Dundee United v St Mirren Championship 22/4/17

shull

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

Wee baldy's side in the semi and Goody's side in the final....

St Mirren legends here there and everywhere.

Hope my bloody Season Ticket is valid.

I don't feel too downhearted. There was a time, not so long ago this season, where I'd look at fixtures like Dundee United, Hibs, Falkirk away..  and think we were going to lose. Now, I think we look the equal of anyone in this league. Today was a scunner, but I believe in this team now. They played well today, big heart. 

Bring on the Raith.

3 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

Quite worried now, since nerves may become a factor in the last couple of games (particularly if the hibs v raith game doesn't go our way), there could potentially be a lot of tension next Saturday.

Potentially a lot of soiled breeks.

Just back from the Utd game which unusually I took in completely sober. A few people have already posted the Steve McCroskey from Airplane! “I picked the wrong week to quit drinking videos and that’s exactly how I feel.

Anyway first comment on the crowd. Superb. Many of the recognised singing section ended up right down at the front behind the Goals and young Josh made excellent use of the Bill boards to replace his drum. The atmosphere was electric and his fist rendition of The introduction to DO ROO, DO ROO………..St MIRREN brought a big smile to my face as he battered his palms off the bill Boards and almost sounded as loud as he usually did. They took The Drum of the Boy but they couldn’t take the boy out of the Drum.

I thought we played well in the first half and apart from their goal which was bizarre they didn’t have that many chances. The goal was played out right in front of me. The tackle on Baird was an undisputed foul. I think a few of the St Mirren Players including McKenzie and O’Brien were waiting on the whistle which maybe contributed to McKenzie getting Pole Axed before Mikkelson unleashed his wonder shot which soared into the top corner. It was a well taken Goal but he should never have been allowed to take the shot. The ref had a nightmare and at various points both sets of fans were singing “You don’t know what you’re doing”

There were a few hard-fought battles and cynical tackles and Mikkelson was putting himself about. Just about every time he went into a tackle the result was bodies lying about the park. Mikkelson eventually had to go off to get stitched up. Yellow cards were flying I think about 4 of them got booked and at one point I thought Gary McKenzie would get sent off because of the abuse he continued to give the Ref after he was pole axed. Thankfully he didn’t and he bulleted in the header from Mallan’s Free Kick.

Dundee Utd were certainly the more Streetwise team in the second half. Cynical fouls from both teams but they were more effective. I thought Baird had a good game and despite having been bandaged up with blood seeping through the dressing he wasn’t shy about heading the ball away. Dundee Utd came close a couple of times and hit the bar before Billy made his dreadful mistake. I don’t know what he was thinking and I don’t think he was under pressure and it was a long pass back but he picked it up. I couldn’t believe it and Andreu couldn’t miss from that short distance. What a fecking disaster of a goal that was.

Heads were down and to be honest I wasn’t inspired by Todd coming on but I was happy to see Loy going off. Nothing was going for him and he always seemed out of position at the crucial time but Todd’s goal was immense. It seemed like the chance had passed when the ball broke out to the side of the goal and he turned and whipped it into the net. Feck we were back in it and it was a goal worthy of a point and the perfect conciliation for Billy’s f**k up but the joy didn’t last long before Shittal scored. To be fair it was a well taken shot but feck it losing a last-minute goal was cruel. The first two were bad but the third was a sore one.

The team played well, the ref had a shocker and we had a couple of mad moments that lost us the game.

It’s not easy being a Saints Fan.

Edited by East Lothian Saint

Wasn't there today so can't comment on today's game. We have undoubtedly improved greatly in the last 3/4 months but it means nothing unless we beat raith next week which is probably our most important game in a generation. If we lose its play off at best and who knows what will happen to our squad etc if we slip into 3rd tier. I would be disappointed if there is less than 6000 there next week , but at least nobody can say it's dull supporting the buddies! 

I forgot to mention - big shout out to Jamie Langfield. During the pre-match shooting practice, a Rory Loy shot flew over the bar, and not far from me, smacked a Saints fan in a grey sweatshirt right in the face. The guy was wearing glasses, his glasses flew off and the poor bloke took a tumble on the gangway stairs. Rory Loy looked mortified. The guy was helped up by a couple of fans and they gave Rory Loy a thumbs up, and the shooting practice carried on. As the players left towards the tunnel, Jamie Langfield jumped the barrier, ran up to the fan (who's glasses were in two pieces), and made sure he was OK. It seemed that Langfield was indicating that he could get the trainer to check him if he was in trouble. The fan indicated he was OK, and Jamie Langfield gave the guy his gloves and his training top. We gave Langfield a round of applause. Well played Jamie Langfield.

