Jack Baird - 1 yr extension

I'm glad Jack has been signed up - that's three of the five top defenders at the club signed up (come on Gary Mack and Stelios - get them pens out).

Good work Jack Ross - like others say perhaps he didn't want two year just now - but I'd have offered him it anyway.

No matter - JR still has a year to work a Jedi Mind trick on him for a further two year extension later on :D

Edited by southsidebud

13 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Hahaha brilliant... Who mentioned him as a future international? Was it Caixinha in the same interview saying Celtic wouldn't win the title next season? 

NO WAY, PEDRO 

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

Jack Baird is a good young centre back who is still improving. Why the desire to mock him? Has great potential, despite a few grumbling voices on here, some of whom seem peeved at being proven wrong regarding his being handed a new contract...

I think the mocking, is more aimed at the comment he's already been tipped as a future Scotland international.  Can't see how that can be true.

Personally I would not of been fussed if he was let go this summer but I'm happy to go with what Jack Ross thinks best.  He knows more about the team and football than anyone else on here so fair play to him. People having a dig that it's only one year though I think need to get a grip.  Jack Ross has shown he has a great eye for talent so whatever contract length he has agreed I'd assume wouldn't be overlay questioned. 

4 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

I'm glad Jack has been signed up - that's three of the five top defenders at the club signed up (come on Gary Mack and Stelios - get them pens out).

1 minute ago, PaisleySaint17 said:

If MacKenzie and Davis both sign, it would be the first time in a long time we've had 3 quality CB's. next step is getting billy the fish to sign. 

FFS - how could I forget about Davis! In total agreement PS17 - get the six signed - the fish makes the Magnificent Seven!

On 5/11/2017 at 2:13 PM, bazil85 said:

I think the mocking, is more aimed at the comment he's already been tipped as a future Scotland international.  Can't see how that can be true.

Personally I would not of been fussed if he was let go this summer but I'm happy to go with what Jack Ross thinks best.  He knows more about the team and football than anyone else on here so fair play to him. People having a dig that it's only one year though I think need to get a grip.  Jack Ross has shown he has a great eye for talent so whatever contract length he has agreed I'd assume wouldn't be overlay questioned. 

You made your feelings clear about Jack some time ago mate. He has now been given a new contract, but a shorter one than I imagine the club would have liked, as Jack keeps his options open. Regarding international honours, I wouldn't be surprised if he graduated towards that sort of level eventually if he keeps improving. Still a very young player for a defender, and has done exceptionally well for his age, improving all the time.

Time will tell I suppose.

Edited by Soctty

12 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Jack Baird is a good young centre back who is still improving. Why the desire to mock him? Has great potential, despite a few grumbling voices on here, some of whom seem peeved at being proven wrong regarding his being handed a new contract...

I wasn't mocking him.  I'm happy with the contract extension as he is a good young player with room to develop.  

I am sure Jack, like any young player, wants to play at the highest level he can. If we win the League he may stay with us for the Premiership. If I was with a Championship Club I would only consider a 1 year deal at his age.

18 minutes ago, Soctty said:

You made your feelings clear about Jack some time ago mate. He has now been given a new contract, but a shorter one than I imagine the club would have liked, as Jack keeps his options open. Regarding international honours, I wouldn't be surprised if he graduated to that level eventually. Still a very young player for a defender, and has done exceptionally well for his age, improving all the time.

Time will tell I suppose.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on players, him signing a contract doesn't change that but if it's good enough for the club then fair play.  I am pretty sure the one year deal was the clubs choice, give him a year to see if he can hold down a permanent place and develop into a solid center back.  Something I don't think he would have done if not for Davis injury. I think if Baird was offered a 2 or 3 year deal at this club playing regularly he'd of bitten Jack Ross hand off.  More than likely he's been offered a deal and said he'll have to fight for his place against 2 or 3 other center backs. 

As for international level, he may develop to that level but could say that about any youngster at the club. There's no signs from what I've seen that he's developing to that level. Wherever that's came from, I for one don't know. 

Just now, bazil85 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on players, him signing a contract doesn't change that but if it's good enough for the club then fair play.  I am pretty sure the one year deal was the clubs choice, give him a year to see if he can hold down a permanent place and develop into a solid center back.  Something I don't think he would have done if not for Davis injury. I think if Baird was offered a 2 or 3 year deal at this club playing regularly he'd of bitten Jack Ross hand off.  More than likely he's been offered a deal and said he'll have to fight for his place against 2 or 3 other center backs. 

As for international level, he may develop to that level but could say that about any youngster at the club. There's no signs from what I've seen that he's developing to that level. Wherever that's came from, I for one don't know. 

You were sure Baird wouldn't get a deal though. You were also adamant he wasn't good enough. You're now sure the club were only prepared to offer him a 1 year deal, and that the player had no say in it. Forgive me, but I'm not backing your judgement on this...

I doubt the 1 year deal is to do with seeing if he can hold down a permanent place as I'm expecting the club to try to keep both McKenzie and Davis, who will be ahead of Jack in the pecking order, and whom he can learn from and develop, but still hopefully push for a place.

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

You were sure Baird wouldn't get a deal though. You were also adamant he wasn't good enough. You're now sure the club were only prepared to offer him a 1 year deal, and that the player had no say in it. Forgive me, but I'm not backing your judgement on this...

