Jack Ross - Manager of the Month

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Loy. Yeah Ok. 

Reilly . Meh

Shite season at Dunfermline. Been decent every other. Hearts fans say he's a workhorse who'll get in amongst opposition defences and a few so he should have been given a better crack at it. 

Suppose we'll wait and see. 

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I would assume to have an enquiry there would have to be some evidence that something was done against the rules?

Maybe you can let me know as I haven't heard of anything, unless you take into account what the newspapers printed?

If that was the case, well, the enquiry department would be very busy.

PS I do get your point right enough but it seems to me much ado about nothing.

Inquiry not enquiry.

FFS I know it is cool to be thick but criiiiinge.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Shite season at Dunfermline. Been decent every other. Hearts fans say he's a workhorse who'll get in amongst opposition defences and a few so he should have been given a better crack at it. 

The 'get in amongst them' approach is clearly going to be what we're about next season. You can imagine Smith and Reilly being sent out to hound defences. I know little about Stewart but someone on PB confirmed he was pretty mobile for a guy of his height. 

Still need Loy (or similar). I really hope he comes.

Was speaking to John Nelms last night. He was presenting trophies at my son's football team's awards night. Unfortunately I was introduced to him as a "massive St Mirren fan", so he was a wee bit guarded.
He was telling me that his Texan consortium tried to buy us when we were up for sale, but the asking price was way over what the club was worth. He said he really liked the club, but the Dundee deal was much better for them. He also spoke about the idea of advertising on the stadium roof for planes from the airport.

I obviously asked about Jack Ross. He said that he had 6 managers on his list, but Saints refused permission to approach Jack. I notice he's quoted in this morning's papers saying he didn't break any rules and didn't approach Jack, but his friend did say he had arranged flights to go and speak to him.
Helms also said that "they monitor lots of up and coming managers" and that he is "a big admirer of Jack" and "he is definitely still on our radar".

Later in our conversation I asked about us getting Loy back on loan, joking that I would buy him a beer in return. Helms did say that he had spoken to Jack about that situation recently, but didn't give anything away about the outcome. I wonder if Loy was all he spoke to Jack about???
Anyway, he seemed a nice guy and it was interesting hearing about his past interest in buying us.

The 'get in amongst them' approach is clearly going to be what we're about next season. You can imagine Smith and Reilly being sent out to hound defences. I know little about Stewart but someone on PB confirmed he was pretty mobile for a guy of his height. 
Still need Loy (or similar). I really hope he comes.

I agree, I think Loy was very good for us in the time we had him, he worked very hard and scored some very important goals to keep us up.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

BTW, i Really hope if he comes to us he rams in the goals and proves doubters (like me) wrong!  

20 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Let the enquiry department be busy then.

I suppose it's at GLS's discretion and I be surprised if he wants to go down that road having got the outcome he wants.

In my experience of dealing with GLS through SMiSA i would say he will just leave it be, he will look at it and ask himself if it really matters or if we can gain something from it. He will then decide there is nothing to gain and it would be a waste of precious time and resources.

Was speaking to John Nelms last night. He was presenting trophies at my son's football team's awards night. Unfortunately I was introduced to him as a "massive St Mirren fan", so he was a wee bit guarded.
He was telling me that his Texan consortium tried to buy us when we were up for sale, but the asking price was way over what the club was worth. He said he really liked the club, but the Dundee deal was much better for them. He also spoke about the idea of advertising on the stadium roof for planes from the airport.

I obviously asked about Jack Ross. He said that he had 6 managers on his list, but Saints refused permission to approach Jack. I notice he's quoted in this morning's papers saying he didn't break any rules and didn't approach Jack, but his friend did say he had arranged flights to go and speak to him.
Helms also said that "they monitor lots of up and coming managers" and that he is "a big admirer of Jack" and "he is definitely still on our radar".

Later in our conversation I asked about us getting Loy back on loan, joking that I would buy him a beer in return. Helms did say that he had spoken to Jack about that situation recently, but didn't give anything away about the outcome. I wonder if Loy was all he spoke to Jack about???
Anyway, he seemed a nice guy and it was interesting hearing about his past interest in buying us.

