Jack Ross - Manager of the Month

1 hour ago, pondsman said:

A few points worth contemplating:

1. A phrase not often found in these pages...Shull is absolutely correct. This could, and should, have been knocked on the head on the first day. JR could have allied himself with Gordon Scott's statement and then got on with enjoying his holiday.

2. JR was originally mentioned along with Jim McIntyre for the Dundee job. The Ross County chairman issued a 'hands off' statement very similar to Gordon Scott's. Why did the Dundee board appear to heed the Ross County statement but not Gordon's? After all, Jim McIntyre would appear to have a good record of working in the Premiership on a small budget. He seems to be the one to go for. Was the Dundee board afraid of upsetting a team in their own league? Did they feel that it would be easier to tempt Jack to move up a league? Was he just the 'cheaper option'?

3. IF the Dundee board has sent someone out to speak to Jack, that can only be because they have received some encouragement from either Jack or his agent. If that is the case, it does not fit with many of Jack's previous public pronouncements about what his intentions were at St. Mirren (mention of 'trust, loyalty, team spirit, commitment, returning the team to the Premiership' etc.). As Shull correctly says, many of us (myself included) who are long-time supporters but who have not had season tickets for many years, went out and bought season tickets on the back of what appears to be a revival created in very large part by Jack.

4. Where do we go from here? If Jack goes, then of course we thank him for his work in keeping us in the Championship and move on. However, if he stays, I think it will be difficult to accept his public pronouncements so easily from now on unless he can give a good and honest explanation for his silence in the last few days. We will always be looking over our shoulders, wondering which team is coming to speak to Jack next.

Jack needs to clarify the situation very soon.

Erm.....he's on a family holiday.

I reckon it would be cheaper whisk Jack Ross around the world in a big game of Catch Me If You Can. Would be great entertainment. 

Some of the verbage on this thread certainly is a bit disturbing but not at all surprising when you realise just what fickle arses some of our fans can be. Suggesting that Jack Ross has somehow tarnished his standing with us beyond all credibility even if he doesn't leave is rather laughable. 

I'm very happy in my job but if someone swooped in offering more money, I wouldn't automatically jump at it but I'd be a maniac not to consider what they want to say. 

Div's quote: "if he's clever he is using Dundee to get a few more quid out of Saints"

really..? So avoiding potential relegation at the last game of the season, on goal difference gives Ross the right to hold Us to ransom..? I have never heard a more naive, greed-filled suggestion in my puff!

the backing, support and finance Ross has had from us... he should be feckin compensating us!

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Div's quote: "if he's clever he is using Dundee to get a few more quid out of Saints"

really..? So avoiding potential relegation at the last game of the season, on goal difference gives Ross the right to hold Us to ransom..? I have never heard a more naive, greed-filled suggestion in my puff!

the backing, support and finance Ross has had from us... he should be feckin compensating us!

"You told us he was playing the chairman" - no he didn't. Have you had a blow to the head?

"Hold us to ransom" - negotiating an improved deal isn't holding anyone to ransom.

He has had backing and support, but he's delivered on the park, and now interest is coming from higher leagues. He's allegedly being offered a lot more money - should he turn it down out of hand just so he doesn't upset you? Poor petal.

Div's Quote: "if he's clever he will be using Dundee to get a few more quid out of Saints"

do the board, chairman and fans who went out on a limb for Ross deserve this?

if he thinks Dundee is a better gig, fine move on, we appoint a new manager. But really? Is it right for him to play the people who quite frankly saved his reputation?

Div's Quote: "if he's clever he will be using Dundee to get a few more quid out of Saints"
if he thinks Dundee is a better gig, fine move on, we appoint a new manager. But really? Is it right for him to play the people who quite frankly saved his reputation?

????[emoji23]????

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

There's nothing to suggest, even from Div, who some think can do no wrong, that this IS the case.

IF he was "clever" and "using Dundee" then I would imagine plenty would be pissed off but, as it stands, this is only speculation.

