Saint Mirren top 11 legends. .

3 minutes ago, Barney63 said:

He used to pop into Ferguslie CC regularly where me and my pals played endless football kickabouts and was always great to us despite us pestering him.  Met him  few times as I got older and he was always happy to have a chat.  Is he a Hall of Famer?  Scandal if he isn't.

He was my favourite defender. Tough as teak. As far as I recall JC is now in the hall if fame.

3 minutes ago, Barney63 said:

He used to pop into Ferguslie CC regularly where me and my pals played endless football kickabouts and was always great to us despite us pestering him.  Met him  few times as I got older and he was always happy to have a chat.  Is he a Hall Famer?  Scandal if he isn't.

Yes , similarly l also met him when l was a kid with my pals and  again always happy to have a chat and sign autographs . A great player and a great ambassador for the Club .  In some ways Goodwin reminds me of Jackie. .

12 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

He was my favourite defender. Tough as teak. As far as I recall JC is now in the hall if fame.

7 hours ago, billyg said:

Connaghan

Beckett

H McLaughlin

Abercromby

McFadden

Copland

McKean

McLeod

Kane

Blair

Scanlon

Most of those guys are legends , the kind of players you just don't see today apart from maybe a couple of the guys who won us the League Cup but back then it also seemed were able to hang onto our stars. .

This thread is a great read. Most of the guys named were playing before I was born. One of the things that saddens me is that this is how football used to be before money became so important. Various clubs had the talented players back then, competition both in Scotland and Europe were fiercer and more variable. I would love to have seen these days before football become so monopolised. As soon as we produce someone with potential he's out of the door. It's nice to know football wasn't always like this and many of our fans seen some incredible players wearing the black and white for us.

Sticking to whom I have seen, and using my own definition of ‘legend’, here’s mine. This is not a best XI, just who I personally class as above just being talented, good, a trier, decent, whatever....

Ferguson (manager), Ferguson (1987 cup hero), SG (for sticking to it for the long haul while other clubs had complete shysters in charge), Reid, Fitzpatrick, Richardson, Stark, Beckett, McGarvey, Torrance, Scanlon, Weir, Abercromby, Young, Hyslop, Thomson, Money, Ludo, Basher, Yards, Guni, Shuggie, Trigger, Turner, Gillies, Victor, DVZ, Sutton, Thommo, Sammy, Goody, Lewis Morgan, Jack ‘Mackem’ Ross, Isma, Frankie Boy McAvennie, McWhirter, Somner, Copland, Jimmy Bone, the Paisley Pandas who were pwoper naughty....

I may have missed some names. Might come back to this.

Edited by pozbaird
Edited to add Copland, Somner, Bone.

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Sticking to whom I have seen, and using my own definition of ‘legend’, here’s mine. This is not a best XI, just who I personally class as above just being talented, good, a trier, decent, whatever....

Ferguson (manager), Ferguson (1987 cup hero), SG (for sticking to it for the long haul while other clubs had complete shysters in charge), Reid, Fitzpatrick, Richardson, Stark, Beckett, McGarvey, Torrance, Scanlon, Weir, Abercromby, Young, Hyslop, Thomson, Money, Ludo, Basher, Yards, Guni, Shuggie, Trigger, Turner, Gillies, Victor, DVZ, Sutton, Thommo, Sammy, Goody, Lewis Morgan, Jack ‘Mackem’ Ross, Isma, Frankie Boy McAvennie, McWhirter, the Paisley Pandas who were pwoper naughty....

Might add McDougall.  Copeland.  Bone J.  

19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Ferguson (manager), Ferguson (1987 cup hero), SG (for sticking to it for the long haul while other clubs had complete shysters in charge), Reid, Fitzpatrick, Richardson, Stark, Beckett, McGarvey, Torrance, Scanlon, Weir, Abercromby, Young, Hyslop, Thomson, Money, Ludo, Basher, Yards, Guni, Shuggie, Trigger, Turner, Gillies, Victor, DVZ, Sutton, Thommo, Sammy, Goody, Lewis Morgan, Jack ‘Mackem’ Ross, Isma, Frankie Boy McAvennie, McWhirter, the Paisley Pandas who were pwoper naughty....

Neeeeewtttttttttton!? Just for that goal.

29 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

This thread is a great read. Most of the guys named were playing before I was born. One of the things that saddens me is that this is how football used to be before money became so important. Various clubs had the talented players back then, competition both in Scotland and Europe were fiercer and more variable. I would love to have seen these days before football become so monopolised. As soon as we produce someone with potential he's out of the door. It's nice to know football wasn't always like this and many of our fans seen some incredible players wearing the black and white for us.

Exactly right Cornwall. Desmond White,  Now long dead Chairman of Celtic saw TV as a very mixed blessing which could take the live audience away from football and take over the game. The Bosman rulling then changed the dynamics of the relationship between club and player and shifted this in favour of the player.  Freedom of movement also made it easier for players to move abroad or to come here.  Wage caps were abolished and we now have Ronaldo asking Real Madrid for 1.35 million quid a week.  Free Market Economics gone to the extreme to the cost of local clubs and those in  smaller leagues. 

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

To be fair Clarke could definitely have argued a case for right back. He was arguably the best, but Alex Beckett was one of my favourite players and Tommy Wilson was a cup winning legend (as well as a cracking marauding right back).

Will never forget Alex Beckett's goal at Parkhead. 

Beckett has got better by time it seems

There's no doubt his only goal was what dreams are made of

Paints a different story from what i remember

Took plenty abuse although NOT alone in that case

MacDougall and Stark got the same,deemed lazy and uninterested

IMO Beckett and Young were the weak links in our greatest ever side especially when we played Sellic

They got ripped apart with Copland and Thompson trying to stem the flow

Billy Thomson

Iain Nicolson

Iain Munro

Roy Aitken

Jackie Copland

Billy Abercrombie

Ian Ferguson

Frank McAvennie

Iain Scanlon

Frank McGarvey 

Frank McDougall

Subs

Campbell Money

Stevie Clarke

Tommy Turner

Lex Richardson

Mark Fulton

Barry Lavety

Doug Somner. 

3 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

Beckett has got better by time it seems

There's no doubt his only goal was what dreams are made of

Paints a different story from what i remember

Took plenty abuse although NOT alone in that case

MacDougall and Stark got the same,deemed lazy and uninterested

IMO Beckett and Young were the weak links in our greatest ever side especially when we played Sellic

Not far off in your summary.  But...... The goal was special.  I had my two young sons and two of their pals with me who celebrated loudly in the main stand. A Celtic fan complained about the noise and actually told me that he went to the game for peace and quiet.  Unforgettable. 

21 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

Thomson was the weak link IMO , he certainly was responsible for our greatest ever squad being denied a Scottish Cup Final place , following an horrendous goalkeeping display in the semi-final replay at Dens.

2 hours ago, billyg said:

Thomson was the weak link IMO , he certainly was responsible for our greatest ever squad being denied a Scottish Cup Final place , following an horrendous goalkeeping display in the semi-final replay at Dens.

You could argue he saved us in the first game with a string of fine saves

Not trying to defend him for the replay he throw the 3 goals in the net