General Election 8th June

faraway saint

8 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Aye pretty much-

U did however miss out- that Labour who under Corbyn, who very few Lab MPs back, but lots of party members do, also are the reason we had Brexit as the vast majority of key Labour areas sided with UKIP, and that London who we ridicule in Scotland actually backed Scotlands stance....... In fact 3 times as many Londoners voted to stay in the EU than Scots

I can see Richard Curtis and Ben Elton already planning Blackadder 5 on this

Corbyn came on the scene claiming to be a man of principle and justice. All pro the people and anti war. A man who would challenge the wrongs of the warmonger and stand up for the weak. I wasn't that keen on some of his ideas but I thought he was at least a man of principle until he had a chance to prove himself and bottled it to save himself. All his anti war rhetoric proved meaningless when he allowed a free vote on bombing Syria to pacify his rebels.

It turned out the man was a cowardly buffoon.

:withstupid

Can't trust Politicians

Edited by East Lothian Saint

12 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Just a thought - if the Lab/Lib-Dem parties were to stand down candidates in Tory seats down south could the gamble backfire on the Tories? 

But the Tories will gain when Lab/Lib Dem stand down in Scotland to give them a free run at the SNP.:rolleyes: 

Guest TPAFKATS

Although the Tories have a 20% lead in the polls, this doesn't necessarily translate to a white wash in June, esp with the FPTP system that we have in Westminster. There's a lot of safe labour seats that will still be labour especially if a UKIP protest vote is now null and void.

Of course, the election might make the current tory election fraud allegations politically irrelevant.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Looking forward to them knocking my door looking for votes... 'One question. Are you a knobcheese?'

:P

Assuming you take a pro EU stance you could always say "That's a Gouda wan !"

26 minutes ago, scottd said:

But the Tories will gain when Lab/Lib Dem stand down in Scotland to give them a free run at the SNP.:rolleyes: 

In practice it would be difficult for the SNP to do deals with the Lab & Lib-Dem parties as long as they are opposed to an IndyRef2 but they could argue that a Westminster government elected to reverse the EuroReferendum result would take us back to Alex Salmond's "once in a generation" situation holds sway. The likely alternative to this is the Tories hovering up the majority of UKIP voters and increasing their majority.* In these days when Social Media holds sway there's no need for the impetus for a Lab/Lib-Dem pact to come from the top.

* Having said all I've said it's not a foregone conclusion that the Tories will romp it as TPAFKATS says above.........

Labour's opinion poll rating is at its lowest since 1983 but that doesn't mean it's on course to lose most of its seats.

A study published by the Fabian Society has looked at how many seats Labour could lose at a general election if it performed in line with recent opinion polls which have put it as low as 24%, compared with 31% at the general election. The analysis suggested a loss of around 40 seats compared with 2015, when it won 232.

The calculation assumes a uniform swing across all constituencies in Britain.

If the study had included the most up-to-date polls, the figure would have been a little bit lower - perhaps around 25 to 30 Labour losses.

Either way, one interesting question is why the number isn't higher.

Len McCluskey, head of the Unite union and one of Jeremy Corbyn's strongest backers, says the current performance is "awful".

Yet the figures suggest that despite the current low standing, a large majority of Labour MPs would be re-elected.

That's because a lot of them are in safe seats.

Safely does it

An interesting feature of recent British electoral politics is that the number of safe seats has increased whereas the number of marginal seats has fallen.

It's interesting to compare the 2015 election with 1992, the last time the Conservatives won an overall majority.

In 1992, 169 of the seats in Great Britain were won with majorities under 10% - a common definition of a marginal seat. In 2015, that number was just 119. And only 49 of those were won by Labour.

On the other hand, the number of very safe seats has increased. In 1992, there were 155 seats won with majorities above 30%. In 2015, there were 223.

The electorate has become more geographically polarised.

A further interesting quirk of British elections is that the extremely safe seats in the country tend to be Labour seats, even when it loses the national vote.

The 11 safest seats in the country are all Labour - as are 17 of the safest 20.

That doesn't mean those constituencies could never elect an MP from another party. In 2015, Labour lost some very safe seats in Scotland as a result of the SNP landslide. But it does mean that for many Labour MPs, even the current polls shouldn't cause them too many worries about their own futures.

And I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if it all blows up in May's face. Love it!

