Craig Samson

5 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

We went into the 78/79 with 2 keepers who didn't have a single first team appearance between them.

They turned out to be the 2 greatest keepers the club has ever had.

First choice at beginning of 78-79 was Ally McLean , he was outstanding in the season opener , the win at Ibrox !

5 minutes ago, billyg said:

First choice at beginning of 78-79 was Ally McLean , he was outstanding in the season opener , the win at Ibrox !

I knew you would correct me!

But once Thomson arrived, we essentially had 2 keepers, neither of whom had played first team football before the start of the season!

Would rather we didn't sign him since the ball seems to go through his hand most of the time now. Add to that I hate keepers that wont move off the goal line at corners. Hopefully Stewart will start the season as 1st choice.

1 hour ago, div said:

Thompson made too many high profile mistakes in huge games for me.

Cost us two cup final appearances with his howlers at Dens Park and Hampden.

3 in my book

He made many eye catching saves but too many errors

That's why Stein never really played him over Alan Rough who was average

Money was more solid

6 minutes ago, barrhead saint said:

I thought that too, until I read this.

Keep the faith......................

This is the Saints revolution \!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember how Samson got treated.................. He is back, and in the words of Shull, he is a L E G E N D

7 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

didn't rate Samson at all,all good strikers drilled the ball low and hard and Samson too slow or didn't move legs,static,horrendous at corner kicks etc,not for me,my opinion

Seem to remember a certain penalty save in Semi that scuppers that......

Happy enough to have Samson back but does a Championship club like us need two f/t keepers? I'd have risked going with Stewart & having Langfield and the youth keeper as backup.
With Langfield having a coaching role I'd imagine Samson who is still only 33-y-o is coming in as first choice, provisionally!

I'd say we do need 2 full time keepers, and a third as backup. I'll use Raith Rovers as the example for my reasoning. All be it, the chances of having all three registered keepers injured at the same time are slim, I'd rather be looking at them than for them.

I'm surprised at the reaction to this. 33 years old is nothing for a keeper so no issue with that. This is a guy who played in the top league for us regularly and won a national cup. Was he also not called into the Scotland squad at one point?

Maybe worth remembering what level we are at these days.

Excellent, solid signing. Just what we needed.

27 minutes ago, yardley1877 said:

I'm surprised at the reaction to this. 33 years old is nothing for a keeper so no issue with that. This is a guy who played in the top league for us regularly and won a national cup. Was he also not called into the Scotland squad at one point?

Maybe worth remembering what level we are at these days.

Excellent, solid signing. Just what we needed.

Yeah that's fair. I'm never a huge fan of going back the way but I suppose that's hypocritical when I laud Stephen McGinn as our best player and want us to sign Rory Loy for a third time!

Welcome home Sammy :D

3 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

We went into the 78/79 with 2 keepers who didn't have a single first team appearance between them.

They turned out to be the 2 greatest keepers the club has ever had.

Ross Stewart was named as the best keeper in league one last season and has a good few games under his belt, so I suppose it's not that much of a risk moving up a level to the championship for him. Sammy brings great experience and could well play a huge part for us this coming season. I do however agree with you as regards to both keepers in 78/79 but the risks involved with a managers reputation these days going for two inexperienced keepers, would be a step too far imho.

Edited by class of 76-77