Dundee United v St Mirren Championship 22/4/17

shull

2 hours ago, No Ninjas said:

What were the referees comments to Jack Ross after the game?

Jack had asked him about his mistake on the first goal and he basically fobbed him of by saying it didn't matter because we would be all right because we are playing well.. How patronising is that. 

11 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Cheers TC

Four more games and no doubt two on wednesday nights over a very short time scale. Going to Brechin, Alloa or East Fife on a Wednesday Night won't be much fun for those who prefer not to take the car. Hampden and Airdrie aren't much better come to think of it. Feck the playoffs are worse than I thought. Saturday games should attract big crowds though.

For what it's worth, I follow the West Lothian Courier's sports reporter who covers Livingston's games on Twitter and he has said for much of the season that whichever Championship team ends up in the relegation play-offs will have little problem staying up because the standard is awful. Would rather not test his theory though!

On 19/04/2017 at 1:42 PM, Lord Pityme said:

Maybe some of the buds attacking your view havent realised we are fighting relegation, and Dun Utd are heading to the play offs?

had a good long think about these last three games and I think they will continue to play out as recent games have with the bottom clubs all losing and perhaps winning in their last three games. Big question will be can Ayr rally and swap places, or are they consigned to the basement?

our games are against three teams all fighting for something, Hibs wont want to lose on their title celebration day, they will be looking for exhibition football.

all things considered I think we will end up in the play off place.

Still think this is where we will end up. Then its tin hats on and over the top on the whistle......

How do you work that out? Ignoring better players/manager, just using the fact that there are four teams in it and only one can win. We are obviously 3 to 1 against, the same as everyone else but that is one chance in four. I'm drunk just now though, so I might be missing something blatantly obvious. [emoji4]

It is 1 in 4, unless you're in the world of professor oaky. Not sure what substance he's been taking to think it's 1 in 3.

11 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

How do you work that out? Ignoring better players/manager, just using the fact that there are four teams in it and only one can win. We are obviously 3 to 1 against, the same as everyone else but that is one chance in four. I'm drunk just now though, so I might be missing something blatantly obvious. :)

In order for us to remain in the division we only need to play two of the other three teams.

The fact that the second of those teams needs to beat a fourth team is irrelevant.

Therefore from the perspective of the winning team it can be thought of as essentially a cup competition with only 3 teams.

i.e. 1 in 3

The logic is the same in any competition. In tennis It doesnt matter to Andy Murray that Djokovic, Nadal and Federer ar in the same competition if the other 3 are in the other half of the draw because he can only face one of them at the most.

Edited by oaksoft

15 minutes ago, Soctty said:

It is 1 in 4, unless you're in the world of professor oaky. Not sure what substance he's been taking to think it's 1 in 3.

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

In order for us to remain in the division we only need to play two of the other three teams.

The fact that the second of those teams needs to beat a fourth team is irrelevant.

Therefore from the perspective of the winning team it can be thought of as essentially a cup competition with only 3 teams.

i.e. 1 in 3

Soctty, if you had any self awareness you would be feeling a bit foolish now.

Always best to wait for the explanation before stuffing both feet in your mouth trying to be a smart arse.

Alternatively find the error in my logic and you win a prize.

Edited by oaksoft

Soctty, if you had any self awareness you would be feeling a bit foolish now.
Always best to wait for the explanation before stuffing both feet in your mouth trying to be a smart arse.
Alternatively find the error in my logic and you win a prize.

If you didn't talk utter dogshit you wouldn't be mocked quite as often as you are. We are one of 4 teams, each of whom have a 1 in 4 chance of being in the Championship next season. It's so simple a primary school kid could work it out.

Your "explanation" is utter bollocks. It's one big error.

i.e. 1 in 3
The logic is the same in any competition. In tennis It doesnt matter to Andy Murray that Djokovic, Nadal and Federer ar in the same competition if the other 3 are in the other half of the draw because he can only face one of them at the most.

[emoji23] This is funny.