Just watched the goal on Div's periscope link. You can't really see the tackle on Baird and its not apparent he's injured until during the celebrations when he trots off to be treated. He returns with a bandaged head and the blood from the wound was visible on the bandage. The Tackle on McKenzie looks even worse than I thought. In real time I thought he had been elbowed but he gets fecking Mikkelsons studs in his chest. Absolutely outrageous. What the feck was Craig Charleston all about It looks like he runs into the corner to celebrate with the Dundee Utd players. Outrageous refereeing.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Wee baldy's side in the semi and Goody's side in the final....

St Mirren legends here there and everywhere.

This might be a stupid question I just assumed the Relegation playoffs took the same format as the promotion ones. Do the league 1 teams fight it out to see who plays 9th in our league or is it a semi for everyone and a final for the winners. 

This might be a stupid question I just assumed the Relegation playoffs took the same format as the promotion ones. Do the league 1 teams fight it out to see who plays 9th in our league or is it a semi for everyone and a final for the winners. 

Certainly a common misconception that the Championship playoffs follow the same pattern as the Premiership playoffs. Sadly for us, they don't. The format for the playoffs are as follows:

9th in the championship v 4th in league 1 over two legs.

2nd in league 1 v 3rd in league 1 over 2 legs

The winner of both 'semi finals' then moves to the final, which is also over two legs. The winner of the final then plays in the championship next season.

To give you a flavour of who we could be facing in the semi, there is currently four teams locked on 46 points in League 1 between 3rd and 6th. They are East Fife, Brechin, Airdrie and Queens Park. Alloa are assured of second place and will play one of those four in the other playoff semi.

29 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Certainly a common misconception that the Championship playoffs follow the same pattern as the Premiership playoffs. Sadly for us, they don't. The format for the playoffs are as follows:

9th in the championship v 4th in league 1 over two legs.

2nd in league 1 v 3rd league over 2 legs

The winner of both 'semi finals' then moves to the final, which is also over two legs. The winner of the final then plays in the championship next season.

To give you a flavour of who we could be facing in the semi, there is currently four teams locked on 46 points in League 1 between 3rd and 6th. They are East Fife, Brechin, Airdrie and Queens Park. Alloa are assured of second place and will play one of those four in the other playoff semi.

Cheers TC

Four more games and no doubt two on wednesday nights over a very short time scale. Going to Brechin, Alloa or East Fife on a Wednesday Night won't be much fun for those who prefer not to take the car. Hampden and Airdrie aren't much better come to think of it. Feck the playoffs are worse than I thought. Saturday games should attract big crowds though.

I'm back to feeling less optimistic about finishing 8th or better now! We've gone from sitting 8th a few weeks ago to seeing Raith and now Dumbarton overtake us in the last two weeks and Raith now have a game in hand against a Hibs team who have just lost a Hampden semi final a few days beforehand. Also the manner of the goals today... dodgy decisions leading to the first goal, stupidity setting up the second and then losing the game in the 90th minute having made it 2-2 in the 86th minute meaning that after going away to Tannadice, scoring twice and having more possession, more shots on target, more corners we end up coming away with nothing, and now Ayr are back to picking up points regularly again when they were looking dead in the water a few weeks ago. 

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

If it is the playoffs I personally would feel pretty confident. You paint it as a 1 in 4 chance I would suggest if it happens we will be pretty strong favourites to prevail. Anyway mute point at this stage lets see what the position is this time next week.

It is not a 1 in 4 chance of staying up.

It is 1 in 3.

So if he was implying that then I am afraid he is wrong about his probabilities as well.

Edited by oaksoft

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, stlucifer said:

Hibs have a lot to say about it. Dundee Utd. also to play Ayr and Dumbarton. At this time of the season almost every team have a say. The most important  team who can help us is US. Not anyone else.

13 hours ago, farmer john said:

yes, all to those who said "it doesn't matter what others do, only what WE do"...of COURSE it  does and always did. We have to hope Hibs win their next 2 matches. If they dont...well, they just better.

I think most were saying the same thing as myself. NOT that it didn't matter. Before yesterday the above statement was true. It's still true as, if we win our next two games and the playoffs we keep our Championship status. IF things go our way elsewhere we have less games to do it