It was 50 years ago today............................

Bud the Baker

It was 50 years ago today Sgt. Pepper was released in the UK (a week later in the US) in monaural sound configuration.

Amidst the celebrations or otherwise (celebrity detractors include Keith Richards - surprised he remembers 1967) from music fans it's being rereleased in 4 different formats altho' in my personal opinion the trick missed was not reissuing a version with Strawberry Fields & Penny Lane squeezed into the running order - they were omitted as the double-A sided single only reached No. 2 in the charts amidst fears that The Beatles had peaked and were on the slide, George Martin always said he regarded leaving them off the album to be a mistake but he was overuled by Brian Epstein.

Not my favourite Beatles album and probably the one which is most "Paul", in hindsight it might sound a bit cheesy in places but there's no doubt that after Sgt. Pepper there were no rules (source - Dave Crosby?).

All You Need Is Love  :wub:

Edited by Bud the Baker

I've just realised, if I'm correct, that within the space of two days fifty years ago, Celtic won the European Cup, Cumbernauld New Town was officially opened, and the Beatles released Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I don't have a favourite Beatles album. I own them all in those re-mastered editions that came out a while back. I find something in every one. If I were told I could only take the music of one artist to a desert island, it would be the Beatles catalogue - no contest.

C*ltic won the European Cup on the back on exploiting sectarianism, bigotry and hatred.

Their violent supporters invaded the pitch at the end (only 5 years prior to this they had invaded the pitch in the Scottish Cup Semi Final when losing heavily to St.Mirren, in an effort to get the game abandoned. This was a regular occurance with these fuilthbags in these days).

Celt*c winning the European Cup is a testament to intolerance, bigotry, hatred and violence in Scotland.

Its not something that should be celebrated. Its a blight on Scottish history and a blight on Scottish society.

Sevco shouldn't have been allowed to enter the league. If the authorities had done the right thing when they had the chance then C*lt*c would now be dying a slow death.

Edited by mcdowell76

Admittedly Celtic fans invaded the pitch at the end, something that happened quite often in those days and in this case purely for celebratory causes. They had, of course tried to have the semi against Saints abandoned at Ibrox and no doubt similar scenes happened in other games. In a European semi final in England, Celtic had a goal improperly ruled out which caused their fans to throw missiles at other fans and on to the park. Neither of those games were abandoned and Celtic lost both. I find it astonishing that their fans today seem to think of that club as being "more than a club" (stolen from Barcelona, just as their anthem is stolen from Liverpool). As a youngster I had seen every other team in the league except Celtic and Rangers at Love St, the reason being - and I`m sure this resonates with many of my age group - their fans throw bottles around and its not safe for children. That and drunken loudmouth behaviour which reflected the type of upbringing the supporters of both these clubs ( not all of them I hasten to add) experienced.

Whatever Saints, and every other provincial clubs shortcomings are, we can at least hold our heads up high safe in the knowledge that sectarianism and bullying are not present through our clubs histories. Rangers previously made no bones about their policies and rather squirm when it is brought to attention. Nowadays because these policies are completely unacceptable, they have changed their ways, both the club and the majority of its supporters. Celtic,on the other hand, like to portray themselves as "open to all", as if this is an amazing thing to do. Every other club in the country  - Rangers apart - has always been thus. What the other clubs have not done though is try to corner the market of a particular code of religion, RCs, and make out as if it represents that part of society. Utter hypocrites, but continues unabated to this day in the interests of making money. I almost forgot. Managing to win all those trophies and yet the country and particularly the referees are all biased against them ! The mind boggles.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:07 AM, mcdowell76 said:

C*ltic won the European Cup on the back on exploiting sectarianism, bigotry and hatred.

Their violent supporters invaded the pitch at the end (only 5 years prior to this they had invaded the pitch in the Scottish Cup Semi Final when losing heavily to St.Mirren, in an effort to get the game abandoned. This was a regular occurance with these fuilthbags in these days).

Celt*c winning the European Cup is a testament to intolerance, bigotry, hatred and violence in Scotland.

Its not something that should be celebrated. Its a blight on Scottish history and a blight on Scottish society.

Sevco shouldn't have been allowed to enter the league. If the authorities had done the right thing when they had the chance then C*lt*c would now be dying a slow death.

Petty to say the least. The fans didn't win the game and any sectarian bias of the playing staff would have been counterproductive.

I look on it as a triumph of a man who was well ahead of his time and took an ALL Scottish, in fact, all West of Scotland, Scottish team to the highest point any club can go.

It's almost up there with the last all Scottish team to win a domestic trophy.

• 2 weeks later...
On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 10:35 PM, Reatham Saint said:

I noticed tonight on the Renfrew Road - opposite Arnold Clark's - a large poster of the Celtic captain holding aloft the European Cup.  Right beside all the Paisley 2021 stuff.  Hmm.

Not anymore.

Caeser and his cup have been uncerimounisly dumped over the big fence.

Hail,Hail.

11 minutes ago, HSS said:

Not anymore.

Caeser and his cup have been uncerimounisly dumped over the big fence.

Hail,Hail.

As I always point out to folk who support C*ltt!c that's sung by the Pirates chorus in PoP when they decide to give up maritime larceny and take up burglary on land - entirely appropriate for that crowd! :pirate

PS - Folk still talk about my Nanki-Poo!

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

As I always point out to folk who support C*ltt!c that's sung by the Pirates chorus in PoP when they decide to give up maritime larceny and take up burglary on land - entirely appropriate for that crowd! :pirate

PS - Folk still talk about my Nanki-Poo!

Doesn't surprise me, the way you behaved in Titipu....