I doubt the 1 year deal is to do with seeing if he can hold down a permanent place as I'm expecting the club to try to keep both McKenzie and Davis, who will be ahead of Jack in the pecking order, and whom he can learn from and develop, but still hopefully push for a place.

I wasn't sure he wouldn't get a deal, in fact I thought he likely would.  I said I wouldn't of given him a new deal and that view hasn't changed but that's not my call just my opinion which is what an online forum is all about.  I'm happy to have some faith in Jack Ross and Jack Baird though and hope he does well.  I don't see any reason why he wouldn't sign a longer deal if offered.  Not heard anyone else interested in him and he'll probably be the first person to put his hands up and say last season could of been better for him. 

My opinion is that we need a strong solid center back pairing starting this season. Is that Jack Baird with someone else? Possibly, possibly not. There's no denying McKenzie and Davis were our strongest pairing this season

Just now, bazil85 said:

I wasn't sure he wouldn't get a deal, in fact I thought he likely would.  I said I wouldn't of given him a new deal and that view hasn't changed but that's not my call just my opinion which is what an online forum is all about.  I'm happy to have some faith in Jack Ross and Jack Baird though and hope he does well.  I don't see any reason why he wouldn't sign a longer deal if offered.  Not heard anyone else interested in him and he'll probably be the first person to put his hands up and say last season could of been better for him. 

My opinion is that we need a strong solid center back pairing starting this season. Is that Jack Baird with someone else? Possibly, possibly not. There's no denying McKenzie and Davis were our strongest pairing this season

McKenzie and Davis were our strongest pairing this season - there's no disputing that. It'll be those two hopefully next season, or Mack and another experienced centre back. You seem to have a very short sighted view on things though.

Jack Baird was thrust into the first team as a regular at 19, at the end of our relegation season. He's had 3 different managers since then, each with different approach and ethos. He is not the finished article, but the only way he'll become a better player is by learning from experienced pros who are able to guide him and lend their experience. The backing of fans is also important.

Andy Webster, for all his experience, is not a leader. The experience of playing alongside him won't have been a help to Jack. Beside McKenzie he's been a different player. He can be the future of our club in defence, and if he does that, and we do well he'll go onto bigger and better things. He's got the tools to do it, now needs to kick on.

7 minutes ago, Soctty said:

McKenzie and Davis were our strongest pairing this season - there's no disputing that. It'll be those two hopefully next season, or Mack and another experienced centre back. You seem to have a very short sighted view on things though.

Jack Baird was thrust into the first team as a regular at 19, at the end of our relegation season. He's had 3 different managers since then, each with different approach and ethos. He is not the finished article, but the only way he'll become a better player is by learning from experienced pros who are able to guide him and lend their experience. The backing of fans is also important.

Andy Webster, for all his experience, is not a leader. The experience of playing alongside him won't have been a help to Jack. Beside McKenzie he's been a different player. He can be the future of our club in defence, and if he does that, and we do well he'll go onto bigger and better things. He's got the tools to do it, now needs to kick on.

Hope you're right, I'm still seeing a player that lumps the ball out the park under minimal (or no) pressure, isn't overlay confident on the ball or passing and who's positioning is very questionable.  It's done now, the season will be make or break for him I believe.  Hopefully the first. 

I'd have loved to see Jack sign for longer, but not sure whether offered and declined or only offered 1 year. Thinking about it from the club perspective for a moment I would think it's more likely we offered just 1 year on a couple of points.

Firstly we are still trying to re-sign our other centre half and Jack Ross will have other targets for the squad which could result in Baird being a backup only.

Secondly if we offered Baird a 2 year deal I think that he would have been entitled to leave at end of the 2 years with the club getting no compensation, whereas if he goes at end of next season we would get some compensation and could be in a good position to get him to commit to a longer term deal.

11 minutes ago, madball said:

I'd have loved to see Jack sign for longer, but not sure whether offered and declined or only offered 1 year. Thinking about it from the club perspective for a moment I would think it's more likely we offered just 1 year on a couple of points.

Firstly we are still trying to re-sign our other centre half and Jack Ross will have other targets for the squad which could result in Baird being a backup only.

Secondly if we offered Baird a 2 year deal I think that he would have been entitled to leave at end of the 2 years with the club getting no compensation, whereas if he goes at end of next season we would get some compensation and could be in a good position to get him to commit to a longer term deal.

Very good point, didn't think about that. Puts the club in a stronger negotiating position next year if he does well. 

1 year deal is probably the correct decision.  I have no doubt Baird would have jumped at a two year deal if offered.  He ended the season strongly, but there were points in the very recent past where he looked like an utter bombscare.

I'll whatever drugs the above posters discussing international honours are on.  Must be some strong stuff.

Baird will be a great 3rd choice defender, hoepfully with MacKenzie and Davis the first two.  Hopefully he can develop and actually learn how to play a pass over the course of the season. 

34 minutes ago, madball said:

Very good points. You're clearly far too rational and sensible to post on here.

3 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Which pundits have stated JB could be a "possible full international"? Or is that just the voices in your head?

I certainly heard one Sportsound pundit - and no Chick Young - claim this very thing earlier in the season. 

Can't remember who it was.