Craig Samson

3 hours ago, shull said:

He played very well yesterday. 

Apart from his monumental blunders  at their goal. 

Firstly at the missing of the cross ball. 

Then the hilarious dive trying to stop the ball from the header. 

Dinnae matter really, as we are scoring hunners up the other end against Goalies who are actually worse than Sammy. 

You still sniffing the glue?

A little bit "meh" for me this one.
I grew to like Samson during his last spell with us, and he was an integral part of the 2013 cup winning team, but for me that ship has now sailed.
He had a poor season at Motherwell last term and is another one who doesn't take command of his area enough. Another puncher.
Perhaps at this level he's as good as we're going to get and I'm being a bit grumpy and unreasonable.

This was how I felt about him signing.

I felt even worse about it after the Dundee "friendly"...........however the big man has had some brilliant one on one saves at crucial points of certain matches and is regularly pushing, McGinn/McShane/Smith(x2)/Reilly for the man of the match (-Morgan) awards.

He is a really important part of the team's backbone. Well in Sammo!!!

Guest TPAFKATS
I watched MOTD & Sportscene last night. The keepers in Engerlund regularly take a touch or ten and very seldom come under pressure (unless Jamie vardey is about) while up here there is usually someone closing them down and most of them lump it up the park  as quickly as they can . 

When I see the pace it's coming back to him, I'd like to see him take a controlling touch first - when he has time of course

29 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

He still has a weakness when the shot (or header) goes across his body, just like yesterday. It's as if he doesn't know where his far post is. Lost count of how many goals he's lost in that situation. Apart from that, he's more than decent for this level.

It was the defenders job to deal with the cross that led to their goal yesterday . 

42 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I never said that he "cost" us any goals. I think you should go back and read my post again since you obviously didn't understand it first time.

9 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

He still has a weakness when the shot (or header) goes across his body, just like yesterday. It's as if he doesn't know where his far post is. Lost count of how many goals he's lost in that situation. Apart from that, he's more than decent for this level.

Ok . You said "Lost count of how many goals he's lost in that situation" . Obviously completely different.

Can you name 10 goals he's lost "in that situation ".

5 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

FFS, I point out an obvious weakness in his game, all players have them, and you suddenly start assuming that I'm having a dig at him. He's always had this weakness (see just about every goal that Griffiths scored against us for Hibs during Sammy's last spell with us) and I thought that he might have improved in that part of his game while away, but obviously not. I never said that any of the goals he has lost have been his "fault", just that it is a weakness. Now, go and wind your f**king neck in.

We'll agree to disagree then .

I like Samson, he's more than decent at this level. I think what people forget sometimes is that St Mirren are playing in the 2nd tier in Scotland. It's true that he's never been great with shots, particularly low shots, across his goal, but all the players we sign will have their limitations or weaknesses. The same thing happened when Billy Mehmet was with us, his all-round contribution was excellent, but people would constantly moan about his finishing, which was the part of his game that often let him down. Let's face it though,  if he'd been as good a finisher as he was a footballer, he wouldn't have been playing with us, It's that simple. What you need to find at a club like ours is a group of players who's strengths and weaknesses create a balance across the squad, I think we have that, more or less. 

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

FFS, I point out an obvious weakness in his game, all players have them, and you suddenly start assuming that I'm having a dig at him. He's always had this weakness (see just about every goal that Griffiths scored against us for Hibs during Sammy's last spell with us) and I thought that he might have improved in that part of his game while away, but obviously not. I never said that any of the goals he has lost have been his "fault", just that it is a weakness. Now, go and wind your f**king neck in.

You got off lightly from one of the " TRUE FAN TUMSHIE " critics.

• 10 months later...