Let's face it folks this is all about Brexit.

We are told we can't stay in the single market and keep control of our borders. Brexiteers want a hard Brexit and remainers want to sabotage Brexit and Prevent the Tories delivering what were the two main brexit drivers.

Stopping Brussels interference and keeping foreigners out.

May has called the election to give her more clout in the Brexit negotiations.

Assuming Brexit can't be reversed why should we give hope to any party who wants to assist Europe in giving us a shitty deal.

If its really about National interest it leaves us all between a rock and a hard place.

De-railing the tories will just give Europe more control over our future will it not?

enlighten me!

35 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Let's face it folks this is all about Brexit.

We are told we can't stay in the single market and keep control of our borders. Brexiteers want a hard Brexit and remainers want to sabotage Brexit and Prevent the Tories delivering what were the two main brexit drivers.

Stopping Brussels interference and keeping foreigners out.

May has called the election to give her more clout in the Brexit negotiations.

Assuming Brexit can't be reversed why should we give hope to any party who wants to assist Europe in giving us a shitty deal.

If its really about National interest it leaves us all between a rock and a hard place.

De-railing the tories will just give Europe more control over our future will it not?

enlighten me!

The two main "Brexit drivers" didn't impress a majority this side o the border. That and the sudden realisation from the "WTF have I done" brigade down south and this might end up with a bloody nose with a wee resurgence of the Lib Dems in what was their South West strongholds. We can but hope.

One thing is certain. I wouldn't vote for any of the 3 unionist parties as they basically lied to the Scottish people at the tail end of the indiref when they colluded with that statement.

SNP all the way. Independence then yet another election. Ma heed's spinnin'

Trawling through this topic I find it hard to believe that anyone in Scotland thinks  the Tories are doing a sound job.  IF the Job is to destroy the UK Economy  then they are  doing an excellent job.  If  it is to protect the NHS, welfare state and education then they really have f**ked up.  If it is to look after the already monied classes and sell everything not nailed down  they have done a stupendous job.

Just over 6 months ago, the British public were allowed to have a vote to decide whether or we would like to remain part of the European Union, or whether we would like to regain our sovereignty by voting to leave the EU.

If we voted to remain, nothing would change and things would stay as they were, (which in my opinion wasn’t brilliant).  However, David Cameron would have seen off that pesky UKIP threat and united the  Conservative party behind him, then killing off the European problem for the Tories and cementing the conservatives in power for ever more.  As an added benefit however he would have been lorded and worshipped forever more.

Voting to leave wasn’t contemplated, so accordingly no planning was done.

If we voted to leave

·         £350million pounds a  week on the NHS

·         Trade deals agreed

·         Immigration curbed

·         Sovereignty restored

·         Free ice cream and jelly for all.

We voted to leave and got

·         A new Prime Minister and Cabinet

·         A Tautology (Brexit means Brexit) means?

·         Left open to currency speculators

·         Told to sort out the terms of leaving for ourselves – and do it soon!

So the options appear to be:

Soft Brexit – The rest of Europe will still talk and trade with us, but Freedom of movement is still a requirement.  We still need to ,make a contribution to the coffers, but have no say on anything, so no great leap forward.   If anything possibly slightly worse than before.

Hard Brexit  - We no longer have anything to do with Europe.

Currently we appear to have selected option 3 –

You’ll hear from my lawyer and don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out. Clear your clothes off the lawn they’re next to your  CD’s. From my interested amateur position and to use a technical term it’s all seems a bit FUBAR.

You never know  - maybe they’ll sort it out and it will all be wonderful.  Or we could have Kaiser May forever more.

3 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

The two main "Brexit drivers" didn't impress a majority this side o the border. That and the sudden realisation from the "WTF have I done" brigade down south and this might end up with a bloody nose with a wee resurgence of the Lib Dems in what was their South West strongholds. We can but hope.

One thing is certain. I wouldn't vote for any of the 3 unionist parties as they basically lied to the Scottish people at the tail end of the indiref when they colluded with that statement.

SNP all the way. Independence then yet another election. Ma heed's spinnin'

Sadly though if the Tories get a Bloody nose it weakens the UK position re Brexit negotiations. It would no doubt also lead to another independence referendum. The French and German Elections also cast doubt on Europe's future never mind ours. If Europe falls apart we could be better off out of it. If the UK also falls apart does that leave us in the Billy "no mates" category. 

