St Mirren v Raith Rovers Championship 29/4/17

shull

11 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Our best attendance this season was 4997 against Morton so think we'll have more than 5000 for this one, Raith should bring a half decent crowd since it's an equally huge game for them.

Reckon we've already got about 4,100 or so sold in including season tickets, and that doesn't count W5, W6 or the away support. i'd be shocked if we weren't comfortably over 5,000.

Great result for us last night  Another team has done us a favour, now its up to us to do ourselves one.

All signs point to comfortable home win.  Raith have just had a emotionally and physically tiring midweek away game less than 72 hours before this match, while our lads sat with their feet up.   They haven't won an away game since October, we haven't lost a home game since January.  We beat them in Paisley earlier in the season.

Still believe we're going to need at least 4 points from the last 2 games, 3 of them need to come here.

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Its better than that. Win on Saturday and we only need a draw at Hibs to avoid the playoffs.

4 points from safety.

Not strictly true...

If we beat Raith by 1 and they beat Ayr by seven, a draw with Hibs could leave us 9th - if Dumbarton pick up another point from their last two.

We need to beat Raith and match their result against Ayr to ensure top flight and fend off an unlikely last day Raith revival...

Ayr could also catch us on points, although an even bigger goal difference swing would be required there. (at least 16 in their last two)

Hibs did the business now it's our turn. We show the form we've consistently shown since Raith last time and we'll be fine. Make no mistake. This will be a battle but I'm hoping last night's sucker punch has floored them. Hoping for results to make the last game a party.

Edited by stlucifer

5 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Hibs did the business now it's our turn. We show the form we've consistently shown since Raith last time and we'll be fine. Make no mistake. This will be a battle but I'm hoping last night's sucker punch has floored them. Hoping for results to make the last game a party.

Like our sucker punch last Saturday? :blink:

They, like us, will be 100% up for this.

They actually played pretty well last night, although difficult to really gauge as it was an unknown Hibs team.

Still, all points to a cracker on Saturday.

Usual request, get off to a fast start & no dodgy refereeing please. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

At one stage this season Raith were 19 points ahead of us with a goal difference of 22 between the sides in their favour. What a turnaround.

It is so important for us to win on Saturday. I'll settle for 6-2 to Saints.

We were 19 behind Raith, 12 behind Dumbarton and 9 behind Ayr at that point. Incredible turnaround, but we have to finish the job.

7 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I'd imagine he's poor, as I can't recall a referee in our league who hasn't been.

In fairness, I can't bring any incident or performance immediately to mind, so that might suggest that he isn't the worst.

It's been a long time since I have been so nervous ahead of a game. If we manage to survive this will rank as one of the greatest achievements this club has seen. What a shame it would be if we just fell short given the miraculous turnaround and the togetherness between team and supporters. I'm still trying to wangle a flight   even although I'm working Sunday! We have now got two cup finals and we certainly have the players who can handle the big games. Come on the buddies we can do it!

Can we please not have any "aw naw, he always scores against us" if Skacel plays on Saturday? He scored plenty when he played for Hearts, but hasn't scored when he's played for Dundee Utd or Raith against us.

The negativity almost becomes self fulfilling. He's not the bogey man he used to be. 

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

In fairness, I can't bring any incident or performance immediately to mind, so that might suggest that he isn't the worst.

Aye, I suppose. It's just a weekly theme. A question of which team the ref gives least bad decisions against...

1 minute ago, Greenhill Road said:

What about Hardie emoji102.png

I don't think it does anyone any good for our support to be on noticeably on edge about certain players. Let the team get on with it and be confident in our players' ability to deal with things on the park.  

1 minute ago, Greenhill Road said:

What about Hardie emoji102.png

Yep. Hardie is a more than decent young striker at this level, and had he been given a run for us, I'm sure he'd have scored more than the 3 he did score in his 8 league starts for us. One that got away imo, probably needed a fresh start as was getting pelters already from sections of our support.

He is the one to watch.

39 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Yep. Hardie is a more than decent young striker at this level, and had he been given a run for us, I'm sure he'd have scored more than the 3 he did score in his 8 league starts for us. One that got away imo, probably needed a fresh start as was getting pelters already from sections of our support.

He is the one to watch.

He didn't make the Raith Rovers starting line up. Hardly the one that got away.

What a nail biting end to the season. If we beat Raith then we retake the initiative. If we lose everything including relegation may be out our hands if we draw the playoffs are almost a certainty and relegation is still possible.

Both teams go into this one after 3-2 defeats away to top clubs who snatched victory in the final minutes. A severe kick in the nuts to both teams who will feel aggrieved at coming away with nothing after a hard-fought performance.

The 2021 is not exactly a great place for us with only 4 wins all season but Raith have only won two away games. With 11 draws between us at respective home/away fixtures a draw is probably going to be the bookies favourite.

This will be a big test for both sets of players. Our defence and our keeper need to be up for it and we need to be much more streetwise than we have recently. Raith players will be putting themselves about and Ryan Hardie will be out to prove himself again.

Rumour has it Yogi Hughes knocked us back for our manager’s job and Jack Ross might have been secondish choice. It will be personal between them too. This game is massive for both teams, Yogi proved himself smarter than the average bear in our last encounter.

Whilst my heart says “Super Saints, get into them 5-0” That is just bravado. My head says this is going to be a tight, hard fought game with no guaranteed outcome.

It’s time for Jack Ross and the boys to show their mettle, dig in and fight for absolutely everything because the Hibs game is going to be a bastard too.

The boys better be up for it because I’m shitting myself.

Edited by East Lothian Saint