Playoffs

Amazing how this nightmare has been turned around and yet we still have woken up from it

I bemoaned the fact with 4 points after 14 games there was no  pro senior team in Europe that was worse than us... We were worse than rotten, we were embarrassing, dejected, and naïve...

21 games later and 34 points later.... W 9 D 7 L 5 to be precise, that's some turn around................ however since March we have been in large , a class act. We are not just winning we are winning well, not seen this since 2000 when we blew away teams, 8-0, 5-0 and 4-1..... Clydebank, Airdrie and Crappielow respectively  ....

With Jack and James we have a young dynamic team, with McGinn, Mallan, McGuiness, Mackenzie and Morgan we have top 6 quality, add Stelios , Loy and Smith who are fighting for the jersey.... a also good players, WE MIGHT LOSE SOME, however I am confident J&J can find others

We all want a happy ending, but really what has been shown since Jan is a happy beginning

Saints in fact have already turned the corner, as has the BOD and most importantly the awesome fans. The support given to the team has been nothing but spectacular.

I don't know stats but surely our average attendance is the highest for years in 2017, and that's without , in the main, large away supports...........

What I do hope, is that we tended to sack or replace success in our past. Going way back.....

This time please, whatever happens Sat, it may well define our season, either ending or prolonging, but it will not define St Mirren.

I honestly believe, given time and a bit of money that if we keep Jack and James for 3 years, we will be a top 6 club, and that's always been the goal, with an occasional Cup win thrown in.

COYS

51 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Mind the last day of last season? St Mirren 2 Rangers 2, with a 92nd minute equaliser from Morgan. A meaningless game against the already crowned champions for us back then, but wow what a feeling to get that last minute goal! 

And the home game before that we scudded Morton 3-1 with Clarkson, Shankland and Gallagher all starting.  It was pretty much that same team that got us isolated at the bottom this season.

Funny old game.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

And the home game before that we scudded Morton 3-1 with Clarkson, Shankland and Gallagher all starting.  It was pretty much that same team that got us isolated at the bottom this season.

Funny old game.

Of course the game got even "funnier" with bizarre management methods employed. .

9 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Of course the game got even "funnier" with bizarre management methods employed. .

Quite.  How a team who managed to display promotion playoff form between Jan and May 16 and then such hopeless form between August and January of the same year can only be down to management.

The team who started against Morton on the first day of this season had only had one player in it who didn't start a game for us the previous season.  Hutton, now he was shite but the complete collapse in form that sees us in this mess can't all be down to him :lol: 

We will secure our championship status on Saturday by getting  a result against Hibs. Too many squeaky bums on this thread Get through to Easter Road and make as much noise as possible. Bring out the flags and anything else so our players hear and see us we can do this look at it as a cup final. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

We will secure our championship status on Saturday by getting  a result against Hibs. Too many squeaky bums on this thread Get through to Easter Road and make as much noise as possible. Bring out the flags and anything else so our players here and see us we can do this look at it as a cup final. 

We want to encourage them, not scare them. :booty 

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

I bemoaned the fact with 4 points after 14 games there was no  pro senior team in Europe that was worse than us... We were worse than rotten, we were embarrassing, dejected, and naïve...

In comparison, over the last 10 games and 6 games we're up with the top scorers in the UK..

Goals scored in the last 10 games

Celtic - 27

St Mirren - 25

Tottenham- 25

Sheffield Utd - 25

Goals scored in the last 6 games

St Mirren - 20

Celtic - 18

Livingstone - 17

Tottenham - 17

Edited by irvine_buddie

As long as Season Tickets remain valid, I don't mind a couple more home matches. 

Play offs are not covered by season tickets and gate prices are set by the SPFL with gates split amongst competing teams.

43 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'm very much in the "get it done on Saturday camp", like I've said elsewhere the play-offs just leave us in limbo unable to prepare for next season for another fortnight.

And the very real chance of being relegated to the third tier for the first time in our 140 year history...

42 minutes ago, insaintee said:

I expect draws in both games.

Poor as Ayr are, they are no worse than Raith. We've seen that Raith have no bottle and are a "house divided," 

I don't think we have quite enough quality to and win at Easter road. 

The one result I don't see is Raith and Ayr drawing. I can see a collapse by one or the other. Hopefully an early Ayr onslaught and I will be supporting the honest men to go nap+ without reply.

I expect draws in both games.
Poor as Ayr are, they are no worse than Raith. We've seen that Raith have no bottle and are a "house divided," 
I don't think we have quite enough quality to and win at Easter road. 

We won earlier in the season at Easter Road. [emoji12]

And the very real chance of being relegated to the third tier for the first time in our 140 year history...

Just don't see that happening. The way we've performed this last few months will, IMO, see us get the point we need on Saturday.

However, if the fates conspire against us then I'm absolutely certain that we'd prevail against two League One teams over two legs to secure our Championship status.

I'm basing that on form, pure ability and the fact that they've proven they have the bottle by winning "must win game" after "must win game" in recent weeks.

I'd prefer to do it Saturday but have no fear of the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Just don't see that happening. The way we've performed this last few months will, IMO, see us get the point we need on Saturday.

However, if the fates conspire against us then I'm absolutely certain that we'd prevail against two League One teams over two legs to secure our Championship status.

I'm basing that on form, pure ability and the fact that they've proven they have the bottle by winning "must win game" after "must win game" in recent weeks.

I'd prefer to do it Saturday but have no fear of the playoffs.

Aye, we've played well but this isn't the case.

Last 6 games won 3, drew 2 lost 1.

How far are you going on "recent weeks"?

I suppose you can use the results to support any view you like but the games against Ayr (twice) and Raith were of the "must win" variety and also the Hibs game a couple of months back when Ayr had beaten "no goalie Raith" the night before to stretch the lead again. You could argue that Dumbarton at home was must win and we didn't but we played well that day and just didn't carry the luck around the box.

I don't think their bottle can be questioned and he quality's been there for all to see recently. I don't think anyone at Falkirk or Tannadice would say we didn't deserve more from both games but ultimately we're only behind the Champions over the last 10 games and top of the pile over 12 games.

As I said. Pick up a point on Sat and job done. If it has to be playoffs then I'm confident they won't let us down.

6 minutes ago, DLBud said:

I suppose you can use the results to support any view you like but the games against Ayr (twice) and Raith were of the "must win" variety and also the Hibs game a couple of months back when Ayr had beaten "no goalie Raith" the night before to stretch the lead again. You could argue that Dumbarton at home was must win and we didn't but we played well that day and just didn't carry the luck around the box.

I don't think their bottle can be questioned and he quality's been there for all to see recently. I don't think anyone at Falkirk or Tannadice would say we didn't deserve more from both games but ultimately we're only behind the Champions over the last 10 games and top of the pile over 12 games.

As I said. Pick up a point on Sat and job done. If it has to be playoffs then I'm confident they won't let us down.

Ach, aye, I suppose, if you like.

You said "recent weeks", suppose it's how you see beating Ayr on 25th February as recent.

We also lost to Raith on 8th March?

Disnae matter, we are where we are, in with a shout, in our own hands and the real must get something" game is almost here.

Will we get a point on Saturday, feck knows but I'd think we can handle the play offs so staying in this diddy league is looking a decent bet.