Evan Horne signs

9 hours ago, GWPanda said:

Hi lads, dont usually post on this forum just like to give it a read but ive been reading this discussion today about this young lad, i think all of you are being very very harsh, nobody is giving this young boy a chance what so ever comparing him to his older brother and his experience at the club, fair enough the young lad shouldve probably just kept his views to himself about lastnights attack but i really think what he tweeted has been took far far out of context by most of you as ive seen from various sources hes apologised as he did not mean for it to come across like that he simply used the words wrong and did not once mention the EDL, definetely think this young lad should be given more of a chance as at the end of the day JR wouldnt have signed him if he wasnt a talent, far to harsh to compare him to his older brother as ive looked through his twitter and doesnt seem to be anything like him. Heard he is a very very level headed young man who is local from renfrew also so is now at his local team so lets give the lad a chance eh? He's young and has probably realised now he made a small mistake, let him learn.

The bit in bold... C'mon. That won't wash.

I also disagree that people have been harsh - I think most have just criticised the statement, and most are happy to let him stay if he learns from his mistake.

I think it's fair to say that four things need to happen:

1) Evan deletes the tweet, which he has done (as an aside, there were other bits and pieces on his account as well but nothing as bad as that one - I assume he's wisely had a clearout).

2) He gets told by the club that it's not acceptable - I trust that will happen (or has done so).

3) He listens to that advice and learns from his mistake. The internet is a tough place and his tweet was 100% unacceptable, but if he never does it again and realises some people aren't worth listening to, then he's worth backing.

4) He knuckles down, works hard, and proves his worth to the club, like you'd hope any other 18 year old with an amazing opportunity would do.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Back in the olden times, Young Evan would have said something of this ilk in training and been slapped down by someone older and wiser. That was a young person's filter. There's no filter now to moderate or educate on idiotic comments before they go public. 

This ^^^. If you choose the internet as your forum, then the internet will provide the slapdown.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Unfortunately we're in an era where the young and stupid use social media to air their views without censor. 

Back in the olden times, Young Evan would have said something of this ilk in training and been slapped down by someone older and wiser. That was a young person's filter. There's no filter now to moderate or educate on idiotic comments before they go public. 

In this instance I'd imagine the club will haul him in and give him a good talking to. Make it clear that any future conduct won't be tolerated. There's no way we should habitually cover for him but then this is not a habitual problem yet. 

Hear everything you are saying, but we do know it is a general view on religion/race held by other family members too. The reputation of the club is much more important than that of one of its employees extremist views. Like I said big decision for the club.

Edit: Evan is posting inflammatory messages whilst the army (fully armed) is being deployed on our streets. I ask in all sincerity, who needs it?

Edited by Lord Pityme

30 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Big decision time for the club!

Is this lad worth trying to correct?

Of course he's worth trying to correct.

One of our ex players had Facebook page full of sectarian nonsense (no worse than the others that made the papers) when he was on he verge of breaking into the first team. He deleted everything, screwed the nut and he grew up into a nice young man and could still earn us a pretty penny with his sell on clause.

2 minutes ago, davidg said:

Of course he's worth trying to correct.

One of our ex players had Facebook page full of sectarian nonsense (no worse than the others that made the papers) when he was on he verge of breaking into the first team. He deleted everything, screwed the nut and he grew up into a nice young man and could still earn us a pretty penny with his sell on clause.

So its a different rule for footballers posting racially inflammatory statements?

if the media down south catch on to it, like Katie Hopkins, Evan and his employers will get pelters. 22 people died, many have life threatening injuries, and armed troops are being deployed on our streets as we post. Aye poor Evan.

Edited by Lord Pityme

29 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So its a different rule for footballers posting racially inflammatory statements?

if the media down south catch on to it, like Katie Hopkins, Evan and his employers will get pelters. 22 people died, many have life threatening injuries, and armed troops are being deployed on our streets as we post. Aye poor Evan.

I haven't seen his comments on twitter so have no idea what he said nor have I said it should be different rules. All I have said is that perhaps the young guy should be educated and given a chance. Every human being is worth giving a chance and "try to correct" as you put it.

Yes 22 people died in an awful terror attack, no need to patronise with the poor Evan remark as I've not said anything like "poor Evan".

Edited by davidg

26 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Katie Hopkins would probably agree with what he posted.

given that the matter has been reported to the owner and the offensive tweet removed, can we not just let this settle a bit now?

many of us older fans could expose people on this forum that we know who made racist or sectarian comments in their distant youth, you live and learn.

