Saints Poll

DougJamie

Would be interesting to know some of the ages of our regular posters and when, why they started following the MIGHTY Saints, with all the GE stuff Polls are good, however inaccurate

Ok I will start it off.

54 in June, supported Saints since I was 12, my Grandpa was Paisley man, Coats worker and Saints daft , He was at 1926 Cup Final, said Paisley was empty that day

Edited by DougJamie

58 years , old man took me to Love Street from don't know what age however was put into St Mirren juniors supporters aged 7 years at a time when there were no motorways in Scotland. Making journey's to places like Kirkcaldy was at 10.30am from Love Street 2 double decker buses in these days full of kids a magical time I may add. 

I'm 47.

My mate took me along to a Saints game when I was 16 maybe. I didn't follow a club prior to that, and didn't habe a great interest in the fitba, aside from Scotland internationals.

I wasn't brought up in a fitba family. That said, if anything, it was Rangers. I was given a strip by my grandfaither when I was a bairn, but as soon as I was old enough to know what they were all about, there was no way I was following them. Also, I went to Ibrox as a neutral with a few mates in1985. It was a horrible experience, and I vowed never to set foot in the place again. I've stayed true to that commitment.

As for Saints, well, they probably count aa my first love (or thereabouts....).

31 minutes ago, Langbank said:

59 years. Uncle started taking me to games early 60's. Never had any inclination to support anyone else. St Mirren has been part of my life for the past 55 years which is longer than anything else.

Good to hear..................... A supporter for life and only has 84 posts. You must be a happy supporter:D 

I'll be 44 next month. First game I remember going to was Saints v Tampa Bay Rowdies, about 1980 I think. My dad took me and my younger brother to that but didn't take us to many games over the years - the 87 cup semi final and final were two notable ones he did take us to though.

Another reasonably early memory was my uncle taking us to the Saints v Feyenoord game. We were in the away end if I remember correctly. I remember almost nothing about the game.

Grew up in St James Street so went with my mates from about age 10 or 11 as it was just around the corner. Getting a lift over was a laugh, until some guy said I should be lifting him over, which stopped me in my tracks...

I've never remembered being anything but a St Mirren fan.

Just now, Langbank said:

Yeah my glass is always 1/2 full but I do apologise for my lack of posts. Sometimes I wonder how we all coped before social media etc emoji16.png

Yes considering as the mass majority on here coped without it for most of our lives...................

Its good to talk ( now its type):huh:

Just now, El Gingero said:

45. First game v Dundee Utd Scottish Cup Jan 1977 - we won 4-1.

Great game, Bobby Torrance double, the day we arrived as Premier Outfit.....

Next game v Well wasne bad either, until that bloody cheat Pettigrew played a hand............... 

61. My dad took me to some games at Ibrox and Love St when I was around 9 or 10. Might have been whenever was at home that sat. Was allow to go to Love St with my mates just before I left primary school and been going ever since. Even took the wife to Love St the day after we got married in 1977  :lol: 

I'm 55, verging on 105, if Hibs lose 10-0 tonight with nine spotty herberts and the Proclaimers as their starting XI...

Have posted this many times now. Was a Johnstone Burgh fan. Saw them win the Scottish Junior Cup in 1968. As a teenager, was browsing the racks of vinyl in Listen Records, across from the museum. Two guys wearing Saints scarves came in, one looked at his watch and said something to his mate like 'look at the time, better get heading down to the game'. I had nothing on, on the spur of the moment I decided to 'head down to the game' too. Went in and stood on the North Bank. 1-1 draw with East Fife, opening game of what turned out to be the Fergie's Furies title season... both goals were own goals and it was a dreadful game. I went back for the next home game though, as the atmosphere amongst fellow spotty herberts in flared jeans and terrible haircuts was good... the rest is history.

Age - 54

Was taken to my first Saints game in '68 by my dad (dead) & uncle (Alzheimer's) - the legendary one where we beat Rangers in the fog with a Hugh Gilshan goal to go second in the league, behind only the then European Cup holders.  Started going on my own in 76/77.:holiday

Attempted to interest both of my children to no avail but I will have a further go with my grandson (and any others that may arrive).

Plenty of highs & lows since then but I wouldn't swap them for a rounded life..............:toilet

As The Trememoes said...........

Edited by Bud the Baker

31 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I'm 55, verging on 105, if Hibs lose 10-0 tonight with nine spotty herberts and the Proclaimers as their starting XI...

Have posted this many times now. Was a Johnstone Burgh fan. Saw them win the Scottish Junior Cup in 1968. As a teenager, was browsing the racks of vinyl in Listen Records, across from the museum. Two guys wearing Saints scarves came in, one looked at his watch and said something to his mate like 'look at the time, better get heading down to the game'. I had nothing on, on the spur of the moment I decided to 'head down to the game' too. Went in and stood on the North Bank. 1-1 draw with East Fife, opening game of what turned out to be the Fergie's Furies title season... both goals were own goals and it was a dreadful game. I went back for the next home game though, as the atmosphere amongst fellow spotty herberts in flared jeans and terrible haircuts was good... the rest is history.

Wish to feck them two guys hadn't went in that day. :rolleyes:

I was a slow burner as far as Saints were concerned. My first game was when I was 12. Partick Thistle at Love Street. 1-0 to the Buddies with Gilshen? on the score sheet. (1979). I went only now and again. Games that stick out for me were the two in 72-73 v Rangers. The first at Love Street only remembered because it was the only time I watched from the main stand, not the game itself which we lost 0-4. The reverse fixture was far more enjoyable as we had, I think, the only player ever to score a hatrick at Castle Greyskull. The 4-1 victory over Dundee Utd was the only game my dad took in with me. Cairter's corner with a mixed crowd. DU fans singing WITH us by the end of the game. Drink fueled I think as we passed the whisky and they shared their beers. The 3-3 draw v Rangers at Love Street with McGarvey being denied a hatrick. Big Tam Forsyth getting sent off. The Anglo Scottish cup success where I saw Jimmy Bone lifting the cup after we hammered Bristol City home and away. My first full season wasn't until the mid 70's when I went to the footie and the speedway. It was a full day out with the supporters club the final venue in the evening. Obviously the Fergie years and the Scottish cup success were special. Oh to get back to those halcyon days.

ETA. I forget about a certain game where a lot left with a few minutes to go thinking we had progressed to the next round in Europe only to ................... I forget!

Edited by stlucifer