4 hours ago, Soctty said:

If you didn't talk utter dogshit you wouldn't be mocked quite as often as you are. We are one of 4 teams, each of whom have a 1 in 4 chance of being in the Championship next season. It's so simple a primary school kid could work it out.

Your "explanation" is utter bollocks. It's one big error.

It CANNOT be 1 in 4 because we dont play all 3 other teams.

It isnt obvious schoolboy arithmetic. It is non-intuitive which is why I took the trouble to explain it in detail.

Dont worry about not understanding the logic. Not everyone is clever enough.

Edited by oaksoft

It isnt obvious schoolboy arithmetic. It is non-intuitive which is why I took the trouble to explain it in detail.

For someone so supposedly intelligent you're incredibly thick.

Again, ask a primary school kid.

For all your time explaining, you're still laughably wrong.

Keep going...

[emoji16]

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Four teams go into the playoffs, one gets promoted,the other don't. One in four is promoted. 

Out of four teams three stay down and one goes up - which is three to one

25% of the teams in the playoff is promoted, 75% are not. In other words 1 in 4 or 3 to 1. 

If you were asked to give a definition of the expression 3 to 1 and were asked to do so by means of an example then this playoff process would be an ideal means of achieving that objective 

5 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Sorry oaky but I think that you're wrong here.

If we have a one in three chance then the other three teams must also have a one in three chance which would mean that there are four chances in three that one of the four teams will be in the Championship - doesn't add up mate.

OK I shall try another approach.

To stay up we need to play team A first and then team B.

I am saying it is irrelevant that team B had to play team C first but you say this is relevant. By your logic, had team B been forced to play teams D, E and F first to qualify to play us that this would reduce our chance of promotion because only one team from 7 would be promoted then. Is that really what you think?

Another way of expressing the same thing is that the 11th placed team in the Prem play only one match to stay in te Premiership but according to your logic they should have a 1 in 4 chance only because 4 teams take part. I would disagee.

In summary it is the number of teams you have to play decides things and not how many teams take part. That should be obvious really.

7 hours ago, Soctty said:

For someone so supposedly intelligent you're incredibly thick.

Again, ask a primary school kid.

For all your time explaining, you're still laughably wrong.

Keep going...

emoji16.png

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Oh dear. :lol:

Why dont you two hush up and watch how adults manage to negotiate an exchange of ideas.

In the meantime, one of you brainboxes can try my special puzzle designed for schoolchildren. 

Three friends go for a meal and it comes to £30. They each give the waiter £10.

The waiter gets to the till but realises he has overcharged them £5. The meal should have come to £25. The three friends have insulted the waiter all night so he puts £25 of the £30 in the till, cheekily pockets £2 for the hassle they have caused him all night and gives the friends £3 back telling them the meal was £27.

The friends take a pound each and go home happy, each having paid £9 for their meal.

So the friends have paid £27 in total and the waiter has £2 in his pocket.

That only accounts for £29. Where is the extra pound?

For an extra brucey bonus try solving this simple kiddies maths problem without searching the internet.

Edited by oaksoft

5 hours ago, uhura said:

Four teams go into the playoffs, one gets promoted,the other don't. One in four is promoted. 

Out of four teams three stay down and one goes up - which is three to one

25% of the teams in the playoff is promoted, 75% are not. In other words 1 in 4 or 3 to 1. 

If you were asked to give a definition of the expression 3 to 1 and were asked to do so by means of an example then this playoff process would be an ideal means of achieving that objective 

I can only re-explain your error here. It is irrelevant how many teams play in the other half of the draw. We only play one of them

If you disagree, then you will need to explain why there is a bias in the promotion race for the Premier league towards the 11th placed team who clearly have the advantage of only having the play one match.

Edited by oaksoft

I can only re-explain your error here. It is irrelevant how many teams play in the other half of the draw. We only play one of them
If you disagree, then you will need to explain why there is a bias in the promotion race for the Premier league towards the 11th placed team who clearly have the advantage of only having the play one match.

Admit you're wrong, and you may escape wth a little dignity. We all make mistakes.

There's a good lad...

[emoji6]