Where Will We Finish Next Season ?

16 hours ago, elvis said:

Anything better than this season will do me think its pushing it a bit thinking we will win the league We don't even know whos going or coming if we lose Mallan and Morgan that's a massive part of this team and will be very difficult to replace But I have every faith in  Jack Ross so looking forward to see what transpires over the coming months .

Would agree with this

I thought we had bottomed out last year when Alex Rae lead a hopeless side to 6th.  I was wrong, we managed to finish with even less points and in a lower position this year.  The year on year decline has to end somewhere, and next year is surely the time it does.

7 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Would agree with this

I thought we had bottomed out last year when Alex Rae lead a hopeless side to 6th.  I was wrong, we managed to finish with even less points and in a lower position this year.  The year on year decline has to end somewhere, and next year is surely the time it does.

Can I ask a question? How many points did Rae get this season with his choice of players. When Ross made his mark on the team we have been flying. Win the league maybe aye, maybe naw what I'm sure of is we will make the play offs. Are you ready to admit you got Jack Ross wrong. Not going to give you stick just curious. 

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Can I ask a question? How many points did Rae get this season with his choice of players. When Ross made his mark on the team we have been flying. Win the league maybe aye, maybe naw what I'm sure of is we will make the play offs. Are you ready to admit you got Jack Ross wrong. Not going to give you stick just curious. 

3 from 6 games.   Rae was a hopeless manager who deserved sacking.

Still though, he lead us to 6th last year with what was (in my view) a weaker side than we had this season.  Got wrong in what sense?  I said before the manager was appointed that if he kept us up he should get next season.  I said that during JR's tenure aswell.

Edited by TopCat

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Still though, he lead us to 6th last year with what was (in my view) a weaker side than we had this season.  Got wrong in what sense?  I said before the manager was appointed that if he kept us up he should get next season.  I said that during JR's tenure aswell.

So you said if he kept us up he should stay but you also said that he should be sacked :rolleyes: nothing like covering your bases eh ? 

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

Thank God we're not relying on "your view" then and JR changed it all when he did.

27 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Next season will never come as time has obviously stopped - I can hear no more ticking or tocking.

And all because Gus never got the job . Thank Christ ! 

16 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

So you said if he kept us up he should stay but you also said that he should be sacked :rolleyes: nothing like covering your bases eh ? 

I said he should be sacked in December after we got humped at home by QOTS.  And had we done then and got an experienced manager in i think we would have been safe long before the last day of the season.  Alas we didn't and we had to endure some major squeaky bum time going right up to the last kick of the ball on the final day. 

But we stayed up and that's that so he should get the summer and the start of next season.  Just like Rae did last year after keeping us up.

8 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I said he should be sacked in December after we got humped at home by QOTS.  And had we done then and got an experienced manager in i think we would have been safe long before the last day of the season.  Alas we didn't and we had to endure some major squeaky bum time going right up to the last kick of the ball on the final day. 

But we stayed up and that's that so he should get the summer and the start of next season.  Just like Rae did last year after keeping us up.

He should have been sacked before he signed one single player of his own ? 

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Sorry Bud but there is no comparison between what Rae achieved and what Jack Ross and Jim Fowler have achieved. Even putting aside we are now a joy to watch as opposed to turgid under Rae, we have our Club back. The love is back. Rae couldn't have achieved that ever. In Jack and Jim we trust #thislove

13 minutes ago, TopCat said:

So he assembles a fantastic squad with almost no budget, has us playing the best football we have seen for years, brings the entire club together from top to bottom, has us scoring a vast number of goals and on championship winning form and you ......errr.......want to give him a few games into the new season? :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

29 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I thought I talked some shite but you trump me hands down you sure your not Dickson in disguise. 

25 minutes ago, magnus said:

Sorry Bud but there is no comparison between what Rae achieved and what Jack Ross and Jim Fowler have achieved. Even putting aside we are now a joy to watch as opposed to turgid under Rae, we have our Club back. The love is back. Rae couldn't have achieved that ever. In Jack and Jim we trust #thislove

Well there is a comparison.

Alex Rae took over in December with another managers underperforming team and finished 6th with 42 points and had us safe with about a month of the season to go.

JR took over in October with another managers underperforming team and finished 7th with 39 points and had us safe at the final kick of the final day.

I don't want this to sound like I'm defending Alex Rae, he was terrible.  He should have been sacked for releasing Sean Kelly alone, but to say you can't compare them just isn't true.

What team do you think was better, this years team or last years?

Edited by TopCat

Just now, TopCat said:

Alex Rae took over in December with another managers underperforming team and finished 6th with 42 points and had us safe with about a month of the season to go.

JR took over in October with another managers underperforming team and finished 7th with 39 points and had us safe at the final kick of the final day.

I don't want this to sound like I'm defending Alex Rae, he was terrible.  He should have been sacked for releasing Sean Kelly alone, but to say you can't compare them just isn't true.

I am not knocking your stats but I honestly don't believe you can compare what they each have achieved. A succession of terrible managers had all but destroyed the club. It was a train wreck. It was a matter of how far can this falling knife fall . Jack Ross in a few short months has transformed us - saved us. The points tally and stats that Rae and his taxi driving chum trot out at every opportunity just don't come close to what Jack has achieved . We have a real talent at the helm now and I for one can't wait to see where the journey takes us.

13 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Depends what team from this season you are talking about.  Is it the unbalanced mess that Rae assembled or the dynamic one that Ross put together?

Sometimes football, and life in general, is so much more than statistics.

1 minute ago, scottd said:

Depends what team from this season you are talking about.  Is it the unbalanced mess that Rae assembled or the dynamic one that Ross put together?

Well the team from the start of this season was very similar to the end of last season.  10 of our starting 11 on the first day of this season were the part of the squad that finished 6th last year.

2 minutes ago, scottd said:

Jack Ross and the team have done a brilliant job all of us agree, well most of us. The big thing for me is the style they did it in the best football we have played in many many years. 

On 2017-5-6 at 4:40 PM, shull said:

First in the Championship. 

And wearing the famous black and white traditional stripes. 

Easy 

I think Dundee Utd will lose in the playoff final against maybe Motherwell or Hamilton.

Raith i think will end up getting the better of who they face in the Playoff so my prediction is as follows

Prediction

Falkirk 

St Mirren 

Dundee Utd 

Inverness Caley

Dunfermline

Morton

Raith Rovers

Livingston

QOS

Dumbarton

Topcat. Do yourself a favour and admit you got it wrong. Noone gets it right all the time, there is no shame in it. Alex Rae never reached anywhere near the form we have had since January, statistically or otherwise and everyone knows this. Enjoy the turnaround and one of the most exciting teams we've seen for a long time.

And stop hiding behind stats. I could write a program to calculate opinions based purely on stats. It takes human beings, and in this case fans, to be able to look beneath stats, understand the mitigating factors, and come out with a far more educated and useful perspective.

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

Well the team from the start of this season was very similar to the end of last season.  10 of our starting 11 on the first day of this season were the part of the squad that finished 6th last year.

Those 10 fell to just 5 players in his final match being players we had last season, as he changed the lineup in every single game in charge as he begun to bring in the players he signed last summer.