What has hapened to Stelios

leselec

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Stelios came on, flicked a ball up and over an opponent's head with the outside of his foot, ran around the guy who was inside-out by now and ran onto his own flick... he's a defender. Defenders in Scotland aren't supposed to do this sort of shit... it was magnificent and I roared with approval. If there was a B&W Army award for cult hero - the boy would be a shoe-in. He can play, he seems to have personality, and he entertains. Surely we need to see Stelios in the stripes next season.

I said to my mate earlier that he's a total enigma and folk love him for it. He's a player who is genuinely exciting and can change a game himself from as deep as full back. At this level, player like Stelios are a rarity. 

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I said to my mate earlier that he's a total enigma and folk love him for it. He's a player who is genuinely exciting and can change a game himself from as deep as full back. At this level, player like Stelios are a rarity. 

^^^ this. Plus, he's a trier. Puts a real effort in. I don't get this 'he's a liability defensively' argument. One mis-timed tackle attempt v Morton?

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

^^^ this. Plus, he's a trier. Puts a real effort in. I don't get this 'he's a liability defensively' argument. One mis-timed tackle attempt v Morton?

He's been a revelation.

Fitba needs characters. St Mirren needs characters. Its a bonus when they can also play a bit.

Super Stelios indeed!

9 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Eckersley is a better player than Stelios every day of the week. Thats why Jack Ross favours him every time. So is Gary Irvine and Lewis Morgan, so Super Stelios (which he isn't, he's decent and good impact player) doesn't get a game.

Someone could work out Stelios' goals-to-game ratio, and I bet it's impressive. He was also called on to play in midfield, which he did. He's super, super Stelios.

:D

When Hibs are putting together their game plan for Saturday, I'm sure they'll be looking back to the previous game between the sides, and making special arrangements to nullify the threat from that game's man of the match. They'll be wanting to make sure he's not the difference between the sides again this time.

Ahem. :rolleyes:

On 29/04/2017 at 9:06 PM, pozbaird said:

Stelios came on, flicked a ball up and over an opponent's head with the outside of his foot, ran around the guy who was inside-out by now and ran onto his own flick... he's a defender. Defenders in Scotland aren't supposed to do this sort of shit... it was magnificent and I roared with approval. If there was a B&W Army award for cult hero - the boy would be a shoe-in. He can play, he seems to have personality, and he entertains. Surely we need to see Stelios in the stripes next season.

:lol: 

20 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Eckersley is a better player than Stelios every day of the week. Thats why Jack Ross favours him every time. So is Gary Irvine and Lewis Morgan, so Super Stelios (which he isn't, he's decent and good impact player) doesn't get a game.

Doo Doo Doo Do Do Decent Impact Player.... Not as catchy :rolleyes:

Eckersley came onto a good game after a slow start - much like the team. Similarly with Irvine. I would have Stelios in my team though, somewhere. The guy is an entertainer and delivers an end product. Having two solid full backs is great, but neither adds much coming forward. Several times I noted one or other having the ball in space and putting the ball into the box where we had nobody of any great aerial ability. Stelios with the same opportunity would have driven the ball forward, and either dragged players inside or outside, depending on which way he elected to go, leaving space for Morgan/Magennis/Smith to exploit.

I totally understand the reasoning behind the full backs who started, and it paid off against a team who rarely threatened, but I like to see a player who excites the fans, and Super Stelios is that man as he showed numerous times when he came on.

On 4/29/2017 at 9:16 PM, pozbaird said:

One mistimed tackle where if he'd made it, we had every chance of creating yet another chance.

While it's understandable for people wanting Stelios to start we are in such a tight position that we have to get points.

IF we stay up and get off to a flyer then Stelios could easily be slotted in but it's imperative right now the team is solid and the manager knows what is his best team.

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

While it's understandable for people wanting Stelios to start we are in such a tight position that we have to get points.

IF we stay up and get off to a flyer then Stelios could easily be slotted in but it's imperative right now the team is solid and the manager knows what is his best team.

I'm reluctant to prolong this with a big weekend coming up, since we now know the manager's thoughts for sure, and it's more one for the close season.

However, I will. :P

The above is only pertinent if you are a believer in the myth that he is a dodgy defender, which seems to have come out of him having flair, ergo he must be dodgy at the back.

There's scant evidence that he is any worse at defending than either of the incumbents. There's overwhelming evidence that he's significantly better than both of them at attacking. We need points, and Stelios putting us 1-0 up, unassisted, in two matches has helped us get 6 of them, etc.

He was only playing against Morton due to the solid Eckersley getting himself a stupid red card in stoppage time of the previous game. I get the feeling that if Stelios had got a similarly stupid red card it would have been put down to him being a hot head, and a maverick, and all that stuff. 

Stelios.:wub:

I'm reluctant to prolong this with a big weekend coming up, since we now know the manager's thoughts for sure, and it's more one for the close season.
However, I will. [emoji14]
The above is only pertinent if you are a believer in the myth that he is a dodgy defender, which seems to have come out of him having flair, ergo he must be dodgy at the back.
There's scant evidence that he is any worse at defending than either of the incumbents. There's overwhelming evidence that he's significantly better than both of them at attacking. We need points, and Stelios putting us 1-0 up, unassisted, in two matches has helped us get 6 of them, etc.
He was only playing against Morton due to the solid Eckersley getting himself a stupid red card in stoppage time of the previous game. I get the feeling that if Stelios had got a similarly stupid red card it would have been put down to him being a hot head, and a maverick, and all that stuff. 
Stelios.:wub:

Sorry but on his first couple of starts for us he was very poor defensively but showed potential going forward.

Bottom line for me is that I trust Jack Ross to do what is best for the team.

Stellios is a fantastic option to have . I believe a good squad should have two keepers , three full backs , three central defenders , six midfielder and four attackers , with a few of the players able to play in a number of positions , think its great we can have this debate , my opinion is , two different types of defenders suited to different types of games

22 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Sorry but on his first couple of starts for us he was very poor defensively but showed potential going forward.

Bottom line for me is that I trust Jack Ross to do what is best for the team.

But no specifics?

Potential?:lol: Was that his man of the match performance against Hibs, in his 4th start, when he was the difference between the sides?

I also trust Jack Ross, but like every other human being, it doesn't mean he's always right.

3 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Stellios is a fantastic option to have . I believe a good squad should have two keepers , three full backs , three central defenders , six midfielder and four attackers , with a few of the players able to play in a number of positions , think its great we can have this debate , my opinion is , two different types of defenders suited to different types of games

That's what I think too, but I'm not seeing the rotation happening.

Maybe it will next season. That would be ideal.

4 minutes ago, gazah said:

Thought he did really well when he came on today, tough against a good hibs side but for me he did ok... definitely have him in our squad next season if possible!

Covered across to left back at our goal and instead of blasting if forward passed to Morgan and the rest is history!