John Hughes

Damming article in today's Herald regarding his public slating of Raith Players which started after we thumped Raith. Remember at the time thinking it was too strong and that he would lose the dressing room. Would he have been so critical if on a longer contract ? Can anyone confirm he knocked back the St Mirren job. 

57 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Damming article in today's Herald regarding his public slating of Raith Players which started after we thumped Raith. Remember at the time thinking it was too strong and that he would lose the dressing room. Would he have been so critical if on a longer contract ? Can anyone confirm he knocked back the St Mirren job. 

If he did, I'm glad.

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I believe that he said publicly , that he wasn't interested in the Saint Mirren FC job. However , I don't think he was interviewed for the post . .

I like big Yogi and i have to say , i would have been among those who would have been reasonably happy to have had him as our boss. However, as far as this issue is concerned, although he may well have been right in his opinion of his players , he demonstrated very poor management skills in what he said publicly and how he said it.

In hindsight , we dodged a Bullet here. Yogi has made a right royal James Hunt of himself and will have done his future job prospects no good at all .

The manager picks the team & decides the tactics so unless it always seems like the final option when the manager lays into his team. Having said that everyone accepted it was a woeful performance by Rovers and it was make or break for Yogi/Raith. No real sympathy 'cos if they had stayed up it would've been us in the playoffs.

If rumours are to be believed disharmony had been bubbling under for a while & apparently there were words between Hughes and the players after Brechin beat them! :argue:

Edited by Bud the Baker

There were some who actually claimed it was an "honest, passionate, heart on the sleeve" interview.

I said at the time it was ill-conceived, badly thought out, (if thought out at all), and would likely affect the players. It wouldn't surprise me if that sort of attitude was one of the big contributory factors in the collapse.

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Honest, passionate, heart on the sleeve comments tend to be ill-conceived, badly thought out and affect those being commented upon.

Whether it's the right way to do things depends a lot on the accuracy of the statements and the attitudes of those being commented upon.

Any GOOD manager says these things inhouse. Not blasting all and sundry in the media spotlight. He could have still got his message across without the open annihilation of his entire squad by claiming they thought they were better than the were. No manager can expect a team to work for him when he decides to deflect from his inadequacies by attacking his players.

10 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

So when you said the bit below you were actually saying that if he had said those ill-conceived, badly thought out things in private then it wouldn't affect the players?

Any player can accept criticism when they know they've underachieved. Not being openly lambasted in public. And waiting to tell them means the manager has time to find the right way to tell them they've let themselves down. Still saying much the same but in a more controlled manner and maybe with some constructive input.

Any GOOD manager says these things inhouse. Not blasting all and sundry in the media spotlight. He could have still got his message across without the open annihilation of his entire squad by claiming they thought they were better than the were. No manager can expect a team to work for him when he decides to deflect from his inadequacies by attacking his players.

Maybe, erm, glossing over his own inadequacies

40 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Always, but that's irrelevant.

I'm trying to figure out if you think it's what he said or where he said it that's the issue, as you seem to be changing your mind. You originally said that it was his comments then you said he should have said it in private.

It's not WHAT he said. It is the way he said it, the omitting of his part and when he said it. He could have got his message across quietly and in private discussing any issues with the players he felt were underachieving. Instead he went over the top with public recriminations without admitting he had a fair bit to do with the inadequate performances.

Honest, passionate, heart on the sleeve comments tend to be ill-conceived, badly thought out and affect those being commented upon.

Whether it's the right way to do things depends a lot on the accuracy of the statements and the attitudes of those being commented upon.

Who can forget Kevin Megan's rant on Match of the Day. [emoji34]

• 3 years later...