dundee. Aberdeen or Hearts maybe but Dundee no.

A young manager in Scotland should be looking at England as the end career goal. That's the move that could end up being life changing for him and his family.

Will a move at this point in time to Dundee open the door to that kind of move? I highly doubt it. What's he going to achieve at Dundee? A top 6 finish at best? There's a long list of managers that have achieved that with similar clubs to Dundee and haven't had a sniff of a job down south and certainly not a 'big' job down there.

If Jack is as bright a guy as we think he is he'll be looking longer term and realise his stock would be at its highest by getting us up and keeping us up for a season. That would be the time to move on.

One slight reservation for a chairman might be that he's not stayed at any one club particularly long and completed a project. He's in the perfect situation to do that with us at the moment.

Maybe he'll take the short term view and pocket the extra £20k a year or whatever it would but I honestly think that would be a mistake for his own career longer term.

And would getting St. Mirren up and keeping us up get Jack Ross a job in England?

And what if he doesn't get St. Mirren up?

If he goes to Dundee now then he gets a bigger wage right away. In addition, I think it will be easier for him to keep Dundee up than to get St. Mirren promoted. Indeed, it will probably be easier to get them into the top 6 in that league than to get us promoted.

Some newspapers reporting that St. Mirren have approached Hearts with a view to signing Gavin Reilly. How does that sit with all the turmoil around JR's position at the moment? Is it an indication that JR will stay and it's business as usual, recruiting players for next season?

Edited by pondsman
Spelling

28 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

In addition, I think it will be easier for him to keep Dundee up than to get St. Mirren promoted. Indeed, it will probably be easier to get them into the top 6 in that league than to get us promoted.

The chances are next season that Brechin and Dumbarton will not be vying for promotion. That gives us a 1 in 8 chance of winning the League.

The chances are next season that Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs will be the top five in the Premier League giving Dundee a 1 in 7 chance of making the top six.

Not much difference in odds and winning a League is a better result than finishing 6th top. And I reckon he has a better squad at St Mirren than he would at Dundee as of now.

EDIT TO ADD: I posted this next bit in another thread but it is also relevant here.

When the season finished McCann was asked if he was continuing as manager. From the Evening Telegraph ....

'Those poor results, and more importantly poor displays, may have given Neil doubts over whether or not to take on the role as full-time Dens boss.

It’s clear from the season as a whole, and demonstrated by those two final results of the season — a 2-0 loss to Inverness and a desperately poor 4-0 defeat to Hamilton — the Dundee playing squad needs a lot of work.

And it’s been reported McCann is seeking assurances from John Nelms over available funds to reshape the team.'

He said he would talk with the Board and see how much was available to rebuild. McCann then resigned.

Two things strike me 1. Dundee have no war chest for anyone and 2. Their squad is pretty shit.

Edited by Sonny

12 minutes ago, Sonny said:

And I reckon he has a better squad at St Mirren than he would at Dundee as of now

The thing that worries me more than anything if he goes is how does he get Dundee a better playing squad cheaply, Lewis Morgan, Kyle Magennis would be first on his list you would think maybe Stelios & Davis too.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The thing that worries me more than anything if he goes is how does he get Dundee a better playing squad cheaply, Lewis Morgan, Kyle Magennis would be first on his list you would think maybe Stelios & Davis too.

You think Dundee could afford Lewis Morgan and Kyle Magennis lol? 

Behave yourself ffs.

38 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The chances are next season that Brechin and Dumbarton will not be vying for promotion. That gives us a 1 in 8 chance of winning the League.

The chances are next season that Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs will be the top five in the Premier League giving Dundee a 1 in 7 chance of making the top six.

Not much difference in odds and winning a League is a better result than finishing 6th top. And I reckon he has a better squad at St Mirren than he would at Dundee as of now.

EDIT TO ADD: I posted this next bit in another thread but it is also relevant here.

When the season finished McCann was asked if he was continuing as manager. From the Evening Telegraph ....

'Those poor results, and more importantly poor displays, may have given Neil doubts over whether or not to take on the role as full-time Dens boss.

It’s clear from the season as a whole, and demonstrated by those two final results of the season — a 2-0 loss to Inverness and a desperately poor 4-0 defeat to Hamilton — the Dundee playing squad needs a lot of work.

And it’s been reported McCann is seeking assurances from John Nelms over available funds to reshape the team.'

He said he would talk with the Board and see how much was available to rebuild. McCann then resigned.

Two things strike me 1. Dundee have no war chest for anyone and 2. Their squad is pretty shit.

Aye, you can argue both ways.

Would winning the Championship be more likely to get Jack Ross a move to England than finishing in the top 6 with Dundee?

Also, not sure you can say with certainty that Hearts & Hibs will be top 6 next season. Hibs have just taken 3 years to get promoted while Hearts have slid since the appointment of Cathro.

Weighing things up, the offer of better wages now would probably seem more attractive.

Re your last line, those 2 points are probably applicable to most clubs at our level.

Most folk on this thread are obviously seeing things via black & white tinted specs. None of us can understand why Dundee would be more attractive than St. Mirren. Similarly, Dundee fans won't understand what the attraction of staying at St. Mirren would be. Jack Ross' decision won't be so biased!

Holy f**k! My heid is burstin with some the pish on here.

Div, can you freeze this thread until there is something to moan/be happy about?

I think we all need to sit in the sun with a cold drink and relax, just like Jack on his holidays just now.

Fair answer:  re read my comment in which NO blame was attached to you for anything 'other than negativity', my point was and IS with regards to my interpreting many of your previous post as negative, perchance if you re read them you may consider my comments 'fair' .............. or NOT

19 minutes ago, Buffs said:

Div, can you freeze this thread until there is something to moan/be happy about?

I think we all need to sit in the sun with a cold drink and relax, before we hit the bottle.

^_^

31 minutes ago, Buffs said:

I think we all need to sit in the sun with a cold drink and relax, just like Jack on his holidays just now.

Don't you think that Dundee approaching us to take our manager is something to moan about?

You can bet that Jack Ross isn't just sitting relaxing on his holiday. He'll be on his phone non stop just now!

37 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

You can bet that Jack Ross isn't just sitting relaxing on his holiday. He'll be on his phone non stop just now!

Naw he's not. Just called him and got:

"You've reached the voicemail for Jack Ross, manager of the greatest football club on earth. I'm not available right now but if you'd like to leave your name, number and short message, I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Unless you're calling on behalf of Dundee FC in which case, I've already said no so please f*ck off and let me enjoy my holiday"

JACK RESIGNS !!!!

Himself to realising there will always be speculation following periods off success, but in this instance his next interview will be to confirm 'Whilst it's flattering to be linked to other clubs, I have started a job here and i intend on seeing it through after overwhelming support from the fans during our difficult early season form & it is my intention to get us promoted back to the top flight'

[emoji4]

That is how this 'uncertainty' will pan out but needless to say , the uncertainty is only from the support, not the manager ( IMO )

Daily Ranger online now saying that we have offered JR a new deal which he has said he will consider. Also says that JR distanced himself from putting his name to the clubs official refusal as he wants to talk to Dundee.