In The Name Of The Wee Man

3 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

The majority of the M8 is a two lane highway . Go drive along it sometime when it is busy , either on a weekday morning or evening . .then you wont be confused by what I've stated . .:wink:

I drive along the road on many occasions at all times of day but you haven't answered as to HOW someone can undertake when you are passing cars that are going slower than you on that inside lane. Why would it matter how many lanes there are? You are still  telling us you are travelling faster than the cars inside and you say cars are able to pass them to get in front of you. Unless that vehicle is either going through those cars or over them it seems impossible.

9 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I drive along the road on many occasions at all times of day but you haven't answered as to HOW someone can undertake when you are passing cars that are going slower than you on that inside lane. Why would it matter how many lanes there are? You are still  telling us you are travelling faster than the cars inside and you say cars are able to pass them to get in front of you. Unless that vehicle is either going through those cars or over them it seems impossible.

Have seen it myself a car further back cuts inside speeds up to get in front then will get back into the outside Lane a few cars up. A few nut cases out there as we have all experienced 

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Have seen it myself a car further back cuts inside speeds up to get in front then will get back into the outside Lane a few cars up. A few nut cases out there as we have all experienced 

Which is all well and good but impossible if you are still overtaking cars. If you have finished the manoeuvre you would be back in the inside lane. It's only possible if you are hogging the middle/outside lane. 

What do you do about vehicles or cycles that are not able to attain the minimum speed limit you propose.

If they can't maintain the minimum speed required then they can't use that stretch of road. There's already provision for that with motorways, kind of anyway.

Guest TPAFKATS

When I read SNLT's post, my interpretation was that while there may have been a temporary gap in traffic in the slow lane, he was in a line of vehicles overtaking slower moving vehicles and having read the road ahead he maintained his road position and lane as opposed to pulling into the gap only to pull out again in a few seconds.

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Oh this should be good.

1. Who would pay for all those cars to have " engine governors " fitted ?

2. What would you govern ? Road speed ,engine speed , horsepower ? 

3. Prevent short burst of speed ..... safety issues galore with that one. Prepare to get sued for that one your greatness !

4. Permanent removal of licence for a breach ? Really ? What about those wonderful machines you've fitted which may be faulty damaged or otherwise f**ked ? do you want the driver ,owner, operator, mechanic or device manufacturers punished ? Which one would you lock up big brother ?!? 

Youve really not thought this through have you ? 

If it's the Black Box you're talking about........

They don't govern anything,they collect information about your driving style and the insurance company then decide if they still want you as a customer.If one Company decides your driving style doesn't suit them you will struggle to find a Company that will take you.

Just now, HSS said:

If it's the Black Box you're talking about........

They don't govern anything,they collect information about your driving style and the insurance company then decide if they still want you as a customer.If one Company decides your driving style doesn't suit them you will struggle to find a Company that will take you.

No , I was specifically referring to Oaksoft stating all cars should be fitted with Engine governors. I've worked in the motor trade all my life and spent seven years in auto diagnostics . I currently work with a world leading company in engine management systems.The technology he refers to is available but as I said , I wanted a bit of clarification as to how he proposed to implement and fund the changes he would impose when he is God. 

8 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

When I read SNLT's post, my interpretation was that while there may have been a temporary gap in traffic in the slow lane, he was in a line of vehicles overtaking slower moving vehicles and having read the road ahead he maintained his road position and lane as opposed to pulling into the gap only to pull out again in a few seconds.

A temporary gap? Really. I must have misread him saying he was "overtaking". How big a gap does it have to be to allow someone to undertake a car travelling at a speed that would be warranted to overtake? When the road ahead is clear, remain in the left lane. If overtaking slower vehicles, return to the left lane once you are safely past.

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

No , I was specifically referring to Oaksoft stating all cars should be fitted with Engine governors. I've worked in the motor trade all my life and spent seven years in auto diagnostics . I currently work with a world leading company in engine management systems.The technology he refers to is available but as I said , I wanted a bit of clarification as to how he proposed to implement and fund the changes he would impose when he is God. 

