Dundee United v St Mirren Championship 22/4/17

shull

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Although for someone who seemed upset at a ref saying you're a good team and playing well and you'll stay up Jack's message was exactly the same - if we play like that in the last two games we will stay up.

But surely the ref was just saying this to deflect the fact that he'd made a monumental fuk up for the first Utd goal , amongst other fuk ups .

31 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

That's the same as what smcc said just explained in different words.

Don't start him - he'll set you another primary school teaser to deflect from his latest misunderstanding...

At least he's not still banging on about us having a 1 in 3 chance of staying up in the play offs...seems to have gone quiet on that front. :lol:

From ET ...

Gary MacKenzie floored by ref and Dane as St Mirren fall back into mire

Saints defender Gary Mackenzie lies on the pitch after being pole-axed by United striker Thomas Mikkelsen who then scored the opener

Saints defender Gary Mackenzie lies on the pitch after being pole-axed by United striker Thomas Mikkelsen who then scored the opener

GARY MacKENZIE was pole-axed by Thomas Mikkelsen and referee Craig Charleston as Dundee United’s Danish striker celebrated a controversial opener.

The 6ft 4in St Mirren defender was left crumpled in a heap following the seventh-minute flashpoint which left Jack Ross’ side furious.

Mikkelsen’s waist-high challenge was somehow permitted by Charleston as the Dane proceeded to lash home a thunderous volley.

Mikkelsen admitted later to MacKenzie he’d been guilty of a foul and, while the visitors recovered to equalise twice, the result put Saints back into the play-off position.

“I didn’t even know it was a goal,” reflected MacKenzie who went onto level matters with a towering 39th minute header.

“I was lying on the deck at the time and thought the noise was for the foul not being given.

“But I then got up and saw that the goal had stood.

“So a wee bit of the red mist came down as to why that kind off goal could possibly have been allowed to stand.

“It was just actual disbelief because it was a foul.

“I’ve taken it on my chest and he’s cracked me.  The fella, to be fair to him, said it was a foul and he caught me near the waist. But you can’t take that back because it’s a goal.

This was Saints’ first defeat in eight as Blair Spittal’s late goal gave United victory after Tony Andreu’s second-half free-kick for United was cancelled out by Buddies’ sub Josh Todd’s exquisite 86th minute strike.

It was tough on Ross’ players especially as it coincided with them slipping back into second-bottom place, and they were critical of Charleston again for punishing Stephen McGinn for what was deemed a deliberate pass-back which led to Andreu’s goal from an indirect free-kick inside the box.

MacKenzie, though, remains confident Saints can avoid the drop with clashes against Raith Rovers and Hibs left.“We deserved something,” stated the 31-year-old defender. 

“So it’s disappointing and a bit of frustration with both their goals.

“A point would have been good but we have to get on with it against Raith Rovers and get a win to put us in a good position going into the final game.”

Meanwhile, United scorer Andreu conceded Ray McKinnon’s men were second-best. 

Frenchman Andreu said: “Overall, they played better than us. 

“But in the end, we showed that we wanted it more. That’s what we need to hang on to for the next games.”

3 hours ago, Sonny said:

Meanwhile, back to the match ...

Three things from the footage - firstly, that is a chest-high straight-studs assault on a St Mirren defender. One of the worst refereeing decisions I have personally witnessed. Up there with failing to send off Artur Boruc for charging out of his goalmouth and halving Craig Dargo in two.

Secondly, what in the name of the wee man was O'Brien thinking about when he picked that passback up? FFS man.

Thirdly, look at the abuse given right in O'Brien's face by a team-mate after his error in catching a clear passback resulted in a United goal. I thought we were looking at a St Johnstone team-mate on team-mate situation developing there.

Finally, O'Brien better not cost us any more goals in these two vital final games. Get a fcuking grip. Harsh? His team-mates clearly don't think so.

Edited by pozbaird

11 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Three things from the footage - firstly, that is a chest-high straight-studs assault on a St Mirren defender. One of the worst refereeing decisions I have personally witnessed. Up there with failing to send off Artur Boruc for charging out of his goalmouth and halving Craig Dargo in two.

Secondly, what in the name of the wee man was O'Brien thinking about when he picked that passback up? FFS man.

