Cammy Smith

ET ....

Cammy Smith has revealed he had no hesitation leaving the club he supported as a boy in order to team up once again with Jack Ross at St Mirren on a two-year deal.

Smith came through the ranks at Aberdeen, where he used to watch on from the Pittodrie stands as a youngster and dream of turning out for the Dons.

With his chances of regular first-team football with Derek McInnes’s side looking slim though, the striker has had to face up to the prospect that his future lay away from the north-east.

But with a successful loan spell at St Mirren in the second half of last season, the fact that the opportunity to re-join a club where he feels so at home has softened the blow for the 21-year-old.

"When I went back and had meetings with Aberdeen over the summer it was a case of what was best for my career,” Smith said. “I realised I couldn't waste another year sitting on a bench.

"Aberdeen are a massive club, you don't need to tell me that, I'm from Aberdeen, I grew up a fan. But sometimes I think you need to take a step back and look at the big picture.

"Derek McInnes was fine with me and basically agreed that he thought it would be better for me to come and play here.

“The manager here is perfect for me and hopefully we can continue that, but football can change overnight so we just need to take it as it comes. But we are all pulling in the same direction.

"I have a really good relationship with the manager here. This is a good club, a good-sized club, their ambitions are the same as mine so it made sense for me to come here. So hopefully I can find form and help the team do what we want to do this season.

"Coming down here for the last six months of last season made me realise that playing every week and being happy was a big part of it and enjoying my Monday to Friday training.

"I enjoyed my Monday to Friday training at Aberdeen but come the Saturday it could get frustrating.

"Managing to stay up was massive last season and this year we want to be at the opposite end of the table.”

To that end, Smith believes that mounting a challenge for the play-offs should be the very minimum expectation for St Mirren in the coming season.

“It's not an unrealistic target at all,” he said. “I think you need to set your standards high and you need to aim high and I think we're not going to hide away from it, we want to be up there challenging.

"We're not saying that it's 100 per cent going to happen or it's going to be easy but I think that we've got a squad in place, a team and a manager that are good enough to do that.”

One of the main reasons for Smith’s confidence stems from the fact that manager Ross has managed to maintain the core of the side that finished last season so well, as well as making some quality additions.

And the importance of the boss himself deciding to remain in Paisley is not lost on Smith either.

"There are some fresh faces but we've pretty much kept the same team from the second half of last season,” he said.

"We've taken in Gav (Reilly) who is basically a straight swap for Rory (Loy), lost Stevie (Mallan) but we've taken in Jordan (Kirkpatrick) from Alloa and we've taken in big Buckie (Gregor Buchanan) from Dumbarton and one or two others.

"Sammy (Craig Samson) in the goals is a great addition as well.

"Keeping the manager is a really good bit of business as well by the club so the feel-good factor is definitely here and I can't wait to get started.”

• 6 months later...

Crafty bump to pay dues to Cammy Smith. Quietly one of our most influential players. Doesn't attract the plaudits of Morgan or Reilly, but he is a f**king magic player.

Big weekend for him coming up - televised game against the side that 1) he supported as a boy and 2) deemed him surplus to requirements. 

Hope he gets it right round them.

:D

29 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Crafty bump to pay dues to Cammy Smith. Quietly one of our most influential players. Doesn't attract the plaudits of Morgan or Reilly, but he is a f**king magic player.

:D

I concur, and I'm pleased that Jack was evidently paying attention to my initial post:P

Big weekend for him coming up - televised game against the side that 1) he supported as a boy and 2) deemed him surplus to requirements. 
Hope he gets it right round them.
[emoji3]
Phew! When I saw his thread at the top of the pile I feared the worst.

Yep - it will be superb it he runs riot on Saturday in a famous win...

And that's all very possible

There was a bit in yesterday's PDE with him yesterday ahead Saturdays cup game.

I wasn't aware that it was his penalty that Sammo saved, which makes me love him more than before. Though I wouldn't want to celebrate his misfortune.

He then went on to say all his family were Aberdeen fans and my favourite bit was "none of this Old Firm nonsense" brilliant what a guy.

efd685110987a0891b90ecbf42de48e9.jpg

Not good enough for Dundee Utd though [emoji38] as they prefer deadbeats like Billy King and Paul McMullen.
It's no coincidence we were rotten at home against Dumbarton at the start of December when Cammy Smith was unavailable.

And if I recall correctly, several Utd posters on P&B think only Lewis would make their starting line up.....

About 6 months ago a central heating engineer was fixing the heating and he was an Aberdeen fan.

He spotted I was on this site and immediately mentioned Smith.

His view was he had great potential, and it's looking like we've given him the opportunity to prove it.

Love guys like this showing their worth, works hard, gets on with the game and is always there for the team.

Great "signing" and can be pivotal in our success. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him back at his old club at some point in the future - hopefully 3 or 4 years from now and involving a transfer fee.
Aberdeen missed a trick letting the lad go.
I think McInnes must have been feeling guilty about the McLean and Wylde transfers and felt he better square us up.

Guest TPAFKATS

And if I recall correctly, several Utd posters on P&B think only Lewis would make their starting line up.....
Big time charlies would rather pay silly money to skippy [emoji23]

• 6 months later...