Sorry Bud,I must have missed his post.

Guest TPAFKATS
A temporary gap? Really. I must have misread him saying he was "overtaking". How big a gap does it have to be to allow someone to undertake a car travelling at a speed that would be warranted to overtake? When the road ahead is clear, remain in the left lane. If overtaking slower vehicles, return to the left lane once you are safely past.

You didn't misread, however it's less safe to pull into the slow lane only to attempt to get back out again in a few hundred yards than it is to maintain lane discipline with the flow of traffic in the overtaking lane.

13 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

You didn't misread, however it's less safe to pull into the slow lane only to attempt to get back out again in a few hundred yards than it is to maintain lane discipline with the flow of traffic in the overtaking lane.

Where in any of the conversations is a point made that there was a situation you describe? IF you are overtaking, you move to the right. When you have completed the manoeuvre you return to the inside lane. If there is a small gap between the car you have just overtaken and the next car then it would be highly unlikely a car could rocket propel itself in front of you if the gap is such that it makes it unsafe to return to the left lane.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If humans were capable of being reasonable when being the wheel of a car then I would understand but drivers are behaving like entitled animals and therefore need nanny state policing.

Driving a car is a privilege. It is not a human right.

I agree.

fortunately I drive a bus and only overtake on blind bends and brows of hills when my passengers encourage me to do so...  with their screams of wholehearted approval...

Edited by antrin

3 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Oh this should be good.

1. Who would pay for all those cars to have " engine governors " fitted ?

2. What would you govern ? Road speed ,engine speed , horsepower ? 

3. Prevent short burst of speed ..... safety issues galore with that one. Prepare to get sued for that one your greatness !

4. Permanent removal of licence for a breach ? Really ? What about those wonderful machines you've fitted which may be faulty damaged or otherwise f**ked ? do you want the driver ,owner, operator, mechanic or device manufacturers punished ? Which one would you lock up big brother ?!? 

Youve really not thought this through have you ? 

If you have already come to a conclusion why waste your time asking the question?

Einstein once said that you should avoid life's Eeyores because they have a problem for every solution.

He is proven to be correct every single day and never more so than on internet forums.

If you have already come to a conclusion why waste your time asking the question?
Einstein once said that you should avoid life's Eeyores because they have a problem for every solution.
He is proven to be correct every single day and never more so than on internet forums.

So we shouldn't question anything from you because you're the authority on the subject? Wonder what Albert would say to that - something like "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" perhaps?

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Ok . So that will be no answers to any of my points ? 

Par for the course !

14 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

So we shouldn't question anything from you because you're the authority on the subject? Wonder what Albert would say to that - something like "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" perhaps?

Where did I tell him he shouldn't question me?

I criticised him, quite rightly, for asking a question and then presumptiously giving his conclusion before I had a chance to answer.

If he already knows the answer to his question, why ask it?

10 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Ok . So that will be no answers to any of my points ? 

Par for the course !

It will be nothing of the sort because I am clearly not answering your original question for the reason I gave above.

But you can interpret my response any other way you want.

It's a free world.

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It will be nothing of the sort because I am clearly not answering your original question for the reason I gave above.

But you can interpret my response any other way you want.

It's a free world.

I would say you aren't answering it because you realise what you had proposed for your reign was , what was it again ? 

Oh aye ......unworkable pish  !

40 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I will.  You do

Fine, fine, whatever.....but on a scale of 1 to 10 I am registering nothing higher than a 2. As an analogy, consider how you would feel if you got to work and someone had coloured in the nipples of the page 3 girl but she wasn't really your type anyway. That's the sort of level which I am calling a two. On the other end of the scale imagine making love to the most beautiful woman you have ever met (without having to pay) but instead of luxuriating in the heavenly moment, your mind is drawn to something I posted which you didn't agree with. Perhaps something along the lines of "pay for your own f**king governor upgrade" for example. That would very much be a 10.

That is as much as I am prepared to admit to.

Edited by oaksoft