What has hapened to Stelios

leselec

20 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Injury and illness have disrupted his fitness in recent weeks. I would think there's a good chance he'll start at home to Raith, as we go with a very attacking mindset. I'd put him in place of Eckersley at left back.

Each offer different attributes 

I wouldn't play him at full back...........I love his directness and his desire to drive the game forward but he worries me defensively. If he plays left-back he has Morgan ahead of him, a direct and forward thinking player and I think that would leave us exposed.

51 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Injury and illness have disrupted his fitness in recent weeks. I would think there's a good chance he'll start at home to Raith, as we go with a very attacking mindset. I'd put him in place of Eckersley at left back.

Jack Ross won't though. Eckersley has played on every occasion he's been available since he arrived at the club.

I agree with Soctty. Give him the LB berth. Eckersley looked a bit it one paced against Falkirk, and didn't get stuck in as much as I'd hoped.

Stelios offers a goal threat, but also a degree of unpredictability. That can be a double edged sword, of course, but I think we need to set out to attack Raith from KO on Saturday, and Stelios fits the bill better for me. I wasn't convinced that he settled into the wide midfield role very comfortably.

Our full backs are now encouraged to come forward but Eckersley is too predictable. He either square passes it inside to a midfielder or launches a high ball to the far post. With Stelios you have no idea what he will do. Stelios gets my vote.

Stelios played at Kirkcaldy without having much success. If they play like they did then (and they were successful), Raith will come and get 10 men behind the ball, let us have lots of easy possession and close us down in the wide areas and the final third. I think we should be ready for a frustrating afternoon unless we get a goal and force them to change their tactics.  

I would play Stelios instead of Irvine and Sutton instead of Morgan from Saturday.

Stelios is clearly weaker defensively, but offers so much more going forward, and that's what we'll need at the weekend.  A draw would be a disastrous result, we need to go out and attack and score and win.  And Stelios is the man that has the bit of magic that can unlock defences.

Morgan didn't look half fit on Saturday and if he is going to feature this weekend it should be from the bench.  Goes without saying that our top scorer should be on the park for 90 minutes for this one.

I think it will be an easy win.  3-0.

Edited by TopCat

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I would play Stelios instead of Irvine and Sutton instead of Morgan from Saturday.

Stelios is clearly weaker defensively, but offers so much more going forward, and that's what we'll need at the weekend.  A draw would be a disastrous result, we need to go out and attack and score and win.  And Stelios is the man that has the bit of magic that can unlock defences.

Morgan didn't look half fit on Saturday and if he is going to feature this weekend it should be from the bench.  Goes without saying that our top scorer should be on the park for 90 minutes for this one.

I think it will be an easy win.  3-0.

I agree with Morgan being half fit on Saturday although should be a week fitter this week.

We've scored two goals in each of our last two games and managed one draw.........I think to concentrate a wee bit on our defensive side would be prudent.

Edited by WeeBud

Raith may well keep it tight and pack the middle of the park from centre to their own goal line.  They only need to draw with us to heap all the presure back on saints so I expect they will set out to be hard to break down, especially from the wings.  If that happens then we might well get more set-piece chances than usual.  They will be looking to foul, spoil and block rather than build from the back.  I also don't think Yogi is above inflicting a few injuries or trying to draw reds and yellows to weaken us for the final Saturday, expect to see some players spend more time on their backs than on their feet

1 minute ago, WeeBud said:

I agree with Morgan being half fit on Saturday although should be a week fitter this week.

We've scored two goals in each of our last two games and managed one draw.........I think to concentrate a wee bit on our defensive side would be prudent.

Both those games were away at teams who attacked us.  Can assure you Raith won't be doing that at the weekend, they are going to sit deep and play for a draw.

7 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Both those games were away at teams who attacked us.  Can assure you Raith won't be doing that at the weekend, they are going to sit deep and play for a draw.

We're scoring plenty, just keep the back door locked

23 minutes ago, TopCat said:

They certainly done that last night until they went a goal down.

After that they we equal to Hibs and were, IMO, worth a draw.

With our defence I would think we'll need to score 2 goals, at least, to win the match.

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Struggled to score against the last team to come to paisley and shut up shop, Dumbarton.

In saying that, I think we will win comfortably on Saturday.

I think we'll win too but in McManus, Hardie, Barr and Johnston Raith can break at pace (see first game of season at Starks Park and last years defeat there too for reference).

Attack for certain but needs discipline or we'll leave ourselves very open at the back

3 hours ago, WeeBud said:

I wouldn't play him at full back...........I love his directness and his desire to drive the game forward but he worries me defensively. If he plays left-back he has Morgan ahead of him, a direct and forward thinking player and I think that would leave us exposed.

Tore Hibs a new one at left back

we got raped at Starks last year by their breaks from defence, but this is a different team.  I would say, be a little less direct, take it wide, stretch and frustrate Raith and let them wonder what our game plan is for 10 or so minutes.  We should sit back if they want to sit back and see if they know what to do when we stroke the ball back and forward in front of their back line(S).  The cracks will soon appear and we have the fire power to trouble them.

I would go with a 2 man midfield to start and keep a tight defence poised for their breaks.

If I was the manager I would start him but I don't think Stelios will start on Saturday.

Jack is more likely to use him from the bench as he offers a bundle of running and energy which causes havoc against tired teams. His versatility means he could replace either full back and he's also got potential further up the park if need be.

Eck is a solid performer and actually what was lost in all the shitstorm after the game at Tannadice was the absolutely brilliant ball he played through to Morgan which eventually led to the Josh Todd goal.

Sutton is the big decision to make for me. He got absolutely nothing out of Mvoto when we were though in Kirkcaldy. I'd be tempted to go with Smith and Loy with Morgan and Magennis supporting from wide areas. That's the team that ripped Ayr apart and I think the pace there would terrify Mvoto.

It's harsh, perhaps madness, to drop your top scorer but at home in a game like this I think we need to be ultra mobile.

23 minutes ago, div said:

If I was the manager I would start him but I don't think Stelios will start on Saturday.

Jack is more likely to use him from the bench as he offers a bundle of running and energy which causes havoc against tired teams. His versatility means he could replace either full back and he's also got potential further up the park if need be.

Eck is a solid performer and actually what was lost in all the shitstorm after the game at Tannadice was the absolutely brilliant ball he played through to Morgan which eventually led to the Josh Todd goal.

Sutton is the big decision to make for me. He got absolutely nothing out of Mvoto when we were though in Kirkcaldy. I'd be tempted to go with Smith and Loy with Morgan and Magennis supporting from wide areas. That's the team that ripped Ayr apart and I think the pace there would terrify Mvoto.

It's harsh, perhaps madness, to drop your top scorer but at home in a game like this I think we need to be ultra mobile.

Except it doesn't - give me an example of when has he come on as a substitute and we've gone on to win the game (we were already 2-0 up when he was brought on after 89 mins against QotS).

As Dirty Sanchez said on the last thread Stelios is a player who can win games with his attacking ability, one of 4/5 (tops) we've got in the squad at present I'm part of the section of support who think his overall game should make him first choice when fit.

I have very little to add to this constructive conversation.

I do wish to state though:

I think Stellios is a smashing player.  It is very rare to see such a two footed player with realy ability.  Stellios would start every time he was fit if I were the manager, Christ almighty his two goals against Hibernian fc demonstarted that for goodness sake.  I would start him, I would indeed.