Poor from Div to suggest this, IMO, and no need to flog it to death as it's a non story IMO.

So if you're excelling at your job and you feel entitled to a rise, would you ask your boss?
Or say your boss realises you're an asset to the company and another firm came to head hunt you, to which your current boss offers you a pay rise to stay - what would you call this? Personally I would call it good business.
If I was your co worker and I seen how well you were doing at your job and you went and got a rise, I wouldn't say you were holding the company to ransom, which is ridiculous!

The meltdown from some of the "fans" on this thread right now is insane. Quick to believe what they read on any tabloid or any Dundee forum and jump to their own conclusions. Jack has done so much for us, so why don't we let him enjoy his (much deserved) family holiday for now.

Que sera sera, we're St Mirren... nothing is ever easy.

Lord Pitiful doesn't understand the mechanics of the word "if".

He also doesn't understand the concept of holding someone to ransom.

Apparently it's fine for Jack to move on, but also not fine - all in the same line!

Apart from that it's a perfectly rational post...

I think we should actually wait to hear from Jack Ross before jumping to any conclusions or engaging in this type of discussion.

It wouldn't sit well with me if he decided to jump to an only slightly bigger club after being given assurances of staying in charge no matter which league we ended up in.  However, at the moment we don't have much more than paper talk to go on.

In short, the man deserves to have his voice heard before we entertain any more of your pish.

6 minutes ago, DWBud said:

So if you're excelling at your job and you feel entitled to a rise, would you ask your boss?
Or say your boss realises you're an asset to the company and another firm came to head hunt you, to which your current boss offers you a pay rise to stay - what would you call this? Personally I would call it good business.
If I was your co worker and I seen how well you were doing at your job and you went and got a rise, I wouldn't say you were holding the company to ransom, which is ridiculous!

The meltdown from some of the "fans" on this thread right now is insane. Quick to believe what they read on any tabloid or any Dundee forum and jump to their own conclusions. Jack has done so much for us, so why don't we let him enjoy his (much deserved) family holiday for now.

Que sera sera, we're St Mirren... nothing is ever easy.

But it's only "IF" so none of the above.

I couldn't give a monkeys if we double his wages  , it would be worth it considering the feel good factor that he has created in a short space of time. We probably should have offered him a new deal anyway on the back of the increased home gates and the early , 100%+ increase in ST sales !

Dundee come in, offer him 3 times his current salary. Saints offer a new deal to reward for his good work last season and recognise the interest from Dundee, with the massive increase offered. Is this him holding us to ransom? Really? Should he turn down the offer from us and keep his current salary? 

Would you?

52 minutes ago, Drew said:

This is messy. The messier it becomes, the more likely it is that Dundee will abandon their pursuit.

I think this is an increasingly likely outcome.

3 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

It's difficult to play a guessing game, but the longer it drags on the more likely you'd think Dundee would get their man. 

I'm confused, :wacko:

1 hour ago, shull said:

Moved on?  :lol:

We certainly did. 

How do you know his time was up? 

He got sacked. 

Are you really that daft to not understand the difference between your contract expiring and being sacked?  Gus, Craig and Rae were sacked as they were all under contract. Danny wasn't. By your own understanding any player out of contract and released by their club has been sacked. Utter nonsense.  The board and many fans felt a change was needed, sadly the board madeca right pigs arse of things.

1 minute ago, nedflanders123 said:

Are you really that daft to not understand the difference between your contract expiring and being sacked?  Gus, Craig and Rae were sacked as they were all under contract. Danny wasn't. By your own understanding any player out of contract and released by their club has been sacked. Utter nonsense.  The board and many fans felt a change was needed, sadly the board madeca right pigs arse of things.

I thought that Gus was the same as Danny - Contract not renewed at the end of the season?

2 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Pretty sure Gus' contract was also up when he left.

Sacked, mutual consented, contract not renewed - all ways of relieving a manager of his duties. The fact is that he was let go. The means is not important - the important thing is that the board dispensed with his services, and we went on a downward spiral.