Playoffs

11 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Here's hoping this thread is redundant at 5:00pm next Saturday.

It was looking good three hours ago and now it's looking bleak again. We simply need to beat Hibs and that's all. If we get beat and Raith beat Ayr then it's most likely we face Goodwin and that will be a massive test of minds.

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

It was looking good three hours ago and now it's looking bleak again. We simply need to beat Hibs and that's all. If we get beat and Raith beat Ayr then it's most likely we face Goodwin and that will be a massive test of minds.

What's your view on a draw with Hibs?

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Ronnie said:

St Mirren will play 4th place team Away on Wednesday 10th May then return at Home on Saturday 13th May.

Winner of this tie will play winner of 2nd v 3rd (if that's us)

We will again be away on Wednesday 17th May with return at home Sunday 21st live on BBC ALBA.

Well. Things are tight. This now looks like a prediction rather than,as intended, an example. Then again ..... some finish to a topsy, turvy season, one way or another. 

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

What's your view on a draw with Hibs?

My view on a draw is that first you should never play for a draw as it's too dangerous. We couldn't anyway as we can't rely on Ayr so we must win. Plus Hibs will be going for it as they won't be letting up at all. They will want to send their fans away on a high and also fringe players will want to prove themselves so these end of season games are often ones that players want to win. I think Raith will beat Ayr because Ayr are away now  and Raith have hit good form. They will see all this in reverse ie Hibs beating us and they have the chance to escape. So I stick by my original post ie we MUST beat Hibs.

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

My view on a draw is that first you should never play for a draw as it's too dangerous. We couldn't anyway as we can't rely on Ayr so we must win. Plus Hibs will be going for it as they won't be letting up at all. They will want to send their fans away on a high and also fringe players will want to prove themselves so these end of season games are often ones that players want to win. I think Raith will beat Ayr because Ayr are away now  and Raith have hit good form. They will see all this in reverse ie Hibs beating us and they have the chance to escape. So I stick by my original post ie we MUST beat Hibs.

No, we really don't need to beat Hibs.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

No, we really don't need to beat Hibs.

Can you explain why ?  I guarantee Raith will beat Ayr so that puts them above us if we get beat. Certainly if we draw then that will be good enough but we shouldn't rely on a draw. Let's say it's 1-1 with 20 mins to go ........how would you play it out ? 

Just now, Sandy said:

Can you explain why ?  I guarantee Raith will beat Ayr so that puts them above us if we get beat. Certainly if we draw then that will be good enough but we shouldn't rely on a draw. Let's say it's 1-1 with 20 mins to go ........how would you play it out ? 

You said 'we simply need to beat Hibs and that's all'. No it isn't, a draw will do us. It appeared to me you thought we required a win. In that post you never mentioned anything that indicated you meant we shouldn't go there and attempt to play for a draw.

This team isn't built to go to Easter Road and play for the draw. We'll go there with confidence and have a right go at them. If that's good enough to pick up 3 points or maybe even just 1 point it'll be job done.

No guarantees that Raith will beat Ayr as they were abject today so might be able to lose and still finish 8th, which would be remarkable considering where we were a few short months ago.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

You said 'we simply need to beat Hibs and that's all'. No it isn't, a draw will do us. It appeared to me you thought we required a win. In that post you never mentioned anything that indicated you meant we shouldn't go there and attempt to play for a draw.

Maybe I never made myself clear. I still play football and I can tell you any team plays to win. Ask Jack Ross and he will tell you that next Saturday he will be going to Hibs to win. Yes if we do scrape a draw then that is good enough but we should not play for a draw as time and again the other team will score when you don't have enough time left to sort it. Then if Hibs score in the last minute when it's too late we go back into the dressing room and find that Raith have won 4-0 .

In the event that all the knicker setters get their dream sequence of events and we do it the "St Mirren way" and end up in the play offs- who do we fear over two legs?

absolutley bloody no- one!!

this team is playing with a belief- a confidence and a swagger !

in fact if we do end up in the playoffs it would be a joy to watch some more fantastic football.

I think we'll beat Hibs. I also don't think it's a given that Raith will beat Ayr either. Technically Ayr can still catch Raith if they win 6-0. Highly improbable, but nonetheless possible. We just thumped Raith so they're hardly going to be brimming with confidence and Ayr will be fighting for their lives while it's still possible.

12 hours ago, Sandy said:

How did you do at your o'level arithmetic or is this exam in future?

Ayr could field a weakened team next week. McCall might get them to lie down because he's pals with Hughes. Lennon might be annoyed after Saints fans whining about the weakened team against Raith and have them all fired up. John McGinn might tell them all to ignore that and let us have a point to keep his brother happy and to reward us for drawing with Falkirk so they could win the league.

No point torturing ourselves over what might or might not happen - especially when there's still the best part of a week before the game. Personally I'd like to see us and Hibs mark the 35th anniversary of the 1982 World Cup by recreating West Germany v Austria B)

3 minutes ago, Big Jake said:

Nobody will be doing any favours. These guys are professional and will want to win. Remember back to Fir Park in our relegation fight back to win 2-3. Stephen McGinn tried for Motherwell that day and even set up their first goal emoji53.png

McGarry? :huh:

We hammered Ayr, then Ayr got a point off Dundee United. Raith gave us a bit of a doing at their place, then we returned the favour. We beat Dundee United at our place, then they struck late to beat us last week. Dumbarton just got a point away to Dundee United. Morton were flying - then the arse fell out their season. We gubbed Morton. Hibs made ten changes and beat Raith - who apparently played well and would be no pushovers for us - we pushed them over 5-zip. Hibs fielded something of a hybrid 'cup semi / reserves' line up yesterday and trounced Ayr.

In short, anyone who thinks they know what is going to happen next weekend is a liar. :P

On 4/24/2017 at 5:02 PM, Ronnie said:

St Mirren will play 4th place team Away on Wednesday 10th May then return at Home on Saturday 13th May.

Winner of this tie will play winner of 2nd v 3rd (if that's us)

We will again be away on Wednesday 17th May with return at home Sunday 21st live on BBC ALBA.

Thanks Ronnie. If - If we are involved then it could be at Airdrie, Brechin or Methil on 10 May and then home on 13 May

Still lots to play for in both the Championship and 1st Division.

League 1 Table

HOME       AWAY      
  TEAM P   W D L F A   W D L F A   GD PTS
1   Livingston 35   13 1 4 43 16   12 2 3 35 16   46 78
2   Alloa Athletic 35   8 6 4 35 21   9 5 3 32 20   26 62
3 Up Airdrieonians 35   7 2 8 24 30   8 2 8 34 34   -6 49
4   Brechin City 35   8 3 7 22 20   7 1 9 20 28   -6 49
5 Down East Fife 35   7 5 6 22 20   5 5 7 18 22   -2 46
6   Queen's Park 35   7 4 7 18 21   5 6 6 17 27   -13 46
7   Albion Rovers 35   6 4 7 21 20   5 5 8 20 26   -5 42
8   Stranraer 35   7 3 7 27 24   4 5 9 17 25   -5 41
9 Up Stenhousemuir 35   5 3 9 22 35   6 2 10 22 28   -19 38