Above all what I took out of that is they make a point of monitoring up and coming managers. The lack of a strategic approach by the previous board in my opinion is a huge contributor to us being where we are. I would expect that to have to have changed. There are of course no guarantees in appointing a new manager but you need to give yourself the best chance of success. Apologies for making this point again. Clearly a bugbear for me.

1 hour ago, Balmullo Bud said:

He did enquire about buying Saints but was put off by the price tag and conditions of sale, meaning he and his consortium were not regarded as suitable persons to sell to.

1 hour ago, buddiecat said:

He did enquire about buying Saints but was put off by the price tag and conditions of sale, meaning he and his consortium were not regarded as suitable persons to sell to.

Wsn;t there something about them running some sort of football academy in the US and wanting to bring over a lot of their players, put them in the first team and them sell them on, the same plan they had when the Dungdee fans sold out their ownership. I wonder how that's been going ?

Naive of anyone, especially in this day and age,  to think that clubs don't tap up players and managers all the time.

A club denying permission to speak to a player or a manager really isn't worth a thing. Most players and managers have agents (although interestingly Douglas McNeil says Jack doesn't have an agent even though some bloke was quoted this week as being so) and their job, regardless of whether we like it or not, is to get the very best deal they can for their client.

If the nett outcome of this week is that Jack is earning a bit more money, but is going to be harder to spring if any future interest arises elsewhere, then that should be a positive outcome for everyone.

Of course, this is football, if Jack goes on to have an absolutely terrible season and we are bottom of the league come Christmas and looking to punt him, it will now cost us a lot more :o

That's the way the game works and don't laugh because we gave Tom Hendrie a 5 year conrtact on the back of a far more successful campaign than the one we've just had and within 18 months we were desperately looking for a way to get rid!

16 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Of course, this is football, if Jack goes on to have an absolutely terrible season and we are bottom of the league come Christmas and looking to punt him, it will now cost us a lot more :o

Don't think we will be in that position with Jack , definitely not in this league.

Yes of course not, failure to at least get into the promotion play offs this season would be a major disappointment.

Still some work to do with the squad though. Although we could start a game tomorrow with 8 of the 11 men who started at Easter Road we still have very big boots to fill in Loy and in particular Mallan.

I suspect that we'll see another keeper come in to challenge Stewart for the no1 jersey and to be fair I'm not massively fussed if it's The Fish or not.

I suppose still an outside chance we could get Loy, but it will be slim, lots of teams looking to bring goalscorers in, Dunfermline for example went for both Keatings and Murray.

Mallan is the problem. It's a huge ask to expect Kirkpatrick to fill those boots. I hope he can but if you look at the last dozen games of the season and see how many goals and assists Mallan pitched in with he's left a massive hole in the team.

6 minutes ago, div said:

Yes of course not, failure to at least get into the promotion play offs this season would be a major disappointment.

Still some work to do with the squad though. Although we could start a game tomorrow with 8 of the 11 men who started at Easter Road we still have very big boots to fill in Loy and in particular Mallan.

I suspect that we'll see another keeper come in to challenge Stewart for the no1 jersey and to be fair I'm not massively fussed if it's The Fish or not.

I suppose still an outside chance we could get Loy, but it will be slim, lots of teams looking to bring goalscorers in, Dunfermline for example went for both Keatings and Murray.

Mallan is the problem. It's a huge ask to expect Kirkpatrick to fill those boots. I hope he can but if you look at the last dozen games of the season and see how many goals and assists Mallan pitched in with he's left a massive hole in the team.

We have Stephen McGinn , just hope he's spending his holidays reading the Stevie Mallan "Shooting Gallery" although he doesn't fall short in that department.

Nowadays there is little distinction between inquiry and enquiry.

In fact enquiry is used more commonly in "British" English, whereas inquiry tends to be used more often in "American" English.

Looks like someone needs to brush up on their knowledge of modern grammar.

The use of the words pompous fud would seem appropriate here.:rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Nowadays there is little distinction between inquiry and enquiry.

In fact enquiry is used more commonly in "British" English, whereas inquiry tends to be used more often in "American" English.

Looks like someone needs to brush up on their knowledge of modern grammar.

The use of the words pompous fud would seem appropriate here.:rolleyes:

What absolute pish. Stop reading wiki FFS.:lol: