General Election 8th June

faraway saint

Are you insinuating that the self employed, like taxi drivers for example, may be using the system to avoid paying tax?
Shame on you Mr Nipper.
This will all be sorted by that increase in NI contributions for the self employed that was announced in the March budget...

.... and then scrapped.

4 hours ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Can I get a receipt please for tax deductible expense proformae. I assume you take debit cards.

All good taxi drivers take cards.:P

20170608_170832.jpg

4 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Are you insinuating that the self employed, like taxi drivers for example, may be using the system to avoid paying tax?
Shame on you Mr Nipper.
This will all be sorted by that increase in NI contributions for the self employed that was announced in the March budget...

No it won't.

The self employed will simply start using Limited Companies and pay themselves from dividends.

When will you guys learn that you will not get anywhere trying to punish the most successful people in our country? :lol:

I almost feel embarassed for you that you don't have the faintest idea how the real world works.

Edited by oaksoft

51 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No it won't.

The self employed will simply start using Limited Companies and pay themselves from dividends.

When will you guys learn that you will not get anywhere trying to punish the most successful people in our country? :lol:

I almost feel embarassed for you that you don't have the faintest idea how the real world works.

Not if they are doing work "in" or "connected to" public services, council or government works they won't. There is a massive drive within HMRC at the moment to combat "PSC's" or "single person Ltd Companies" who are only using them as vehicles to pay less Tax and/or NI and it will come in to the private sector too.

Guest TPAFKATS
No it won't.
When will you guys learn that you will not get anywhere trying to punish the most successful people in our country? [emoji38]

Woooooossshhhh

Just been and voted......Mhairi Black of course as I am not a f**king idiot.

Anyway I did notice that the Lib Dem candidate was one Eileen McCartin....anyone remember her?  She is the treacherous boot who tried to undermine the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co when said club were applying for planning permission to build a state of the art training complex at Ralston.

A story in the Express whereby a "jog Scotland" representative stood with said boot to complain that the glass and dog shit ridden grass was a huge loss to joggers (failing to mention that the "jog Scotland" representative was really a fellow lib dem candidate).

I regret not meeting her during the election camapign as I would have enjoyed the opportunity to regail a story of her dishonesty and absolute unfitfulness for office.  

Edited by TediousTom

I love watching Election night. I'm working tomorrow morning, but working from home in the afternoon which will help me get away with staying up, How long I stay up for will depend on the exit poll and how the results are looking as they start to come in.

This was the first time I was unsure about who I wanted to vote for. Ideally, I would have voted Greens if they were standing in my area. It became a toss between SNP and Labour. Ultimately went for SNP. I think would have voted Labour had it not been for them taking my vote as a vote against independence. The best thing Scottish Labour could have done was have an open policy on independence.

Ideal scenario is a hung parliament with Labour forming a minority government, with SNP holding on to most of their seats to help prop them up.

Ultimately, whoever gets in won't make much difference to me. But hoping for some twists and turns tonight.

2 hours ago, WeeBud said:

Not if they are doing work "in" or "connected to" public services, council or government works they won't. There is a massive drive within HMRC at the moment to combat "PSC's" or "single person Ltd Companies" who are only using them as vehicles to pay less Tax and/or NI and it will come in to the private sector too.

That is not quite true about public contracts.

Some public bodies are trying to simply blanket declare every contractor as a disguised employee but is not as easy as that.

This is against HMRC's own guidance and may well be illegal. Anyone with a contract for a specific piece of work, a fixed price contract, a right of substitution or a demonstrable lack of direction and control will be absolutely fine.

Don't be sure about them successfully introducing this into private industry either. They are waiting to see how this pans out.

Even if they do push this through, you may well find contractors simply banding together under one Limited Company roof and bypassing the "personal services part". Or more likely, agencies and clients will consider their own needs before the governments and finally agree to things like unfettered Right of Substitution. If they do that, HMRC are gubbed permanently.

Finally, remember that the courts have the final say, not public bodies. The government has around 20 years of experience of losing these "disguised employee" battles.

People will do whatever they need to do to avoid unreasonable levels of tax and NI. Always have done, always will do.

Edited by oaksoft

5 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I used to find them exceedingly boring but, in the last 15-20 years, I've stayed up for all the election results and find them fascinating, irrespective of the outcomes. Don't know if it's to do with how they are now presented or just a change in interests on my behalf.

Yup. Me too.

I'll be up all night watching it too.

If (big IF) that exit poll is correct wow just wow. Indyref 2 surely dead but nowhere near as dead as Theresa May. Stunning if true -surely it can't be, beyond most non Tories wildest dreams. This could be a dramatic night.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

That is not quite true about public contracts.

Some public bodies are trying to simply blanket declare every contractor as a disguised employee but is not as easy as that.

This is against HMRC's own guidance and may well be illegal. Anyone with a contract for a specific piece of work, a fixed price contract, a right of substitution or a demonstrable lack of direction and control will be absolutely fine.

Don't be sure about them successfully introducing this into private industry either. They are waiting to see how this pans out.

Even if they do push this through, you may well find contractors simply banding together under one Limited Company roof and bypassing the "personal services part". Or more likely, agencies and clients will consider their own needs before the governments and finally agree to things like unfettered Right of Substitution. If they do that, HMRC are gubbed permanently.

Finally, remember that the courts have the final say, not public bodies. The government has around 20 years of experience of losing these "disguised employee" battles.

People will do whatever they need to do to avoid unreasonable levels of tax and NI. Always have done, always will do.

I'd do a wee bit more Google searching and reading up if you think that is correct, alternatively sign up as a "bank Nurse" and try and get paid through your PSC. Then again have a read of MSC Legislation and work out how to "band" together under one Limited Company Roof and not be deemed to be a Composite Company.

1 hour ago, Tam M said:

I love watching Election night. I'm working tomorrow morning, but working from home in the afternoon which will help me get away with staying up, How long I stay up for will depend on the exit poll and how the results are looking as they start to come in.

This was the first time I was unsure about who I wanted to vote for. Ideally, I would have voted Greens if they were standing in my area. It became a toss between SNP and Labour. Ultimately went for SNP. I think would have voted Labour had it not been for them taking my vote as a vote against independence. The best thing Scottish Labour could have done was have an open policy on independence.

Ideal scenario is a hung parliament with Labour forming a minority government, with SNP holding on to most of their seats to help prop them up.

Ultimately, whoever gets in won't make much difference to me. But hoping for some twists and turns tonight.

Exit poll predicting just that,Tories 316 seats, Labour 288 but SNP predicted for 34 seats, quite a big loss.

Exit poll predicting just that,Tories 316 seats, Labour 288 but SNP predicted for 34 seats, quite a big loss.

Good job I stuck a few quid on Corbyn PM and no party majority then!

Might even need to crack open the Malt at some point.

Guest TPAFKATS
Got me on ignore, yer arse. [emoji38]
Congratulations on biting.

Mibees some daftie could explain to oaksoft, our resident 'genius', how the ignore function works.

Guest TPAFKATS

Genuinely can't see where the SNP are losing 22 seats. Read that the bbc exit poll may only have included 14 polling stations in Scotland.

Time will tell.