In The Name Of The Wee Man

The last couple of days have had to endure the M8 in rush hour traffic both morning and teatime going West and East.  Really feel for anyone who has to put up with that on a daily basis what a nightmare. There are too many cars for the roads but we all like the freedom having a car so can't see a fix. The new parts of the M8 and M74 are fantastic it has to be said so well done the SNP.

IOB- Considering where your from, you would find most of our B roads busy....

Ok - Here is where I have a massive problem with the goody two shoes SNPs

Drink + Drive limit is a fecking joke, its killing bowling, golf , pubs and social clubs, and its encouraging home drinking.....

In an Independent Scotland I want to be able to have a couple of drinks and drive...............

Edited by DougJamie

The new part of the M74 is fantastic. 

Outwith rush hour it absolutely slashes journey times between Cardonald and the likes of Cambuslang, Rutherglen, Tollcross etc. 

1 minute ago, shull said:

The new part of the M74 is fantastic. 

Outwith rush hour it absolutely slashes journey times between Cardonald and the likes of Cambuslang, Rutherglen, Tollcross etc. 

Ah but its has roadworks for the last 4 months

15 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Drink + Drive limit is a fecking joke, its killing bowling, golf , pubs and social clubs, and its encouraging home drinking.....

In an Independent Scotland I want to be able to have a couple of drinks and drive...............

So, excuse me, I'm struggling here, you're honestly saying if the drink driving limit was raised clubs & pubs would thrive? :lol:

Aye, nae bother. :blink:

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

So, excuse me, I'm struggling here, you're honestly saying if the drink driving limit was raised clubs & pubs would thrive? :lol:

Aye, nae bother. :blink:

Yes they would, in the West Coast anyway, not sure about u Viking lot

11% of accidents on our roads are caused by drivers who have been drinking.

Which means 89% are caused by drivers who have not been drinking.

It's obviously much safer to have a good swally before getting behind the wheel.

11 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Yes they would, in the West Coast anyway, not sure about u Viking lot

Oh dear.

So, you actually believe allowing, what, a couple of pints, would be the saviour of pubs and clubs?

Also, the 11% quoted above, would almost certainly rise and you think your flawed solution to save pubs and clubs is acceptable when people, many innocent, would be injured or killed?

Aye, west coast stone age man lives right enough.

Aye, increase the drink driving limit, lets makes these facts obsolete...............(They are pretty dated so technically are already obsolete but you get the drift)

UK Drink Driving Statistics

Drink Driving Statistics

• On average 3,000 people are killed or seriously injured each year in drink drive collisions.

• Nearly one in six of all deaths on the road involve drivers who are over the legal alcohol limit.

• Drinking and driving occurs across a wide range of age groups but particularly among young men aged 17-29 in both casualties and positive breath tests following a collision. The Government's most recent drink drive campaigns aims to target this group.

• The latest provisional figures from 2004, show that some 590 people were killed in crashes in which a driver was over the legal limit, 2,350 were seriously injured and 14,050 were slightly injured.

• And if you think you won't get caught, more than half a million breath tests are carried out each year and on average 100,000 are found to be positive.

Drinking and Driving Don't Mix

• The legal limit in the UK is 80 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. However, any amount of alcohol affects your ability to drive safely. The effects can include:
          o slower reactions
          o increased stopping distance
          o poorer judgement of speed and distance
          o reduced field of vision

• Alcohol also tends to make you feel over-confident and more likely to take risks when driving, which increases the danger to all road users, including yourself.

• There is no failsafe guide as to how to stay under the legal alcohol limit or how much you can drink and still drive safely. It depends on:
o your weight, sex, age, metabolism
o stress levels
o an empty stomach
o the amount and type of alcohol

• The only safe option is not to drink if you plan to drive. Never offer a drink to someone else who is driving.

The Morning After

• If you've been out drinking you may still be affected by alcohol the next day. You may feel OK, but you may still be unfit to drive or over the legal alcohol limit.

• You could still lose your licence if you drive the next day when you're still over the legal alcohol level.

• It's impossible to get rid of alcohol any faster. A shower, a cup of coffee or other ways of 'sobering up' will not help. It just takes time.

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Never read anything quite so silly in a long time. I enjoy a beer as much as the next person but have learned to live with the new rules. Match days I use public transport. Going out localy walk or take a taxi. Drinking in is more to do with less spending power with wages stagnating while prices rising. For me the limit has been a good thing because I just don't drink and drive at all now. Also alcohol free beer their are plenty to choose from if you have a good landlord. Otter Ferry near me has 8 different alcohol free beer some of which are very good. 

I know if i have more than one pint, my ability to drive lessens. And instead of avoiding killing bowling clubs,golf clubs,social clubs and pubs, i am quite happy to avoid killing adults or children (myself included)

Oh FFS what a lunatic :lol:

1 hour ago, HSS said:

11% of accidents on our roads are caused by drivers who have been drinking.

Which means 89% are caused by drivers who have not been drinking.

