Women's World Cup Final. Yanks v Holland

shull

8 hours ago, farmer john said:

I was out working early yesterday morning, listening to Radio Scotland on my wee tranny. Yes, I still have my fave wee tranny

When I heard Erin Cuthert say, something along the lines of.
"If we bring our A Game then we KNOW Argentina cant live with us"........my heart shudderred and blood ran cold!
I knew there and there Scotland ladies were O.U.T oot.
Over confidence, hubris,over estimation of skill......secretly cocky.
VAR is absolute utter shite though. As many have said, some before last night's penalty kick farce. It will be the ruination of the game.

Yep. That was a stupid thing for her to say. She's only 20 I think and hopefully she'll learn.

7 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Eh? 🤡

Utter bluster and nothing to do with the point comparing women's football to another comparable standard.

I would suggest that the physical attributes will ensure there are ALWAYS a gulf between women and mens football.

This isn't BLOW FOOTBALL, your speciality, we are talking about is it? :1eye

You show, again, you know nothing about football. :lol:

PS In your attempts to cloud the issue you seem to think that I was being detrimental to women's football. :byebye

What the hell are you wittering on about?

Football is pretty much a contact-free sport.

Has been for years.

Messi seems to do quite well despite being a twig of a man up against hulking defenders every week. Plenty of the women pkaying are much bigger than him.

Get your arse off the sofa and go to a game once in a while. 🤣

Edited by oaksoft

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Has been for years.

Messi seems to do quite well despite being a twig of a man up against hulking defenders every week. Plenty of the women pkaying are much bigger than him.

Proof, if proof were needed, you have no idea about football. 🤡

Going by your reckoning this "rule" would be the same for tennis?   :lol:

Remind me, what games have you attend recently? :byebye

Has been for years.

So you don’t think that speed has got anything to do with it? [emoji1]

:1eye

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

So you don’t think that speed has got anything to do with it? emoji1.png

:1eye

Don't think he's seen Messi.....................quite a strong "twig"  :lol:

Start a list where the sports that are "pretty much contact free" women could compete with me......................athletics? :1eye

Don't think he's seen Messi.....................quite a strong "twig"  :lol:
Start a list where the sports that are "pretty much contact free" women could compete with me......................athletics? :1eye

All these clubs with all these huge lumbering defenders are obviously all wrong then as football is now pretty much contact free! [emoji23]

And yes, looking forward to Usain Bolt’s 100m record getting broken by a woman, a woman running a sub 2.03 marathon and a woman taking on Tiger Woods!

After all, these sports are all contact free! [emoji23]

Retake?
Really?

Penalised for being quick to react... Quick enough to save a penalty despite the new rules.

Why not just handcuff the keeper to one post? FB_IMG_1560985686882.jpeg.8f34563eda3777795f7b16e8236f54c8.jpeg

I checked today older rules concerning penalties as l seemed to recall keepers being unable to move their feet at all until the kick was taken. Sure enough that part of the rules was only removed in 1997. In many respects keepers have been given too much leeway for the last twenty years. A penalty should penalise the team who committed the foul. I taught lee Alexander and feel for her and the team but the rules changed three weeks ago and given what was seen throughout this tournament and indeed in our playoff keepers need to recognise and train to adhere to new rules. I blame the manager anyway for the result as after they scored their first it was evident fresh legs were required. At least my pupils were able to experience the misery of Scotland missing out on qualifying during finals for the first time

My tuppence worth. Penalty all day long . Retake was harsh but the rule has been there for years , f**king stupid of FIFA to chose this moment to rigorously enforce them , why not give the girls the regular season to get to grips with it . When all is said and done, they ( Scotland) f**ked up , 3-0 lead , 16 minutes to go , the players and manager should have had enough in them to see the game out . They did well getting there and I’m sure they will be stronger for the experience... but hey ho , that’s Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿!

Hasn't it been the case we, and other teams, have had to get players to work on their strength...........................can't be, it's not required.........for blow football. 

And Novac Djokovic doesn’t need speed and strength either!

Any woman would be able to return his serve and he’d have no chance against Serena William’s serve.

It’s a non contact sport after all! [emoji1]

I'm not sure if it's a lack of women in your life to educate you or whether you just don't care but for what it's worth let me fill you in on the reality for young girls who want to play football.

The damage is done at a very young age (5 to 16 yrs old). That crucial 10,000 hours you might have heard of in the men's game? MUCH harder to get for girls.

There are significantly fewer opportunities for girls to play football than for boys for a start.

There is less competition and the standard doesn't allow for the very best in the country to fully achieve their potential. A bit like trapping Celtic in Scotland and wondering why they struggle against mid-level teams in Europe.

There are fewer girls clubs than boys. Fewer leagues. Fewer coaches at that level. Less money in the girls game so it's harder to get things like pitches etc.

It doesn't matter who then coaches them at 16 to 18 because the damage has been done in the previous decade.

There is no genetic reason whatsoever why women's football should be worse than men's football.

This is about money, opportunity and attitude.

More than that, it's about educating stupid old men who haven't a clue what they are talking about.

Which is why there is no gap between the performances of men and women in athletics.

Er, hang on..... [emoji23]

Btw, your last line is a bit harsh on yourself!

Just watching the Germany Nigeria game and I think VAR is causing problems. The referee has made an horrendous decision for the penalty. I think it's more to do with having the time to see the German player has been hurt rather than what actually caused it. The Nigerian player tries to hit the ball, doesn't get clean contact, though does hit the ball, and her momentum means she hits the German's knee. 

24 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Just watching the Germany Nigeria game and I think VAR is causing problems. The referee has made an horrendous decision for the penalty. I think it's more to do with having the time to see the German player has been hurt rather than what actually caused it. The Nigerian player tries to hit the ball, doesn't get clean contact, though does hit the ball, and her momentum means she hits the German's knee. 

There's never enough emphasis given to intent in football. I get fed up listening to guys like Chris Sutton looking to have players sent off  for the angle their foot is at, rather than focusing on whether there is actually genuine intent to win the ball, or not.

Same with handballs. Focus should be on intent, first and foremost.  VAR only gives you a better look at it. Biggest problem is the double whammy of shit refs enforcing flawed laws.

On that note, it was refreshing to hear the three female pundits point out that the standard of refereeing has been woeful, and it should be the best available top level refs in charge of these games, irrespective of their gender.