Feck it not even Jack Ross could get us out of this mess

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

In practice it would be difficult for the SNP to do deals with the Lab & Lib-Dem parties as long as they are opposed to an IndyRef2 but they could argue that a Westminster government elected to reverse the EuroReferendum result would take us back to Alex Salmond's "once in a generation" situation holds sway. The likely alternative to this is the Tories hovering up the majority of UKIP voters and increasing their majority.* In these days when Social Media holds sway there's no need for the impetus for a Lab/Lib-Dem pact to come from the top.

* Having said all I've said it's not a foregone conclusion that the Tories will romp it as TPAFKATS says above.........

And I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if it all blows up in May's face. Love it!

I was meaning that the Lib Dems and Labour would side with the Tories to scupper the SNP rather than the other way about.

Aye pretty much-

U did however miss out- that Labour who under Corbyn, who very few Lab MPs back, but lots of party members do, also are the reason we had Brexit as the vast majority of key Labour areas sided with UKIP, and that London who we ridicule in Scotland actually backed Scotlands stance....... In fact 3 times as many Londoners voted to stay in the EU than Scots
I can see Richard Curtis and Ben Elton already planning Blackadder 5 on this

It's not London we ridicule, DJ, it's Westminster, and hypocrisy like this from May is precisely why we ridicule it.

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

The result of the election is without doubt. In England, it will be pretty much wall-to-wall Tory blue. In Scotland, it will be pretty much wall-to-wall SNP yellow.... however, my gut tells me Sturgeon and the SNP are hacking off a percentage of those who voted 'yes' the last time, who want the SNP to crack on with governing the country, and to shut the fcuk up about independence at this juncture. This juncture being uncertainty over Brexit, over what that cnut Trump might do, and where the EU as an entity is heading. 

The only really interesting thing will be to see if the SNP pissing-off 'casual' pro-independence voters during Indy1 translates into the SNP losing votes to the other parties up here.

Either way, in my area, if the Tories put up Timothy Piggot-Chinless - who needs Sat Nav to find out where Cumbernauld is, then they can fcuk off. If the SNP put up Mhari Black's 15 year old wee sister who runs around shouting for Indy2, 3, and 4 (until they fcuking win one), then they can fcuk off. If Labour put up a beer-bellied, red-nosed alcoholic with Arthur Scargill hair, then they can fcuk off. If the Lib Dems put up an ex-vicar who wants to suck Teresa May's boaby (she surely has one), then they can fcuk off. If the Greens put up a vegetarian weirdo like Drew, then they can fcuk off.

Going to be a tough fight for my vote. I want them all to basically just fcuk off.

Aside from the Tories, none of these parties asked for this election, so I hope you don't let your (understandably) jaded attitude sway you against exercising your right to vote.

In Scotland, this election will be a proxy independence referendum. Like it or not, that's the reality.

For me, the very concept of a further 10 years or so of a government who have given us the rape clause, and benefits cuts for bereaved families leaves me feeling physically sick. That's the tip of an abhorrent iceberg, incidentally.

There is a great deal at stake, here. I hope folks don't lose sight of that.

36 minutes ago, Drew said:

Aside from the Tories, none of these parties asked for this election, so I hope you don't let your (understandably) jaded attitude sway you against exercising your right to vote.

In Scotland, this election will be a proxy independence referendum. Like it or not, that's the reality.

For me, the very concept of a further 10 years or so of a government who have given us the rape clause, and benefits cuts for bereaved families leaves me feeling physically sick. That's the tip of an abhorrent iceberg, incidentally.

Self delete.

Edited by faraway saint

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

No, I will vote. I always do. As I said though, all I can be responsible for is my own X in the box, so will vote based on my perception of the ability / personality / common sense of each individual candidate standing in my particular area. I.E. If you're a blatant knobcheese, I'm not voting for you, no matter the colour of yer' rosette.

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

No, I will vote. I always do. As I said though, all I can be responsible for is my own X in the box, so will vote based on my perception of the ability / personality / common sense of each individual candidate standing in my particular area. I.E. If you're a blatant knobcheese, I'm not voting for you, no matter the colour of yer' rosette.

Not all vegetarians are blatant knobcheeses like me.