Adam Eckersley

11 hours ago, magnus said:

Is Adam Eckersley suspended for the Morton game? My google efforts on two yellows threw up a comment saying that a two yellows sending off  results in an automatic suspension but after 4 days?! Today apart,I think he has been excellent for us.

He will be a big miss - especially when added to the list of Davis and Morgan. I hope you are right Magnus, we could really do with him against Morton.

I'd want him in for that game rather than Saturdays

Edited by southsidebud

I thought he was a bit unlucky to get a red card yesterday. The second yellow card came in injury time and a few Dumbarton players had been let off with similar challenges and that was the same as his first yellow... both were bookable offences but I thought the referee was very poor yesterday in terms of being even handed (or maybe just keeping up with play). I think there was only 1 or 2 times in the 90 minutes where a Dumbarton player fell to the ground looking for a foul where he didn't give it and lots of timewasting was never dealt with even with a warning and he finished the first half (where there was a stoppage for an injury and for the penalty) before the 45 minutes had been played.

I thought he was a bit unlucky to get a red card yesterday. The second yellow card came in injury time and a few Dumbarton players had been let off with similar challenges and that was the same as his first yellow... both were bookable offences but I thought the referee was very poor yesterday in terms of being even handed (or maybe just keeping up with play). I think there was only 1 or 2 times in the 90 minutes where a Dumbarton player fell to the ground looking for a foul where he didn't give it and lots of timewasting was never dealt with even with a warning and he finished the first half (where there was a stoppage for an injury and for the penalty) before the 45 minutes had been played.

I thought the first yellow was very harsh.

8 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

He played 44 mins 50 secs in the 1st half.

15 hours ago, HSS said:

He played 44 mins 50 secs in the 1st half.

I think a few Dumbarton players got treatment for falling over and one of them hurt himself kicking a St Mirren player, he also stopped play to check Irvine ws ok although by the time he did so Irvine was back on his feet. There were 2 goals and a long delay before the penalty was taken (BBC live text updates had the penalty being awarded on 39 minutes and saved on 41 minutes with Dumbarton players being booked during the delay).

The scoreboard clock must have been started late. I usually have a stopwatch running for my reports and it was at about 45:30 when the first half ended. The BBC live text also mentions 45+1 for half-time. The scoreboard was about 30 seconds out in the second half too.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

The scoreboard clock must have been started late. I usually have a stopwatch running for my reports and it was at about 45:30 when the first half ended. The BBC live text also mentions 45+1 for half-time. The scoreboard was about 30 seconds out in the second half too.

30 seconds added isn't much for a 2 minute delay between the penalty being awarded and taken or for 2 goals and 3 first half bookings plus a few injuries.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Facts like these have no place in a referee witch hunt.

2 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

30 seconds added isn't much for a 2 minute delay between the penalty being awarded and taken or for 2 goals and 3 first half bookings plus a few injuries.

Wasn't saying he played the correct amount of stoppage time, just trying to put an end to the story he played less than 45 minutes in a half. He was useless and had many faults, that was not one.

I think the ref at Palmerston played slightly short of 45 minutes in a half a few weeks ago - don't remember too many folk complaining about that.

1 thing that is wrong in the lower leagues in not knowing how long is going to be added on. What I have noticed is the time added is normally 1 or 2 mins reguardless of what have actually happens in the game. Maybe the refs just like to get home early in the lower leagues [emoji460]

No added time announcements in lower leagues because there is no 4th official to save clubs cash is my understanding

Believe that is the case but surely it doesn't need to be a 4th official to do it. Just get the ball boy nearest to the dugout to do it. Can't be hard to punch in 1 number [emoji460]

9 hours ago, Stu said:

The scoreboard clock runs slow.

It loses 30 secs every 45 minutes.

I time each half with my iphone.

14 hours ago, renfrew said:

Believe that is the case but surely it doesn't need to be a 4th official to do it. Just get the ball boy nearest to the dugout to do it. Can't be hard to punch in 1 number emoji460.png

There's more to it than that. The fourth official actually times the game and suggests the amount of injury time not simply punch in a number. Ensuring the game lasts the correct length of time is a duty of the officials and part of the rules of the game So it can't be farmed out to anyone other than an official assigned to that match. Imagine the furore if a St Mirren ball boy added on 4 minutes of injury time and we scored a winner during that period? Or if the reverse happened to us? And even if we accept that the ref doesn't have to accept the added time this Tom, Dick or Harry might suggest he would be under pressure if he didn't if it could have affected the result. Not practical for anyone other than an official to suggest added time. No fourth official no announcements I'm afraid

Edited by Danny

Should do what rugby do. A game clock at the side of the pitch controlled by the referee. Ref stops it for injuries / subs. Hits 45/90mins then next time the ball goes out of play it's half/full time. Simple technology all Scottish League teams could have. 

4th officials are a waste of space and using 6 Scotland's higher rated referees to stand on the touch line at Premiership games is wasting them and meaning additional diddies in the Championship. 

3 hours ago, Danny said:

There's more to it than that. The fourth official actually times the game and suggests the amount of injury time not simply punch in a number. Ensuring the game lasts the correct length of time is a duty of the officials and part of the rules of the game So it can't be farmed out to anyone other than an official assigned to that match. Imagine the furore if a St Mirren ball boy added on 4 minutes of injury time and we scored a winner during that period? Or if the reverse happened to us? And even if we accept that the ref doesn't have to accept the added time this Tom, Dick or Harry might suggest he would be under pressure if he didn't if it could have affected the result. Not practical for anyone other than an official to suggest added time. No fourth official no announcements I'm afraid

I would have thought it was the ref who decided what to add on since as you say, we don't have a 4th official :unsure:  In the diddy league why cant the ref tell the stand lineman X amount of mins, and he tell the ball boy, assistant manager or 1 of the dozens of people who are sitting or standing about the dugouts.