This was worthy of comment, but there is no need for a blood letting.

The media down South might catch on to a deleted tweet from an 18 year old lower league footballer. Well, they might, but they might not give a fcuk. They might be concentrating on the sickening story itself which is no-where near finished even revealing the identity of victims. The media might be more interested in the critical terror alert and the prospect of the scum who did it not acting alone. They might be more interested in any inter-community tensions that may arise in the Manchester area, and if they DO turn their attention to social media, they may be more interested in the sort of sick Tweets that claimed kids who had been dead for years were missing after the concert in Manchester, re-opening painful memories of bereaved families.

No, on the whole, unless someone deliberately informs the media, maybe the Scottish media in particular, then Horne should be safe from widespread national grief dished out in his direction.

What he clearly isn't safe from, is the wider St Mirren support thinking he's a thick tattooed fcukwit who displayed questionable gobshite views at a sensitive time. Just after a tragic event that chose a venue full, mostly, of innocent young girls. Teenagers and wee weans going to see a pop singer. FFS doesn't do the actions of that cnut justice.

The ball is firmly in Horne's court. At present, I certainly have him marked as #thichasfcuk. Doesn't mean I want him drummed out of the club. Far from it, I'd rather see him given a chance and a fair go, ball is in his court though.... he brought it upon himself.

Edited by pozbaird

29 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Katie Hopkins would probably agree with what he posted.

Thats what i meant.

on a different note what are saints fans who may be muslim or have muslim relatives to make of our recent signings established viewpoint? That Evan wants them out of the country? Because that is what he is signposting on twitter.

a great example to young saints fans, and no doubt a big Katie Hopkins follower too! Maybe someone can ask Evan what type of Solution he advocates.

Edited by Lord Pityme

35 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Talk about a can of worms. I read the tweet a few times where does the EDL come into it ? To me it's a young man showing his emotions rightly or wrongly bottom line is 18. Give some slack. 

This Tommy Robinson character is a nasty piece of filth. It is toxic, bigoted, and pernicious stuff, Ian. The lad is now an employee of St Mirren and, therefore, an ambassador for the club.

If I'd posted something in support of Robinson on Twitter, I'd expect contact from my professional regulatory body, and, most likely, a sanction.

For me, people are entirely justified in highlighting this so it can hopefully get nipped in the bud. In terms of a can of worms, it is the lad himself who opened it, and he is wholly responsible for what he puts out there. His age isn't an excuse.

Edited by Drew

1 minute ago, Drew said:

This Tommy Robinson character is a nasty piece of filth. It is toxic, bigoted, and pernicious stuff, Ian. The lad is now an employee of St Mirren and, therefore, and ambassador for the club.

If I'd posted something in support of Robinson on Twitter, I'd expect contact from my professional regulatory body, and, most likely, a sanction.

For me, people are entirely justified in highlighting this so it can hopefully get nipped in the bud. In terms of a can of worms, it is the lad himself who opened it, and he is wholly responsible for what he puts out there. His age isn't an excuse.

Hugely disappointing remarks from the boy. Needs a kick up the arse.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

This Tommy Robinson character is a nasty piece of filth. It is toxic, bigoted, and pernicious stuff, Ian. The lad is now an employee of St Mirren and, therefore, an ambassador for the club.

Had no idea who this guy is Drew. 

I personally would have sacked him over this. We are a club who through the years have had players and fans of all races and religions, including Muslim, and this guy is putting it right out there that he thinks these people shouldn't even be in the country, and expressing his support for a violent extremist? That's really poor, and not something we need at the club.

29 minutes ago, norman said:

I personally would have sacked him over this. We are a club who through the years have had players and fans of all races and religions, including Muslim, and this guy is putting it right out there that he thinks these people shouldn't even be in the country, and expressing his support for a violent extremist? That's really poor, and not something we need at the club.

Contractually, there is probably a process of various warning stages before an employee could be sacked.

Whether a highly dubious Tweet could be considered as bringing the club into disrepute (not least as he is just in the door and could possibly claim a degree of ignorance/stupidity) as to warrant dismissal is probably doubtful.

23 minutes ago, scottd said:

A Final one I'd imagine.:o

The Club doesn't need haters. What effect would/will his presence have if we sign/ attempt to sign a muslim player? Is he going to ask that his teammate is shipped out of the country? I dont buy the little boy lost routine, extremists are cultivated as we know at a young age. This guy is putting it into the public domain