Saint Mirren top 11 legends. .

8 minutes ago, shull said:

Still waiting on.Ferguson bringing his WORLD FAMOUS MONEYSPINNING MANCHESTER FECKING UNITED to St Mirren Park for a friendly to help our his old Team 

Could have done with some help , especially during the 1990's. 

Played many Matches against other Scottish Clubs over the decades. 

The Saints fans idolised him. 

Probably to do with the way he left, he still holds us very dear....

We could beat Joses lot

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

he still holds us very dear....

No he didn't. 

He took his Team all over Scotland. 

Clyde, Dumbarton, Livingston and many many more. 

He did not give one feck about St Mirren and the St Mirren fans who idolised him 

31 minutes ago, shull said:

No he didn't. 

He took his Team all over Scotland. 

Clyde, Dumbarton, Livingston and many many more. 

He did not give one feck about St Mirren and the St Mirren fans who idolised him 

He has no problem with St Mirren fans. Not in my experience anyway.

19 minutes ago, jpmslither said:

Going 4-4-2 with my favourites.....

Thompson
Clarke
Copeland
Reid
Munro
Stark
Aber
Fitz
Weir
Somner
McGarvey

I look at this team and I think .... brilliant!  Then I think about the players from when I first watched the Buds.  Were Jimmy Brown and Campbell Forsyth as good as or better than Billy Thompson, Was Willie Fulton as good as I remember at sweeper.  What about a winger, Jimmy Robertson whose transfer fees were worth over £2M in todays money or Bobby McKean who could be untouchable on his day. Then the greats that played as inside forwards, Tommy Bryceland who would have had a bundle of Scottish caps if he hadn't the misfortune to be around when John White (the greatest Scot I've seen play) was strutting his stuff, Tommy Gemmell and Ally McLeod both sublime left footed maestros. Mind you I think Doug Somner is the best centre forward I've seen for the Saints just shading Gerry Baker. I often wonder if we could have afforded him if he was a full time player.  We've been fortunate to see some rare players over the years in the black and white (as long as we draw a veil over the mid 60's and the early 70's).

1 hour ago, rabuddies said:

.  We've been fortunate to see some rare players over the years in the black and white (as long as we draw a veil over the mid 60's and the early 70's).

If you draw a veil over the early 70s then you ignore Ally McLeod's four goals at Ibrox , the stuff legends are made of , as only he and Alan Gilzean ever achieved it !

7 minutes ago, billyg said:

If you draw a veil over the early 70s then you ignore Ally McLeod's four goals at Ibrox , the stuff legends are made of , as only he and Alan Gilzean ever achieved it !

I was thinking more about 73/74 which was our worst ever season in Scottish football when we finished 29th in the combined league.  We took a few hammerings that season from teams that are still in the bottom league today.

Favourites are strikers McGarvey, Sumner and Torforson.  Wingers Scanlon could be a genius. Midfielders have to include Tony F, Abba and Lambert.  Half backs include Jackie Copland and Norrie McWhirter. Full backs include Becket and Young. Goalkeepers include Thomson.

Edited by St.Ricky

16 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Favourites are strikers McGarvey, Sumner and Tormarton.  Wingers Scanlon could be a genius and still enrage. Midfielders have to include Tony F, Abba and Lambert.  Half backs include Jackie Coolant and Morris McWhirter. Full backs include Becket and Young. Goalkeepers include Thomson.

Now i`m looking at the post thinking , am i missing the jokes or puns in it or has your autocorrect just had some sort of digital aneurysm ?

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

He has no problem with St Mirren fans. Not in my experience anyway.

I can remember a game at love st, not long after he left us,  we scored a late goal to equalise 2-2 I think, I was at the back of the stand, where a large group of St Mirren fans were jeering Fergie as he left the ground alone in tears, most were thinking the late goal must have really hurt him, and found it quite amusing, I found it very sad that they could jeer the great man, a short while later Toshie told us Fergie had just been informed his dad had died,  :(  am not so sure we endeared ourselves as fans that night,  does anyone one else remember that night

13 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Whatabout this line up, I've seen all of M play for Saints.......

Money

Munro

McQueen

McWhirter

Mclaughlin

McGinn J

Millen

Mallen

McGinn S

McGarvey

McDougall

Subs: Marshall, McNamee, McAvennie, Martin, McGowan P., Murray, McDowell.

Mirren Marvels

1 hour ago, billyg said:

First player I thought of for my Legends Team

21 hours ago, class of 76-77 said:

I change my mind every time I think about the team but hear goes.

Thompson

Clarke

munro

fitzy

Bobby Reid

Copland 

McGarvey

Stark

McAvennie 

Somner

Scanlon

subs McKean, McDougall,Weir,Richardson,Guni,Victor, 

Canny ague with the first eleven. The only player I wouldn't have there is McDougall  would have Basher instead of him.

18 hours ago, billyg said:

My favourite all time player And don't forget Gordon McQueen, Bobby McKean Iain Munro and your icon John Dickson!!