Hibernian v St Mirren Championship 6/5/17

shull

Who celebrates finishing 7th in a league of 10? Not St Mirren and nor should we!

What we celebrated at full time today was so much more than a point. So much more than finishing seventh having been bottom for the vast majority of the season.

What we celebrated was the preservation of history in a Lazarus style rise from the dead.

Truth be told, had we ambled through the season in a humdrum fashion and finished seventh this season, most fans would have been venting displeasure at best.

Instead, almost 2,000 of us stood shoulder to shoulder when not hugging one another, applauding a set of players who gave their all for the cause.

Credit to the Hibs fans at this point. This was THEIR party, but for a few moments, they respectfully allowed us to gatecrash it.

St Mirren FC is 140 years old.
In 140 years, Saints have NEVER played outwith the top two divisions of Scottish football.

I have supported Saints for around 40 years... Almost a third of the clubs existance! I think that entitles me to be passionate about them.

I have seen more lows than highs, more misery than celebrations... But when we DO celebrate, us Buddies know how to savour the moment... We have usually waited decades for it, suffering in the meantime.

Right up until the final whistle today, one more goal by Hibs and Saints would have faced a relegation play-off.

Worse still... Against our Manager Jack Ross' last team Alloa, currently managed by cup winning captain and Saints legend Jim Goodwin.

That thought alone was a painful one.

So... When the whistle blew, we were partially celebrating a hard earned point away to a very good championship winning side in Hibs, but we were celebrating so much more.

Relegation COULD have meant people losing jobs. COULD have resulted in us going part-time and spending unknown years in the doldrums.

We were celebrating the preservation of 140 years history in an escape act that Houdini himself would have admired.

We were letting the players know that we truly appreciated their efforts and know they gave their all.

We were letting them know that for 95 minutes today we were going into every challenge with them and were willing them over one final hurdle.

In a team filled with teenagers and youngsters, the inhumane pressure they have faced up to and overcome is testimony to the leadership of Jack Ross and his inspirational Captain Marvel Stephen McGinn.

We were celebrating their coming of age and the potential birth of something that hasn't excited me as much since a young manager called Alex Ferguson got me addicted in the first place!

No. Nobody should celebrate finishing seventh in a league of ten.

I hope we never do!

Slainte.

Feck... I must have been hacked!

No way was I pissed enough to post something that elokwent!

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

He hasn't.  Any chance to put the boot in to us on the radio he takes.

He was on the Off the Ball last week and said he "couldnt stomach giving team of the day to either Celtic or St Mirren".  I know that particular comment was made in jest, but it is just one of many.  Neither of them have ever shown the good grace to congraulate Ross for turning it round or say a nice word about any of the players.

I know they would be best ignored.  Its difficult when the BBC seems to be contractually obliged to have one of the useless cunts on the radio every single week!

In fairness, I did say 'marginally'. Its all relative. Pair of plums, best consigned to history:)

I also wish they would drop the 6 games chat.  There were plenty of cup games at the start of the season too, and scraping past the likes of Albion Rovers, being hammered by Hamilton Accies and not being able to compete against Championship teams in the league was all more than enough evidence that they had created the worst St Mirren team in living memory.  They had to go.  We should really be trying to recover their wages due to gross negligence.  They would both do well to keep their mouth more firmly shut in the future.

To be fair the Brothers Grimm they'd come up with the astute scheme to treat the League Cup group games as friendlies.

Who cares about Rae and Farrell now? If they want to bitterly snipe from the sidelines then fair enough. You can't really downplay how brilliant a job Ross has done, so they are just making fools of themselves. Maybe we would have been able to plod along with those two, but I very much doubt we'd have seen guys like McGinn, Smith, Stelios, Davies or O'Brien at the club.

Rory Loy might have fitted with Rae's signing policy though...

2 hours ago, renfrew said:

Webster not looking very happy :rolleyes: 

To be fair, I think that's just Webster's personality you're seeing there. He doesn't seem to get too up down about anything.

In the Ayr game, when El Alagui was in a huff and had been putting it about, Webster came off the bench, kicked him up in the air and then proceeded troll the f*ck out of him with verbals, off the ball, for the remainder of the game.

And it was all done with that exact same facial expression that you see in the pictures.:lol:

Sunshine on Leith

Only just recovered from yesterday. What a day. Started off with a tourist pint in Malones. Someone said in an earlier post he couldn’t understand why so many Buds were milling about Waverly station when there were pubs close by. Good Point.

The Cask and Barrel was the second port of Call our Band of Buds joined the rest of the B+W army who had congregated at the HIBS end of the bar. Any Hibs fans had to sit in the Hearts section. Possibly too many cask ales here. No singing allowed or even aloud though. We got a row but more than a few singing Buds left for ER in good spirits.

First half was OK. Didn’t think anything too scary happened around our goal. Our support was immense and our singing voices were better co-ordinated than our more numerous hosts. I think all that practise we’ve had at all our must win games must have paid off.

Few horrible minutes of worry in the second half. Hibs must have made some Zillion passes to set Holt up for their goal but thankfully we had the Power and the Rory to lead us from relegation and the Saints came well and Truly marching in.

The After-match celebrations were Brill but the Hibees couldn’t co-ordinate their singing and I wasn’t that impressed with Sunshine on Leith. Middleton’s pub was heaving after the match. It was like drinking in Paisley town centre. Buds packed in and in very good singing voice. Victory/survival/start of a new Era or just pure relief the Buds were bawling out the full Saints repertoire. We tried to get a Decent sunshine on Leith Going but the handful of Hibees in the bar didn’t know the words. Disappointing.

So out we went into Edinburgh. Quite literally Sunshine on Leith was shining everywhere and the amount of Buds we found at Street tables enjoying a beer was quite overwhelming. I reacquainted myself with Buds I’d met at various locations across the country at, on route to or returning from away games. These likeminded buds who like me, scoot about the country in trains enjoying the odd beer with fellow football fans were all in good voice. A true band of Buddies united by black and white apparel were having a night to remember in the capital.

Over the course of the evening we got talking to a few hibees who invited us to a wee restaurant on Leith Walk for a curry. It was a pokey wee place where you took your own drink but armed with suitable supplies we rocked the place. The food was Brill and after a serious conversation with two swedes about whether Larson or Ibrahimović was the greatest ever Swedish player we all got down to a serious rendition of Sunshine on Leith. Even the swedes joined in. “OH when the Saints” was the follow up and all too soon we said good bye to our new found Hibee and Swedish friends. Not sure if the restaurant is normally as noisy but no problems with singing in there.

I left my Buds who were travelling back to Paisley and went in search of the North Berwick train. Whilst I was standing looking at the departures board two guys who were a bit unsteady on their feet bumped into me. I turned to find Black and white staggering figures who were holding each other up and noting my similar dress sense Shouted “Hey mate you’re a Bud.”

The black and White army bond is truly a magnificent thing and Saturday was one of the reasons I love being a Football Fan. Being a Bud is special and I’m proud to be a Buddy.

This love will last for ever. Come on ye saints.

Edited by East Lothian Saint