Gary Mac - Year Extension

5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Again though at age 31 i would have thought any player would bite your hand off for a two year deal? But at least he will be there at the heart of the defence next season.

Adam Eck and Gary Mac are a month apart in age - AE signed for 2 years, GMac for 1.

Seems likely that Gary was offered a 2 year deal but turned it down. Looking to be playing in the Premiership in 18/19 and if we don't go up... Might also have an eye on a lucrative deal abroad before his career ends.

Anyway, brilliant to have him back for next season.

Absolutely delighted to have Gary with us for (at least) another season. He was my shout for PoTY but I had almost resigned myself to him leaving to play at a higher level, Motherwell are desperate for centre backs and I'd half expected him to go there.  Well done Jack, keep them coming. 

Delighted with this. He was such a big player for us and fantastic to have him signed up for next season. Like that Jack is going about this nice and early. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with a full pre season with the squad 

7 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Very pleased about GMac re-signing, had a real fear a premiership club would make him an offer he couldnt refuse. Sounds like he got the club to sharpen their pencil a bit on the deal, good man. Again though at age 31 i would have thought any player would bite your hand off for a two year deal? But at least he will be there at the heart of the defence next season.

Is it possible to have a half full glass and half empty in the same glass. Seems so. 

As Div, JM1 and Dave The Buddie have mentioned Gary MacKenzie was profitable to follow as an anytime scorer in the second half of last season particularly with bet365 who would have him several points bigger than their competitors. The only problem now is that his headers were often (always?) from corners or free kicks taken by young Mr Mallan, no longer of these parts, so we need someone else who can consistently land the ball on Gary's head for the profits to carry on.

I would encourage everyone who likes a bet to have a look at this next season as it should return a profit. Get him on penalties too!!

41 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

As Div, JM1 and Dave The Buddie have mentioned Gary MacKenzie was profitable to follow as an anytime scorer in the second half of last season particularly with bet365 who would have him several points bigger than their competitors. The only problem now is that his headers were often (always?) from corners or free kicks taken by young Mr Mallan, no longer of these parts, so we need someone else who can consistently land the ball on Gary's head for the profits to carry on.

I would encourage everyone who likes a bet to have a look at this next season as it should return a profit. Get him on penalties too!!

While the cross is important more important is another Saints player blocking The Mac's marker leaving him free to head the ball. Wrote it before wonderful stuff right out the training ground. 

Just echoing the thoughts of others above. Gary was a vital part of our resurgence in the second part of last season, but even before that, when we were struggling, he made so many important interventions and prevented many certain goals from going in. He could definitely play at a higher level, so I was nervous that he wouldn't be with us next season. Disappointed that he's only signed for a year, but who knows what he'll decide to do if we go up or finish in the playoffs?