Thirdly, look at the abuse given right in O'Brien's face by a team-mate after his error in catching a clear passback resulted in a United goal. I thought we were looking at a St Johnstone team-mate on team-mate situation developing there.

Finally, O'Brien better not cost us any more goals in these two vital final games. Get a fcuking grip. Harsh? His team-mates clearly don't think so.

To be fair that is what McGinn is like, and one of the things that make him a good captain. We have lacked someone to give bollockings to team mates since Goodwin left, and even he didn't administer the kind of verbals that McGinn has doled out a few times now. Remember Stelios after the 2nd goal in the 6-2 win over Ayr? McGinn leads by example so often, but is also able to motivate in other ways...

On the O'Brien passback debacle, he clearly thought it was more of a clearance than a backpass as he would have been more than able to hoof it. He won't make the same mistake again. Time to show his mettle though, and start coming for crosses. Teams are now targetting us with cross balls and high balls into the box - if Billy came out and punched a couple it would give his defence a bit more confidence in him, and possibly stop teams doing it so often.

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

To be fair that is what McGinn is like, and one of the things that make him a good captain. We have lacked someone to give bollockings to team mates since Goodwin left, and even he didn't administer the kind of verbals that McGinn has doled out a few times now. Remember Stelios after the 2nd goal in the 6-2 win over Ayr? McGinn leads by example so often, but is also able to motivate in other ways...

On the O'Brien passback debacle, he clearly thought it was more of a clearance than a backpass as he would have been more than able to hoof it. He won't make the same mistake again. Time to show his mettle though, and start coming for crosses. Teams are now targetting us with cross balls and high balls into the box - if Billy came out and punched a couple it would give his defence a bit more confidence in him, and possibly stop teams doing it so often.

McGinn gave O'Brien a bollocking at Falkirk's second goal too. That's two weeks in a row McGinn has given O'Brien a bollocking. I don't have an issue with McGinn being animated and vocal, I have an issue with our goalkeeper regularly giving him cause to.

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

McGinn gave O'Brien a bollocking at Falkirk's second goal too. That's two weeks in a row McGinn has given O'Brien a bollocking. I don't have an issue with McGinn being animated and vocal, I have an issue with our goalkeeper regularly giving him cause to.

It is annoying that the first 2 goals were avoidable . We get the foul and Micke**** dusnae score and O'Brien dusnae gather the passback , the outcome would have been totally different . It is good though that both our goals were good goals . .

As wee Anxious was fond of saying . ."goals change games. ."

On 23/04/2017 at 6:42 PM, Soctty said:

For someone so supposedly intelligent you're incredibly thick.

Again, ask a primary school kid.

For all your time explaining, you're still laughably wrong.

Keep going...

emoji16.png

Can I ask?

If there were only 15 teams in a knockout tournament and your team were given a bye to the quarterfinals would you have a 1 in 8 chance of winning?

Just asking? :unsure:

Can I ask?
If there were only 15 teams in a knockout tournament and your team were given a bye to the quarterfinals would you have a 1 in 8 chance of winning?
Just asking? :unsure:

From first glance, that would seem the obvious answer, which I sense you're going to tell me is wrong. It's not one in 7 is it?

[emoji39]

15 hours ago, pozbaird said:

The passback would have been understandable had O'brien been under any real pressure from the Utd forward. 

As it was though, he could have taken a touch and slipped the ball to Eckersley on his right. Unfortunately its one of those things. Young keepers make mistakes and Billy has made two in the last two weeks. I'd argue that he's also rescued points for us in matches this season so I'm a bit reluctant to give him pelters.

That's Steve McGinn's job and he's doing it very effectively.  

It's a weird one because O'Brien is pretty comfortable with the ball at his feet, he tends to put the ball down and kick it from the ground rather than punt so god knows what made him pick it up if he had any doubt in his mind that it could be a passback. Maybe he thought it was the Dundee Utd player who kicked it last.

Having watch the pass back more than once, i can see how the keeper thought it was from their player but if in doubt just clear it. Maybe a shout from some players might have helps. At the end of the day his error did cost us, and I hope he doesn't repeat the error on sat that he made the last time we played Raith.