What has hapened to Stelios

leselec

The games where we have won and won well are when he has played. Ayr home & away, Morton away, Hibs home. It makes us more attacking but at the same time more open at the back.

Tough call and I think we will stick with Eck and Irvine and make sure we are harder to beat and then look to change it if we need to chase the win later in the game.

Injury and illness have disrupted his fitness in recent weeks. I would think there's a good chance he'll start at home to Raith, as we go with a very attacking mindset. I'd put him in place of Eckersley at left back.

Stelios over Eckersley every day of the week. Much better player IMO.

Overall, Stelios is the best full back at the club, and is also better than most full backs who have left the club over the years. 

If he remains third choice, and we stay up, then that'll be fantastic, but we'll be staying up in spite of not starting our best full back, not because of it.

Some nice theories about him being a shit defender and an impact sub.

He's a proven impact starter and game changer. Hibs couldn't lay a glove on him. The crucial third goal that took the game out of Ayr's reach wasn't happening with any other full back coming down that flank, etc.

However, Eckersley is a mate of Jack's, and Stelios is effortlessly cooler than the normally comparatively debonair Jack.

Overall, Stelios is the best full back at the club, and is also better than most full backs who have left the club over the years. 

If he remains third choice, and we stay up, then that'll be fantastic, but we'll be staying up in spite of not starting our best full back, not because of it.

Some nice theories about him being a shit defender and an impact sub.

He's a proven impact starter and game changer. Hibs couldn't lay a glove on him. The crucial third goal that took the game out of Ayr's reach wasn't happening with any other full back coming down that flank, etc.

However, Eckersley is a mate of Jack's, and Stelios is effortlessly cooler than the normally comparatively debonair Jack.

He has started in (and starred in) our convincing wins.

People talk about him not being as good defensively as the other two yet the only time I remember a defensive error from him that cost us a goal was where he narrowly missed cutting out a ball out to the morton winger.

If he had cut the ball out he would have lead another attack, he missed and they went up and scored. I can remember lots of times that Irvine has cost us goals, and I can remember lots of times when Eckersley has lost possession putting pressure on us.

I agree Stelios is my favourite full back at the club.

Even in his "failed" outing as midfielder it was his ball through to Cammy Smith that freed him up to run directly at Dumbarton which caused them all sorts of confusion allowing him to slip in Kyle McGennis to score the opener.

Agree with all the pro-Stelios comments above - hopefully Jack thinks the same way.

Stelios must start.

The other two regular full backs have done a decent shift - especially Irvine in 2017 - so I am not slating them by any means. Personally speaking, I'd rest Eckersley to accommodate him

Stelios has a star quality/game change ability about him at this level; so throw him in and let him do his thing.

I don't know what that'll be - and neither will Raith.

Edited by southsidebud

I'd be tempted to give Todd a start in place of Morgan, who could do a great job from the bench. I'd also start Stelios in place of Eckersley, to give us more going forward. I'd stick with Smith and Loy's movement up top to create space for the midfield to exploit and have Sutton to bring on later on, along with Morgan, to give Raith something else to think about.

If you want to score goals you play stelios. Raith will shut up shop like Dumbarton did.but what we failed to do with Dumbarton was get the ball to feet in their box kept putting cross balls in .they dealt with them.but burst in to their box or pass it in their. Its a goal or a penalty.and if its a penalty.lets get some practice in today.

Edited by Paisley brazilians

11 minutes ago, Paisley brazilians said:

If you want to score goals you play stelios. Raith will shut up shop like Dumbarton did.but what we failed to do with Dumbarton was get the ball to feet in their box kept putting cross balls in .they dealt with them.but burst in to their box or pass it in their. Its a goal or a penalty.and if its a penalty.lets get some practice in today.

Scoring goals isn't our problem, it's preventing them so whoever are our best defenders are the priority IMO.

Just think its fantastic , the options we have are supurb , Stellios seems to thrive playing as an attacking full back , and along with Morgan will terrorise their right back tomorrow , that said Eckersley might be more suited to playing a tighter game away from home   like next weeks game . So much at stake in tomorrow's game.  COYS

10 hours ago, shull said:

What has hapened to leselec ? :rolleyes:

I am still here (in Australia) hoping Saints can avoid the drop as I think we can push on next year for promotion to the Premiership. Jack Ross has assembled a good squad of players & with a few new additions the writing is on the wall, we are on our way up.

Eckersley is the better defensively, Stelios the better going forward. Both are decent players in their own ways. It's a game we want to win that requires goals so Stelios is a good option if we are struggling to break them down, a maverick, something different. Personally I feel we should start our best defender (Eckersley) and rely on the strikers and midfield for goals with Stelios as the"wildcard" off the bench if required. Best of both worlds really. Stelios is going to have to improve defensively to be a 1st choice full back even at this level but that can be taught. He's a real talent though especially being two footed. Playing him further forward didn't really work but it's worth working on imo.

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Eckersley is the better defensively, Stelios the better going forward. Both are decent players in their own ways. It's a game we want to win that requires goals so Stelios is a good option if we are struggling to break them down, a maverick, something different. Personally I feel we should start our best defender (Eckersley) and rely on the strikers and midfield for goals with Stelios as the"wildcard" off the bench if required. Best of both worlds really. Stelios is going to have to improve defensively to be a 1st choice full back even at this level but that can be taught. He's a real talent though especially being two footed. Playing him further forward didn't really work but it's worth working on imo.

Doubt anyone can question Jack's decision tonight.

30 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Doubt anyone can question Jack's decision tonight.

Eckersley had a great game and warranted his start. Jack was right.

I wanted him rested for Stelios - we'll never know for sure if that would have gotten us a bigger victory but I will concede it as unlikely :)

Stelios is however as cool as a cool thing left outside on a cool evening to cool down a bit more - who can also play a bit - and who must be signed for next season.

He also has cool hair. 

Stelios came on, flicked a ball up and over an opponent's head with the outside of his foot, ran around the guy who was inside-out by now and ran onto his own flick... he's a defender. Defenders in Scotland aren't supposed to do this sort of shit... it was magnificent and I roared with approval. If there was a B&W Army award for cult hero - the boy would be a shoe-in. He can play, he seems to have personality, and he entertains. Surely we need to see Stelios in the stripes next season.