Gary MacKenzie

Mentioned MacKenzie on the match day thread.

Watched him closely over the last few weeks, looks, to me, the ultimate team player.

His goal threat, we are due a few penalties as he's getting obstructed/hauled at almost every corner, and his willingness to be all over the park is a shining example to other players.

Hope he stays with us for years to come as he could be a St Mirren great.

Already helping Baird who was getting plenty of criticism, some warranted, some not so much, and I believe for us to have areal successful team we need a strong steady defence.

We're still not out of the woods but, whatever happens, I hope MacKenzie is a Saints player for a long time.

Only on a one year deal. Would be happy to see him sign another one with us but given his age and fragility I wouldn't want to commit to a longer one.

If he's impressed one of the top flight clubs I'd expect him to be away (bit like Watson last season) if he's going to be in the Championship I don't see him doing any better than us (unless Dundee Utd. stay down) and hopefully our form since February would make him stick rather than twist.

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Only on a one year deal. Would be happy to see him sign another one with us but given his age and fragility I wouldn't want to commit to a longer one.

If he's impressed one of the top flight clubs I'd expect him to be away (bit like Watson last season) if he's going to be in the Championship I don't see him doing any better than us (unless Dundee Utd. stay down) and hopefully our form since February would make him stick rather than twist.

One year would do, Baird, and others would benefit so ok for me.

Watched him closely over the last few weeks, looks, to me, the ultimate team player.
His goal threat, we are due a few penalties as he's getting obstructed/hauled at almost every corner, and his willingness to be all over the park is a shining example to other players.
Already helping Baird who was getting plenty of criticism, some warranted, some not so much, and I believe for us to have areal successful team we need a strong steady defence.
We're still not out of the woods but, whatever happens, I hope MacKenzie is a Saints player for a long time.

Was my choice for player of the year. Even when we struggled, he was consistently impressive, even with Andy Webster alongside him.

Only hope we can get him signed to another deal, I'd give him another two years.

He has been excellent last 10 weeks  if big Harry is here next year too we will be solid at the back . Keep our young midfielders also we will defo be challenging at other end of table next season. Unfortunately i doubt we will have all our stars from the last quarter of season here next year but hey ho we should enjoy it just now anyway. Cannae wait to easter road next week !

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Once we survive next week or via the playoffs I hope virtually every single player stays because IMHO this is an SPL standard team who will walk this division next season.

I think this is a special group of players and he's one of the best. I'd be surprised if he hasn't caught the eye of a Premiership team.

A couple of mates of mine, who knew very little about the St Mirren team, came with me to the Ayr game and both immediately picked him out as a guy that had played at much higher level. Maybe he will make a move similar to the one that Watson made last summers and, like Watson, you couldn't grudge him it, but last season season didn't hold the promise of working with coaches like Jack Ross and James Fowler and a talented, hungry group of players.

I would hope that that would be a factor when he's making his decision. I'm sure he does want to play at a higher level, but I'm convinced he can do that with us in the not too distant future. Hopefully he will be too.

47 minutes ago, Saint Garf said:

I think this is a special group of players and he's one of the best. I'd be surprised if he hasn't caught the eye of a Premiership team.

A couple of mates of mine, who knew very little about the St Mirren team, came with me to the Ayr game and both immediately picked him out as a guy that had played at much higher level. Maybe he will make a move similar to the one that Watson made last summers and, like Watson, you couldn't grudge him it, but last season season didn't hold the promise of working with coaches like Jack Ross and James Fowler and a talented, hungry group of players.

I would hope that that would be a factor when he's making his decision. I'm sure he does want to play at a higher level, but I'm convinced he can do that with us in the not too distant future. Hopefully he will be too.

Per the letter from Jack about giving him and the team support , prior to the Range Rovers game , the players want to stay if we stay up . .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

If we could keep the same back 4 as we have at the moment with Davis in for Baird and Stellios and Baird as backup then it's a defence which could challenge for the title. Not convinved about O'Brien though, think he is a good shot stopper but looks shaky with crosses and doesn't command his box well enough.

6 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

If we could keep the same back 4 as we have at the moment with Davis in for Baird and Stellios and Baird as backup then it's a defence which could challenge for the title. Not convinved about O'Brien though, think he is a good shot stopper but looks shaky with crosses and doesn't command his box well enough.

I think Billy will only improve. Yes, he isn't the finished article, but he has plenty of positive attributes that suggest he'll kick on.

Edited by Drew

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

I think Billy will only improve. Yes, he isn't the finished article, but he has plenty of positive attributes that suggest he'll kick on.

I agree. I just wonder if he's learning from the wrong coach though. No offence to Jamie but I feel Billy has regressed since he started between the Saints' sticks.

Edited by stlucifer

8 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I agree. I just wonder if he's learning from the wrong coach though. No offence to Jamie but I feel Billy has regressed since he started between the Saints' sticks.

Maybe, aye.

One other thing that has to be considered is the fact the Billy was brought in when we were staring into the abyss. He was launched straight in as literally the last line of defence, in what had to be an immensely pressured playing environment for a young keeper.

When you factor that in, I think he has done pretty damn well, overall.

He's certainly not regressed but I do think some clubs are targeting his uneasiness at coming for crosses. For me that's something that can be improved.

His shot stopping has been good since he came in and his kicking is very very good.

There's not one keeper at this level that's perfect. Look at Raith keeper from Saturday who was poor for a few of their goals, Fleming from Ayr has had some decent reviews but I don't think many Ayr fans would be disappointed to lose him as he's very error prone. Same for Dumbarton keeper who's on loan from Hamilton

All that factored in I would keep Billy as he should continue to improve, guess it depends who's available

12 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

He's certainly not regressed but I do think some clubs are targeting his uneasiness at coming for crosses. For me that's something that can be improved.

His shot stopping has been good since he came in and his kicking is very very good.

There's not one keeper at this level that's perfect. Look at Raith keeper from Saturday who was poor for a few of their goals, Fleming from Ayr has had some decent reviews but I don't think many Ayr fans would be disappointed to lose him as he's very error prone. Same for Dumbarton keeper who's on loan from Hamilton

All that factored in I would keep Billy as he should continue to improve, guess it depends who's available

Alan Martin was released by Hamilton last year and signed a one year deal last August for Dumbarton.

AFAIK the Dumbarton fans rate him very highly.

I've been impressed by him when I've seen him play against us.

We could do worse.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Agree wholeheartedly with this. If coached correctly, he can improve greatly - dealing with crosses is his one big issue.