Craig Samson

A little bit "meh" for me this one.

I grew to like Samson during his last spell with us, and he was an integral part of the 2013 cup winning team, but for me that ship has now sailed.

He had a poor season at Motherwell last term and is another one who doesn't take command of his area enough. Another puncher.

Perhaps at this level he's as good as we're going to get and I'm being a bit grumpy and unreasonable.

At this level, Samson is a decent keeper. He had a few howlers, but keepers have nowhere to hide, so mistakes are always accentuated. Generally speaking, I thought he did well enough for us. Not a box office signing, but we ain't going to see many if these at this level, I'm afraid.

The lad Stewart that we've brought in looks a decent prospect, so we should be covered reasonably well.

5 minutes ago, div said:

I grew to like Samson during his last spell with us, and he was an integral part of the 2013 cup winning team, but for me that ship has now sailed.

He had a poor season at Motherwell last term and is another one who doesn't take command of his area enough. Another puncher.

Perhaps at this level he's as good as we're going to get and I'm being a bit grumpy and unreasonable.

I was about to post the exact same. Had him down as Ross's first " meh " signing. Hopefully young Stewart will be first choice going into the new season with Samson and Langfield helping him along !

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

What a signing this would be.  He's been our best keeper since Money IMO.

Had the fear we were going to go with O'Brien and the kid from Albion Rovers.

Better than Ludo?

Difficult to compare goalkeepers, playing in different Saints teams at different levels but for me Ludo was a far better keeper than Samson.

Paul Gallagher was also better than Sammy in my opinion.

1 minute ago, div said:

Difficult to compare goalkeepers, playing in different Saints teams at different levels but for me Ludo was a far better keeper than Samson.

Paul Gallagher was also better than Sammy in my opinion.

I might add Hinchcliffe to that list.

Probably not appropriate to send the thread in the direction of unfavourably comparing a likely new signing to others, right enough.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

I might add Hinchcliffe to that list.

Probably not appropriate to send the thread in the direction of unfavourably comparing a likely new signing to others, right enough.

Yes I liked Hinchy.

And you're probably right.

No Saints goalkeeper has ever come close to Dibble for me though, he really was the best. Ridiculous he never got capped for the full national team.

13 minutes ago, div said:

Yes I liked Hinchy.

No Saints goalkeeper has ever come close to Dibble for me though, he really was the best. Ridiculous he never got capped for the full national team.

I agree should have been capped at least once although goalkeeper is the one position Scotland have always seemed to have strength in depth!

Leighton,Thompson,Goram all competing for the jersey around that time.

Hinchy is probably the last good solid keeper we had!

Edited by Svard svard

Decent signing. Samson is experienced, and will do a job at this level. I do hope he doesn't expect to be guaranteed the number 1 spot as Langfield clearly did when he was brought in and Ridgers dropped unceremoniously despite having played pretty well. We need competition, and if the youngster is good enough he should have that chance of taking the first choice jersey.

As for best keepers, I'd say Ludo, Gallagher, Hinchcliffe all at least on a par with Samson, who I did like as a keeper. Nobody tops Dibble.

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Happy enough to have Samson back but does a Championship club like us need two f/t keepers? I'd have risked going with Stewart & having Langfield and the youth keeper as backup.

With Langfield having a coaching role I'd imagine Samson who is still only 33-y-o is coming in as first choice, provisionally!

Must go with 2 capable goalkeepers plus Jamie for three good reasons;

1) Keepers prone to injury/suspension. Still need to have one on the bench in that situation

2) Two good keepers keeps the pressure on for the one that has the jersey to perform, otherwise he knows he'll get dropped.

3) The most important. It greatly reduces the chances of Langfield getting a game :D

37 minutes ago, div said:

Yes I liked Hinchy.

Billy Thompson was the best I have seen followed by Dibble and Denis Connaghan.

Just now, nedflanders123 said:

Billy Thompson was the best I have seen followed by Dibble and Denis Connaghan.

Thompson made too many high profile mistakes in huge games for me.

Cost us two cup final appearances with his howlers at Dens Park and Hampden.

I wonder what the script was with O'Brien.

Did JR ultimately not rate him, or was it down to wages and Billy not fancying it?

Idle speculation, and we'll probably never know. He has my best wishes for his future career, wherever it takes him.

Edited by Drew

16 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Good decision to bring Sammy back, we couldn't realistically go into the new season with two inexperienced keepers.

We went into the 78/79 with 2 keepers who didn't have a single first team appearance between them.

They turned out to be the 2 greatest keepers the club has ever had.

1 hour ago, div said:

In fairness Samson had a terrible Motherwell defence in front of him.