It's obviously much safer to have a good swally before getting behind the wheel.

Thats the sort of logic Doug would buy into. :lol:

Guest TPAFKATS

The M8 is busy at peak times as too many people want to use it then. The solution is staggered working hours and home working, not staggering drivers.
Sorry...

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The last couple of days have had to endure the M8 in rush hour traffic both morning and teatime going West and East.  Really feel for anyone who has to put up with that on a daily basis what a nightmare. There are too many cars for the roads but we all like the freedom having a car so can't see a fix. The new parts of the M8 and M74 are fantastic it has to be said so well done the SNP.

I worked out the problem on that motorway a while ago . Aside from the fact that only a two lane motorway links our two major Cities , another major factor is  that drivers no longer know how to merge .So as soon as they see the end of the chevrons on the slip , they either stop or pull right out , the guy on the inside lane dusnae want to slow down , so he pulls out into the next lane causing the traffic to stop/slow down dramatically because they don't know how to safely enter a lane and most times they don't use indicators either . .

The west bound slip at Hillington is so badly abused that they spent a fortune lengthening the slip to try and get the numpties to merge but they are even crossing the line before the end of the chevrons , not merging and causing the traffic to back up for about 2 miles from about 4pm to say around 6;30 on one of the straightest bits of the carriageway. .

Merging should be a compulsory part of the driving test. .

2 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I worked out the problem on that motorway a while ago . Aside from the fact that only a two lane motorway links our two major Cities ,

Albeit, the new M8 section does have 3 lanes for a stretch in addition to the remodelled A8.

Its crazy that they only have 2 lanes for most of the way though. They have 3 lanes for most of the M74 to Carlisle and yet its virtually empty. As soon as a lorry moves out to overtake it just causes a tailback.

I also thought that the average speed cameras on the A8 when they working on the new motorway actually helped the flow of traffic. A big problem is folk driving as fast as they can, too close to the car in front, then braking. The average speed cameras helped the traffic move more smoothly to an extent.

Edited by mcdowell76

2 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I worked out the problem on that motorway a while ago . Aside from the fact that only a two lane motorway links our two major Cities , another major factor is  that drivers no longer know how to merge .So as soon as they see the end of the chevrons on the slip , they either stop or pull right out , the guy on the inside lane dusnae want to slow down , so he pulls out into the next lane causing the traffic to stop/slow down dramatically because they don't know how to safely enter a lane and most times they don't use indicators either . .

The west bound slip at Hillington is so badly abused that they spent a fortune lengthening the slip to try and get the numpties to merge but they are even crossing the line before the end of the chevrons , not merging and causing the traffic to back up for about 2 miles from about 4pm to say around 6;30 on one of the straightest bits of the carriageway. .

Merging should be a compulsory part of the driving test. .

100% agree. Noticed outside Lane stopping and crawling yet there were no road works on the part of motorway that had problems.  While it easy to say the traffic cops should do more to stop and fine with points obviously they are under founded to deal with the problem. Really take my hat off to the calm drivers who don't get worked up with the many who do anything to get a few cars in front. 

50 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

100% agree. Noticed outside Lane stopping and crawling yet there were no road works on the part of motorway that had problems.  While it easy to say the traffic cops should do more to stop and fine with points obviously they are under founded to deal with the problem. Really take my hat off to the calm drivers who don't get worked up with the many who do anything to get a few cars in front. 

Yeh the road can come to a halt for several minutes for no apparent reason , appart from poor merging and incompetant , selfish people , some of whom are crazy. .

White van man and 3 ton truck man are invariably the worst as it is not their vehicle they are using to cut up other people . I did see one guy in a white van intimidating drivers as he weaved his way along ,only for him to be picked up by an unmarked , white , police 5 series . That was rare tho' usually they get away with the dangerous driving . .

On the old A8 , at peak times usually the inside lane became the "fast lane" for some bizarre reason. .

4 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Yeh the road can come to a halt for several minutes for no apparent reason , appart from poor merging and incompetant , selfish people , some of whom are crazy. .

White van man and 3 ton truck man are invariably the worst as it is not their vehicle they are using to cut up other people . I did see one guy in a white van intimidating drivers as he weaved his way along ,only for him to be picked up by an unmarked , white , police 5 series . That was rare tho' usually they get away with the dangerous driving . .

On the old A8 , at peak times usually the inside lane became the "fast lane" for some bizarre reason. .

Glad I got a red van :) seriously 100% right Neil.  Are you coming down in the summer? 

Another classic is when you are hurtling along at 70mph with a safe distance between you and the car in front tho' the car behind is a wee bit close . Suddenly , a car comes tearing up the inside lane and sees the gap infront of your car - if you don't let him in , he will get cross , possibly because he knows he is planning to conduct an illegal , dangerous manoeuvre . .

Don't listen to the sales blurb at the end. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

14 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Must be post of the week, in a week when there was some crackers.

Also, the SNP must be loving your support.

Well done DJ. :lol: