St Mirren v Raith Rovers Championship 29/4/17

shull

29 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We would have settled for this at Christmas , the opportunity to beat Raith at home and move into a play off place , our team is playing well , we just need some of these refereeing decisions to even themselves out , looking forward to watching us bounce back next Saturday

I though the Ref against Dumbarton was one of the worst i'd ever seen , some of his decisions were puzzling to say the least.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Top places are settled so can see these teams taking aback seat until the play offs. That should mean bottom clubs picking up points so fully expect Hibs to lose to Rovers. That means we need to beat Rovers to keep ahead of Ayr which I fully expect.

Home and away cup final is not a bad way to end the season. Around Christmas I wrote a play off position would be success for St Mirren this season still think that will be the case going into the last two games. At least going to the football is exciting again some silly mistakes are happening however the overall effort from the team can not be faulted. 

It would be nice to get the three points on the board next week, even allowing for a Raith in midweek, 3 points against them next week will get us back into 8th and if Dundee Utd can do some business in the late game at Tannadice against Dumbarton, we could still go to Easter Road in a position where we're ahead.

All for nought if we don't win this Saturday though.

41 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

All we can do is beat raith and if possible hibs. If it isn't good enough to avoid ninth or we get poorer results and are relegated we can only reflect on the first half of the season doing it for us. Think we will finish ninth but confident about play offs

I agree. Finishing ninth has to be first aim. Got to get minimum a point against Raith and hope that Hibs beat Ayr then we can't be bottom. Don't want to be having to go to Easter Road requiring a point or more to get 9th.

If we get to play-off's I am more than confident that we will stay up. If we don't then we deserve 100% to go down.

Raith match will be like a cup tie. Hugely difficult match and vital for both sides. Our previous form is out the window, this is on the day and the Dumbarton performance won't do !

Edited by lenziebud

18 hours ago, norrie82 said:

I am not hinting that it isn't secure. But let's not overlook the fact that it will impact our future. It will be the lowest level we have played and only yesterday our chief executive said it would be a "disaster". I think you need to wake up mate I wasn't saying we'd go bust but this could shape our future. 

My wakefulness is not in doubt.  Being relegated to League 1 would be a massive blow financially but even more so to our prestige.  That said it doesn't have to be forever, no reason why we couldn't do a Livingston and come straight back up.  

13 hours ago, MarkL said:

Is this right

If

Hibs beat Raith midweek we are 1 point behind Raith

If saints beat Raith we go 2 clear of Raith

If Hibs win at Ayr we go 5 points ahead and can't finish bottom

Ayr effectively relegated due to goal difference

Raith v Ayr on last
Saints away to Hibs

Saints need a result to finish 8th as Raith will probably beat Ayr

Huge IFs

Not counted Dumbarton as they are safe imo

Not sure about Dumbarton being safe. If we could beat Raith and Dumbarton lost at Tannadice we'd be above Dumbarton on GD and needing to equal their last day result. 

What's the chances of the club offering reduced prices for this game? It's such an important game we really need as many saints fans there to back us as possible. Hopefully we can fill behind the goals with kids and maybe reduce walk up prices to a tenner or something. I know alot of season ticket holders have a moan that they're not getting these kind of deals but I think for a game like this we need to look at the bigger picture.

Edited by irvine_buddie

Just now, irvine_buddie said:

What's the chances of the club offering reduced prices for this game? It's such an important game we really need as many saints fans there to back us as possible. Hopefully we can fill behind the goals with kids and maybe reduce walk up prices to a tenner or something. I know alot of season ticket holders have a moan that they're not getting these kind of deals but I think for a game like this we need to look at the bigger picture.

I genuinely wouldn't care if the prices dropped to a quid. I reckon it's of top importance that as many seats as possible have bums on them and as many of those folk in those seats are as vocally supportive as possible. 

We've not needed a result this much in 20 years. That's how big Saturday is. Clubs like St Mirren can deal with 2nd tier football. Relegation from the premier league is one thing and to be expected at some point really. 3rd tier football, whilst it won't kill our club is absolutely unthinkable though and a slippery slope for several clubs that I'd hate to risk us being on, even for a season. 

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I genuinely wouldn't care if the prices dropped to a quid. I reckon it's of top importance that as many seats as possible have bums on them and as many of those folk in those seats are as vocally supportive as possible. 

We've not needed a result this much in 20 years. That's how big Saturday is. Clubs like St Mirren can deal with 2nd tier football. Relegation from the premier league is one thing and to be expected at some point really. 3rd tier football, whilst it won't kill our club is absolutely unthinkable though and a slippery slope for several clubs that I'd hate to risk us being on, even for a season. 

I agree, this game, and how important it is, will take care of itself with anyone who thinks about going will go.

I also agree about the possible effect this could have on the club and add this could see us struggling for many years IF we didn't bounce straight back up.

As I've said previously in another thread, we MUST avoid relegation. It would lead to loss of revenue, then loss of our best players, then, if we fail to get back up in one season, possibly to part-time football which would be disastrous for the club.

This is truly a crucial moment for our beloved club. If Jack Ross keeps us in the Championship, it's arguable that is as important an achievement for our future as the League Cup win of 2013 was for our history.

Let's get a huge crowd down to Greenhill Road on Saturday and get right behind Jack and the boys!

7 minutes ago, renfrew said:

This is a bigger game than any cup final that we have been in, but we really need to tighten up at the back. If they do that I am sure we can win.

Aye, considering our good run of form we have the 2nd worst defence in the league.

On the other hand we are 4th top Delete repeated word

Seems easy to see where our problems are.

29 minutes ago, renfrew said:

This is a bigger game than any cup final that we have been in, but we really need to tighten up at the back. If they do that I am sure we can win.

No it's not. 

Absolutely nowhere near the 1987 or 2013 Cup Final. 

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, considering our good run of form we have the 2nd worst defence in the league.

On the other hand we are 4th top Delete repeated word

Seems easy to see where our problems are.

Looking at our good run of form - top of the form table over the last 12 games - we have the best goal difference over that time, and are clear top scorers with 26 goals in that period. You're right to highlight the defence, because even in that period we have conceded 15 goals - only 5th best in the league, but better than Dundee Utd and Morton who are in the play offs.

Think Billy O'Brien has to dig deep and start coming for crosses. Even if he punches every one, it will be far better than the jittery way he has been dealing with them. Hate to criticise him, but he's started to go backwards a little. The last thing we need is Langfield back in goals for the crucial last two matches.